Can you recommend one living jazz muscian that I should know about

gonefishin

I'm looking through some of the previous posts in this circle and I see various RIP, this person and what is the best jazz from a bygone era posts.  I do love those posts.  But I also know that there are plenty of worthwhile jazz musicians who are living today that I would love to see in person.

So, who is that living jazz musician that I should seek out?  Maybe just to listen to an album or find them in concert, let me know. 

(one recommendation per post)

Thanks!

gonefishin

Christian McBride would be my first recommendation.  One of my favorite musicians alive today

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page

Bob Stark

If you like bass, which I do, in addition to Christian McBride, Stanley Clarke, Victor Wooten, Brian Bromberg, and up and coming Dan Chmielinski--he was voted top jazz bass player in the entire midwest WHEN HE WAS 16, and all the rest were at least 25 that were voted in their respective instruments.  He is now about 24.  Joe Sample, once of the Crusaders, is a really good jazz piano player.  If you like fusion jazz, Michael Franks, David Sanborn, Chris Botti, the group Fourplay, and Bob James.  Singer wise, Dianne Reeves--multiple Grammy winner, along with Manhattan Transfer, and Natalie Cole.  More would be Bela Fleck and the Flecktones.

rockadanny

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
The Manhattan Jazz Quintet
Lew Soloff, George Young, David Matthews, Eddie Gomez, and Steve Gadd.  You probably already know Gomez and Gadd. 
All are on the gradient from good to great musicians, and the sum exceeds the parts.  Look for the "My Funny Valentine" as excellent music in a demo quality recording. 

dB Cooper

^The above album is not on Tidal or Apple Music  :cry:
These are well known musicians FFS...

Todd Marcus (Bass clarinet and clarinet)

I erased a bunch after goibg back and noting your one recommendation per post request. The music is out there.

findog3103

the British scene is fantastic right now.

Moses Boyd
Sons of Kemet
Nubya Garcia
Shabaka Hutchings (The Comet is Coming)
Yazmin Lacey
Theon Cross

From Chicago
Makaya McCraven

From Norway
Hedvig Mollestad

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
^The above album is not on Tidal or Apple Music  :cry:
These are well known musicians FFS...

I'm not surprised.  Although New York is in the name, they were initially put together by jazz aficianodoes in Japan, and their earlier (and best) recordings were made in Japan.  Even the CD's can be a bit pricey.  I bought my vinyl copies out of Japan and bit the bullet to get them here. 

sebrof

Joshua Redman

steve k

Charles Lloyd---incredible reed man whom everyone has played with including Brad Mehldau, John Abercrombie, Billy Higgins, Dave Holland, Larry Grenadier, Michel Pettruciani, Billy Hart, Jason Moran, Eric Harland, Bill Frisell, Keith Jarrett to name a few.

billc

Vocals: Cécile McLorin Salvant

Piano: Chick Corea

:thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Unfortunatelly Michel Pettruciani passed away in 1999 at only 36yo.
Seems Keith Jarrett is no more humming what is a great improvement but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6tIzxmPCQE

Russell Dawkins

Unfortunatelly Michel Pettruciani passed away in 1999 at only 36yo.
Seems Keith Jarrett is no more humming what is a great improvement but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6tIzxmPCQE

'but', indeed.

Scott F.

Hey Gonefishin, been a while!

If I were to point you to one musician, it would be Pat Metheny. If I were to pick a single album from his catalog it would probably be Beyond the Missouri Sky where he paired up with Charlie Hayden.

https://www.patmetheny.com/music/

His catalog starts back in the 70's which is when I first listened to him. If memory serves, he's got over 40 Grammy's. Between his Group, solo and collaborative efforts, I think he's got north of 60 releases that cover ALL styles of jazz.

He's certainly one of my fav's  :thumb:

dpatters

+1 on Pat Metheny. I’ve seen him several times live. Always puts on a top notch performance.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
I enjoyed very much First Circle but I dont understand some Metheny solo albums:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0JPGo9woRo

timind

• permanent vacation
Brad Mehldau is the first that came to my mind when reading the thread title.

ric

I think the question should be, "can you recommend one living jazz musician I SHOULDN'T  know about.
That would be a much shorter list.