M3 Sapphires Compared to M3TM (early impressions)

Audiosaurusrex

Re: M3 Sapphires Compared to M3TM (early impressions)
« Reply #60 on: 19 Dec 2019, 10:13 pm »
Mine arrived yesterday...Box is big, packed well.  Allot of rotation of speakers to get at feet out.  Lay speakers on their side (when in styrofoam )  to remove feet from top of styrofoam, one is on each end of the speaker. Have an electric drill charged and ready to go to remove screws for feet attachment? I got no instructions on how to install but nothing too hard. Remember you are handling 85 lbs. and sequencing all of the unpacking is important.
   This is the first time I have had OB speakers so this is new to me. They sound great to me right out of the box. The bass is so distinct and resolved even if they are not broken in yet. The music sound is so coherent. Vocals are rich and smooth.  The high end guitar in Riviera Paradise is not what I am used to, but the overall sound across the spectrum sounds better to me.  I want more high end at this point but this might be that I have never heard bass or coherent sound like this. My other speaker's overemphasis the high end because the bass is not true. Given I understand bass better it may be more of my learned hearing.  We shall see as this unfolds.

Great Christmas Gift Timing! Congrats!
I'm still waiting for mine. What finish did you get? Would love to see some pics. I will be an OB newbie and I have to say I still love listening to my Vandersteens. Gonna do some side by side comparions.

timing3435

« Reply #61 on: 19 Dec 2019, 10:34 pm »
Box is big!

timing3435

« Reply #62 on: 19 Dec 2019, 10:39 pm »
Max our mighty dog love the sound

timing3435

« Reply #63 on: 19 Dec 2019, 10:41 pm »
Max likes the sound

timing3435

« Reply #64 on: 19 Dec 2019, 10:47 pm »
New house with M3S

TrungT

« Reply #65 on: 20 Dec 2019, 05:11 am »

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #66 on: 20 Dec 2019, 12:22 pm »

Very Nice Timing, New House, New Speakers, What is the rest of your system?

Shakeydeal

« Reply #67 on: 20 Dec 2019, 01:23 pm »
Looks nice. I love that color. Keep us posted on the sound as they break in.

Shakey

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #68 on: 20 Dec 2019, 03:35 pm »
And remember, if you find the treble not lively enough, you can change the speaker wire to the tweeter.  Right now it uses the Duelund speaker wire if I'm not mistaken, and that is a pretty warm sounding wire. 

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #69 on: 20 Dec 2019, 03:53 pm »
And remember, if you find the treble not lively enough, you can change the speaker wire to the tweeter.  Right now it uses the Duelund speaker wire if I'm not mistaken, and that is a pretty warm sounding wire.

Looks like Duelund wire to me.

You can also experiment with distance from the front wall which can change tonal balance between bass and treble.  The speakers look very nice in that room.  As far as break-in I do not think you will get more lively treble but the naturalness of the tweeter will improve considerably.  And I have experienced another level up improvement with imaging.  I thought my tweeter was broken in and I was satisfied.  But all the sudden the depth of stage increased and image focus improved.

timing3435

« Reply #70 on: 21 Dec 2019, 02:50 pm »
Thanks. I have gone back and read your posts and others and my conclusion is- I need to have patience with these speakers. Clayton warned me but that is not my strength! I took your suggestion and moved te speakers out 3ft from the back of the wall to the face of the speaker. I have a coffered ceiling, 30 degrees up then flat, then 30 degrees down( flattened cathedral).  The speakers are moved to just under where the ceiling goes flat.  When I walk in and out of the sound stage the musical sound I want is centered at the 30-degree angle very high up, it sounds wonderful but I have to look up and I have to be standing to get at that sound. I need to get the sound stage/image moved down? 
  I am very satisfied with the complexity of the sound. "Never heard that before" moments are frequent with these speakers with the music I am very familiar with. I am very excited to hear songs over and over as these things unfold there potential. img]https://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=202308[/img]

timing3435

« Reply #71 on: 21 Dec 2019, 02:51 pm »

timing3435

« Reply #72 on: 21 Dec 2019, 03:11 pm »

timing3435

« Reply #73 on: 21 Dec 2019, 03:35 pm »
I have got to convince my wife to let me move the hutch to see if that changes things. I also need to get some acoustic treatment going? The speaker's size was a shock to her." That changes the decore" was the comment, not "Oh they look nice". Open to suggestions but this is the room I have been relegated to.

Jprod

« Reply #74 on: 21 Dec 2019, 03:59 pm »
I have got to convince my wife to let me move the hutch to see if that changes things. I also need to get some acoustic treatment going? The speaker's size was a shock to her." That changes the decore" was the comment, not "Oh they look nice". Open to suggestions but this is the room I have been relegated to.

:lol:  May I ask how long you have been married ?  If you are a rookie “that changes the decor” means “ I hate them.” The ideal speaker for most women would be a tiny wireless bookshelf that’s in the hutch and out of sight.
Maybe if you place a brand new Louis Vuitton bag on top of one they will look better to her.  Good luck ! BTW I have been there and feel your pain

timing3435

« Reply #75 on: 21 Dec 2019, 04:05 pm »
 20 years. The decorating fees for this house is the price I pay for getting them. The ratio is 10 to 1 her way in the long run....Buy the speaker, duck and hope they get to stay.  :D

Jprod

« Reply #76 on: 21 Dec 2019, 04:18 pm »
20 years. The decorating fees for this house is the price I pay for getting them. The ratio is 10 to 1 her way in the long run....Buy the speaker, duck and hope they get to stay.  :D
Spoken like a true veteran.  Unfortunately they don’t see it that way with the 10:1 ratio.  I have a small corner in the unfinished part of my basement with boxes to go home theater and audio equipment that takes up at most 10% of the space.  The rest is her “stuff”.  On occasion I hear what are we doing about all those boxes ? My response I will get rid of them when you get rid of your stuff. That usually ends the conversation

Anyway for what it’s worth I think they look great ! Congrats!

RonN5

« Reply #77 on: 21 Dec 2019, 04:19 pm »
Those speakers look great with that Hutch...but what about the following idea.  Why not put some felt sliders on the feet which would allow you to slide them back closer to the wall which might make her happy from a visual perspective and then just slide them out for listening.  And, if they are closer to the back wall and angled in, they will look visually smaller which should also help.

In addition, the sliders would make it easier for you to experiment with how much toe in sounds best.

Good luck!

timing3435

« Reply #78 on: 21 Dec 2019, 04:26 pm »
Speaker camouflage would be something Clayton could look into. She likes the Buchardt S400 bookshelves more and they are great. They do not, however, hold a candle to these in a room this size and the bass definition at this time. Once I get the sound stage worked out and they are broken in I think she will turn the corner but it has to pass muster on her songs... First Time I Ever Saw His Face and Riveria Paradise. Riveria Paradise is where I need the high end to shine.  They better sound great when they break in because the decor is can sometimes trump all things.

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #79 on: 21 Dec 2019, 07:22 pm »

My lady says she loves the speakers, lose the hutch!  :lol: