Long USB run to DAC

neep

Long USB run to DAC
« on: 7 Feb 2015, 05:49 am »
I need to run a USB cable from my iMac to my Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2. I've heard you shouldn't run a cable longer than 15 feet with out a "repeater" ? Can anybody link me to what I need on Amazon? Would really appreciate it!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Long USB run to DAC
« Reply #1 on: 7 Feb 2015, 01:35 pm »
I'm in a similar situation, about 33 feet of cable needed to reach from iMac.  Did a bunch of research, decided it just wasn't going to work well enough to justify "cobbling long USB cables together with a repeater" for use with a nice DAC (like putting bald tires on a Ferrari).  So have been limping along with a $6 Monoprice 35 foot optical cable with, surprisingly, almost no dropouts for the past year.  (Ethernet is designed for longer runs, but few DACs accept it.)  Some USB cables can be bought that are longer than 15 feet, but in general longer USB cables are frowned upon  (few high-end cables are even offered beyond 2 meters).

Rather than spend thousands on a long (and compromised) hi-end USB cable, you'd be better off having a dedicated mini to get the most out of your DAC.

But the idea of having 4 Apple products in the same room (iMac, mini, iPad for control, and iPhone) and still needing screen/keyboard (or some kind of work around) for setup/maintenance drove me nuts.  Finally decided to keep life simply by settling with my MacBook from the listening chair (8 feet) to back of equipment rack and probably a Halide HD that is affordable and highly rated (which has captive USB/RCA cables that can be ordered up to 15 feet long).

Hope this helps.  Please let us know what you decide to do.

davidgrace

« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2018, 02:43 am »
I had always wondered why I couldn't find a USB cable longer than 15' for use in my new tree house/second floor of the garage music room.
I needed up using my older 13" MacBook Pro with much of my library burned to a hardrive and fed to a Mytek Brooklyn DAC/preamp. Works great.

cody69

« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2018, 10:36 am »
I have several long runs in my house and use apple airport express units... but my dacs have optical input vs usb. I dont know if there are other wireless devices that will handle your situation and provide the sound quality you want. Good luck.

randytsuch

« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2018, 06:02 pm »
Max cable length for usb 2.0 is 5 meters.

gefski

« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2018, 06:52 pm »
There are Ethernet solutions that are extremely transparent, even over long distances. After years of USB dissatisfaction, I went with Dante 2 yrs ago and am still very happy.