1.5 Outlaws

Louis O

Re: 1.5 Outlaws
« Reply #20 on: 8 Aug 2014, 09:39 pm »
Hi pstrisik and mresseguie,

Thanks and best thing I did is to ask Rob for help with the forum and much more. Many changes were made and I think all for the better. The website is great and always being updated. I don't enthusiastically post upcoming models before I have a better understanding when they will be done. It's more difficult especially when it's a scratch built design. What I mean about that is I only use my own drivers and if the design calls for a all new driver such as my Speed12 I had better make sure that it's all set and ready to go. It's is now, but took a while. I had a 10" woofer, but it was too slow and shelved that one for another day.

The 6's are in development right now and I will try my best to get it done as soon as I can. The Paramount is evolving and may be a part of that line.

Next up is an Outlaw Super 3 XRS it's done and will be up next week. I will say it's a sealed box design.

Thanks again,
Louis

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #21 on: 9 Aug 2014, 01:31 am »
Louis,

What about using the alnico hemp cones for the 1.5's?

.......Peter

« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2014, 12:30 am by pstrisik »

Louis O

« Reply #22 on: 9 Aug 2014, 10:35 pm »
Hi Peter,

Thanks and I will be using the 6 Alnico hemps on the 1.5's.

Could be an Open Back version too.

Thanks,
Louis

pstrisik

« Reply #23 on: 10 Aug 2014, 12:27 am »
Hi Peter,

Thanks and I will be using the 6 Alnico hemps on the 1.5's.

Could be an Open Back version too.

Thanks,
Louis

Ahh, I think I misunderstood when you wrote, "The 6's are in development right now and I will try my best to get it done as soon as I can."  I thought you meant you were developing a new 6" driver. 

........Peter

P.S. - Ever notice that my amp (in the avatar) matches your 914?   :thumb:

Louis O

« Reply #24 on: 10 Aug 2014, 02:02 am »
Hi Peter,

Thanks and sorry about the confusion. My 6 alnico are the current driver that I will use. As an aside my latest driver that is now ready to go is the 8 ferrite. I'll post pictures of it next week. Thinking of throwing them in some old Maxhemps I have at the shop.

Yup and color is great. The 914 is guards red and goes well with the 16 inch 5 bolt Fuchs. The original color was a very 70's lime green.

Thanks again,
Louis

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #25 on: 10 Aug 2014, 02:34 am »
That's a very cool car... I used to have a welding and auto shop many years ago. Glad I'm not doing that anymore tbh!  :lol:

I did just put an intake, exhaust and Cobb stage 2 tuning on my '14 WRX though. Massive difference... the thing spools up driving around a parking lot, it drives like a turbo diesel but with horsepower. The intake does nothing to muffle the turbo... it's not a very low-key car. The first time I pulled out onto the street I looked around in a panic thinking I missed seeing a big semi truck but it was the WRX's turbo spooling up.  :green:  I had a '10 WRX before, that thing was a sleeper... the '14 is loud and flashy in comparison.

I used to be into car stereo too, but I haven't done anything with my last few cars. I have a set of top of the line MB Quart 6.5" components in the garage, they were $1400 retail... just sitting there and I doubt I'll put them in my WRX. If anyone wants them hit me up!

Louis O

« Reply #26 on: 12 Aug 2014, 09:36 pm »
Hi Dave,

Many thanks and a lot went into that one. Working on cars is frustrating at times and great too. Lots of welding on this one. I have about 150 hours welding into it lots of new parts underneath. It's pretty tricked out with a Raby 2270 Hi output type 4 and Tangerine EVO exhaust, Hoffman heads, Keith Black pistons and dual downdraft Weber 44 idf's, Mallory ignition etc.. It's a flat 4 with 185HP and about 2000 pound weight. It's got the dogleg 901 sideshifter, but the shifter really isn't too sloppy. Need to finish up the suspension, but hard to find the time.

The WRX is a great car and Cobb is about the best tune. Always wanted to get one and waited for the 2015, but no hatch which was a deal breaker. Should have jumped on a 2014. The 2.5 is tough and you can make scary HP with it. I modded lots of VW and APR is a great tuner. Had a MK5 GTI with 278 at the wheel, but hard to hook up with FWD. I have pictures just have to find them. I'll post them if they turn up.

Thanks again,
Louis

Louis O

« Reply #27 on: 12 Aug 2014, 09:47 pm »
This is where Outlaw came from

With 204hp and a curb weight of 1680 pounds its power-to-weight ratio is that of a 997!

When Porsches first started zipping about U.S. roads in the early ’50s it was considered sacrilege to alter them. ‘Why mess with perfection?’ said the purists behind this complacency. But a couple of So-Cal characters known as the Emery brothers changed all that in the ’60s with their heavily modified 356s. These ‘bastardized’ Porsches became known as Outlaws.

