GR stuff WE (Group) have built-The Picture Edition

bc1nurse

Re: GR stuff WE (Group) have built-The Picture Edition
« Reply #140 on: 18 Oct 2020, 05:39 am »
Wow! Such an inspiration. I hope to be able to build a pair - but I know I'm not in same zip code as most in the woodworking skills department.

TankTop

« Reply #141 on: 31 Oct 2020, 06:00 pm »
Sure, Here it is:

Very cool, I’ve often thought a subwoofer should be a piece of furniture. That is beautiful

acerichanus

« Reply #142 on: 11 Nov 2020, 07:14 pm »
Very inspiring work. If I mess something up I call it "rustic" to hide the imperfections!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #143 on: 12 Nov 2020, 04:49 pm »
Very inspiring work. If I mess something up I call it "rustic" to hide the imperfections!

Back when I built houses we would occasionally beat the kitchen cabinets with chains and put scorch marks on them to make them look old. Now they have a name for that, distressed.  :thumb:

kmoser

« Reply #144 on: 1 Jan 2021, 06:08 pm »

Bradlose

« Reply #145 on: 30 Jan 2021, 10:17 pm »
Xls Encore

JTS410

« Reply #146 on: 15 Feb 2021, 05:43 am »
Xls Encore

Nice clean build....glad to see some recent stuff showing up here. 

-Jay

mflaming

« Reply #147 on: 29 Mar 2021, 02:59 pm »
Hey guys, just wanted to share a project update real quick. I've posted some images and questions elsewhere in this forum, but will summarize here. Three to four months ago I had never even considered building a speaker and now my first project is nearly complete. There are some spectacular build threads on this site of large complex designs, but my system is a little simpler. Hopefully some of the other beginners out there will be encouraged.

Veneer is rift sawn white oak with one coat Weatherwood Reclamation reactive stain (two coats on sub) plus one coat of Waterlox sealer and six coats Waterlox satin finish. Its a copy of the finish described by Peter Rawlings on his youtube channel, but mine came out much darker due to the veneer type.

System is very budget oriented - Onkyo integrated and CD player, Arylic streamer, Rega TT. I selected the base XLS x-over, no-no res, base level terminals. I have some plans for improvements, but am really enjoying them as-built. I'm not getting much performance out of the sub just yet - hope to make some improvements there soon...

« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2021, 09:10 pm by mflaming »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #148 on: 29 Mar 2021, 08:42 pm »
Finally finished my XLS project. Veneer is rift sawn white oak with one coat of Weatherwood Reclamation, one coat of Waterlox sealer and six coats Waterlox satin finish. I followed the same process as Peter on one of his youtube videos, but got a very different result. Rift sawn oak seems to be much more reactive with this type of stain. They turned out way darker than I wanted, but I like them anyway. sorry i dont know how to rotate the image

I love darker stains on wood, those look amazing.

JWCoffman

« Reply #149 on: 29 Mar 2021, 09:14 pm »
Agreed, those look fantastic and they are a great contrast with your existing media console.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #150 on: 30 Mar 2021, 03:07 pm »
Hey guys, just wanted to share a project update real quick. I've posted some images and questions elsewhere in this forum, but will summarize here. Three to four months ago I had never even considered building a speaker and now my first project is nearly complete. There are some spectacular build threads on this site of large complex designs, but my system is a little simpler. Hopefully some of the other beginners out there will be encouraged.

Veneer is rift sawn white oak with one coat Weatherwood Reclamation reactive stain (two coats on sub) plus one coat of Waterlox sealer and six coats Waterlox satin finish. Its a copy of the finish described by Peter Rawlings on his youtube channel, but mine came out much darker due to the veneer type.

System is very budget oriented - Onkyo integrated and CD player, Arylic streamer, Rega TT. I selected the base XLS x-over, no-no res, base level terminals. I have some plans for improvements, but am really enjoying them as-built. I'm not getting much performance out of the sub just yet - hope to make some improvements there soon...
I like 'em. It's been a while since I've seen the pair I did on YouTube, but I think I like yours better. I've found there's an element of unpredictability when using the reactive stains. Kinda the nature of the beast, I suppose. Anyway, Kudos on your project!

mflaming

« Reply #151 on: 30 Mar 2021, 04:08 pm »
I'm enjoying the dark color as well even though it was kind of an accident. I emailed Weatherwood and they suggest one of their finish products called White Oil. It will bring out more of the grey tones in the reactive stain. I may try that on my next project.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #152 on: 14 Apr 2021, 12:06 pm »
The pair of 6x12 modular sub cabinets that were made by Ruben, but captainhemo now makes.

All now loaded with Danny's servo subs and using 4x Rythmik HX300-12OB servo amps.

roscoe65

« Reply #153 on: 14 Apr 2021, 12:35 pm »

You might get better bass from the subwoofer if you move it toward the corner a bit more.

VinceT

« Reply #154 on: 14 Apr 2021, 01:55 pm »
Back when I built houses we would occasionally beat the kitchen cabinets with chains and put scorch marks on them to make them look old. Now they have a name for that, distressed.  :thumb:

Kind of reminds me of the music instrument world where they beat up a guitar or bass to make it look really old, they refer to it as a relic finish. I wonder how you could distress or relic speakers? Maybe make some rings on the top where the wife put a plant and damaged the finish, push in the dome tweeter from the toddler, or recreate when the cat used the speaker cover as a scratching post.  :x

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #155 on: 14 Apr 2021, 02:15 pm »
The pair of 6x12 modular sub cabinets that were made by Ruben, but captainhemo now makes.

All now loaded with Danny's servo subs and using 4x Rythmik HX300-12OB servo amps.

Rich are you trying to separate the house from it's foundation?  :thumb:
-Lloyd

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #156 on: 14 Apr 2021, 02:23 pm »
Lloyd,
With 6in of poured concrete under them, not even budging! :)

Rich

bryanl9581

« Reply #157 on: 20 Apr 2021, 06:28 pm »
I finished my servo sub build and the results are below.  I used ash for the veneer and a grey gel stain and an oil and wax clear top coat.  I didn't expect the effect to be so stripy, but it turned out ok.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #158 on: 20 Apr 2021, 07:26 pm »
That sub looks fantastic!   :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #159 on: 20 Apr 2021, 07:28 pm »
That sub looks perfect with your carpet.