anyone dig the Pretenders

2bigears

anyone dig the Pretenders
« on: 5 Feb 2009, 02:39 am »
 :D  just spun the Pretenders - Last of the Independents,,,,man that cd kicks ass.was their more great work by these guys also mesa don't knowsa bout'' ... great cover on this album too :thumb: :D

Magnetar

Re: anyone dig the Pretenders
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2009, 03:02 am »
:D  just spun the Pretenders - Last of the Independents,,,,man that cd kicks ass.was their more great work by these guys also mesa don't knowsa bout'' ... great cover on this album too :thumb: :D

They are a local band to me.. Get The Isle of View - Live, great concert, excellent sonics, CD and DVD only

bunnyma357

« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2009, 03:22 am »
Assuming you probably have their first album "The Pretenders" - pretty much a perfect disc, lots of great songs and the original band before lots of OD's and turmoil. "Learning to Crawl" is pretty good as well as their "comeback" disc.

I'll have to check out "Last of the Independents"

Jim C

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2009, 03:23 am »
Pretenders I and II rock like there's no tomorrow.  Honeyman-Scott and Farndon were surely missed after that...what a waste.   As has been pointed out, they frequented us up here in NE Ohio a lot, Chrissie being from Akron area originally.

Magnetar

« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb 2009, 03:28 am »
Pretenders I and II rock like there's no tomorrow.  Honeyman-Scott and Farndon were surely missed after that...what a waste.   As has been pointed out, they frequented us up here in NE Ohio a lot, Chrissie being from Akron area originally.

Chrissie opened a restaurant here in Akron, she also bought the old Civic theater.. Great place for a concert!!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #5 on: 5 Feb 2009, 03:36 am »
Can't add anything.  Just think The Pretenders, their first, in one of the best albums of the decade.  Went so far as to buy the Nautilus half speed mastered version.

2bigears

« Reply #6 on: 5 Feb 2009, 03:44 am »
 :D  hey thks guys,you are most lucky to be close to a talent like that!!!! we have trees up here :duh:let my fingers take me to Amazon music store for all of the above.1/2 speed vinyl,now you got me  :drool: :drool: :drool: big time.  thks  .. side notes,is there any other bands that can do this,venture to say not....Ted,playing as always with the Revs and found some hidden sonics thats blowing me away,i mean it's freaking me out.i don't think they are for sale any longer,more to follow on that note. :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #7 on: 5 Feb 2009, 05:35 am »
Pat....

Early Pretenders albums were very good... 8)

You might also take a listen to a few of these....around the same time...

Joe Jackson....Look Sharp........I'm The Man.......and if you can find it.....BIG WORLD...(Recorded live at a small venue in Manhattan, you will not hear an audience because they were asked to remain quiet. Its a good recording)

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #8 on: 5 Feb 2009, 05:45 am »
I have a couple of their albums,,, The Singles and Learning To Crawl. Good stuff! :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

2bigears

« Reply #9 on: 5 Feb 2009, 06:21 am »
 :D thks you guys,that old music is where it's at,no question.can you say....bring back the old days,layin' rubber in your 1970 LS6 Chevelle 4 stick,getting 5 mpg....man i an about to tear up :lol:

XKevinX

« Reply #10 on: 6 Feb 2009, 01:11 am »
I like Learning to Crawl and Get Close.

Kevin

funkmonkey

« Reply #11 on: 6 Feb 2009, 02:48 am »
 :thumb:

I like 'em.  Picked up the deluxe versions of Pretenders I, II, and Learning to Crawl around a year ago...  great stuff, the bonus live tracks are worth the few extra dollars IMO.  It took several years for me to update from the vinyl and cassette versions that I've had through the years. I no longer have a turntable in the house, and haven't listened to a tape in 6 or 7 years, now I am firmly in the digital domain.

Great band.

slev

« Reply #12 on: 6 Feb 2009, 04:09 am »
I use watching the clothes go 'round to test the rock factor of any new equipment.  If I'm not dancing with the tune, it's gotta go...