Fred Veitch of Colorado Springs isn’t the first one to emulate the Emery brothers’ conquests but he has definitely taken the Outlaw theme to a whole new level with this turbocharged 1953 Pre-A ‘Gesetzloser.’

Read the complete article w/ more outstanding pics at European Car Magazine

jorgen

« Reply #28 on: 12 Aug 2014, 10:22 pm »
Wow
Thats  a cool looking car! No wonder you wanted to do an Outlaw.

On the subject discussed, I have to say I like that Omegas attitude about taking the development in new directions as well as perfecting "the original" idea of the full range driver. For me it's just cool to look at pictures and reading about how the speakers came to life , and most of all to read impressions from the owners.. Very happy with the speakers I got and to be honest it's a relief to be close to broke, it's the only thing keeping me from buying more.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 12 Aug 2014, 11:01 pm »
That car is gorgeous!  The Porsche 356 is my hands down favourite car.  Never owned one but, grew up (grew up? no. got older) in VW bugs, and a 1500.  In my early married years had a 71 bug and a 7? 411 fastback.

pstrisik

« Reply #30 on: 12 Aug 2014, 11:27 pm »
My first car was a used '67 Karmann Ghia and I learned how to drive a stick in the 60's in a VW bus.  :thumb:

........Peter

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #31 on: 12 Aug 2014, 11:40 pm »
Wow, 185 Hp / 2000 lbs is a good amount of power, very fun to drive I'm sure.  :thumb:  I'd like to get another car project going but they take up SO MUCH time and money! I have built a few cars and trucks from the ground up, and while it led to a welding an auto business it was kind of a dead end when I realized I didn't want to get out of bed in the morning to go work on cars. If I do build another car it'll be a race car.  :icon_twisted: 

There's a lot of trade-offs between the old and new WRX, I got one of the last few '14s to hit the dealers... but probably would have went with a '15 if they put out a wagon. They will have a WRX wagon by '17 I'd bet. They are fun cars and good for driving in the Colorado mountains.

Jazzaudio

« Reply #32 on: 15 Aug 2014, 06:06 am »
Great job on the 1.5' series! I'm glad someone purchased the Outlaw Super 3XRS...saved me an impulse buy!   I've been contemplating getting an Omega sub for my Super 3S...not that they require it.  Essentially getting two subs with 4.5 driver towers was intriguing!  But the Outlaw 1.5 Tower is also tempting.  The low end doesn't appear to be drastically lower than the Super 3S, but the second driver augmenting the main driver up to 500hz appeals to my taste also.   Its a question of augmenting 38hz and below (Outlaw Super 3XRS), or augmenting up to 500hz (Outlaw 1.5 Towers).  3.5db additional sensitivity the 1.5 Towers have over the Super 3S opens up lower power options too.  I instinctively thought about getting more "bass" from subs, or the Outlaw Super 3XRS.  But after looking at what audio is covered  up to 500hz, I think the Outlaw Towers  may be it:

http://www.audio-issues.com/music-mixing/all-the-eq-information-youll-ever-need/

The bottom of the second chart kind of puts a narrative to the audio ranges,  I don't think I want more "thump" (sub 40hz), but more "punch,""fullness", and "warmth,"  which extend up to 500hz.  Do  not get me wrong....the Super 3S isn't lacking in those categories.  I just want to try "more" because the corresponding ranges of the instruments just intrigues me!  I also like the fact the chart shows the pros and cons of emphasis within the audio ranges.  I can say the 4.5 driver exhibits none of the cons.
« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2014, 01:27 pm by Jazzaudio »

Louis O

« Reply #33 on: 15 Aug 2014, 11:10 pm »
Hi Jorgen,

Many thanks and the modded 356's are really nice. They are so expensive now, but there are great kits out there that you can build for a fraction of the cost and not worry about driving it.

Thanks and the new direction has been brewing in my head for a while and now that I have most of my drivers ready to go it's time to start with the new projects. I'll be getting more ready soon too. RS7A sound great and you have about the best looking cabs I have made.

Hi Rob,

Big fan of the bug and they can be made to be very fast.

Hi pstrisik,

I had one too a long time ago it was a coupe and bright red. Wish I still had it.

Hi DaveC113,

I know and it really hard to find the time. Mine have been sitting for way to long.

I was in the same boat and waited and waited and finally no wagon. I have to have the wagon. By that time is was too late and the MK7 GTI was not here yet. Got a Cooper Clubman S. Rides tough but handles really good.

Hi Jazzaudio,

Thanks and really appreciate it. It's packs a punch and it's really compact like the 3 XRS. The 2 subs make a difference. The 1.5 way with double drivers will be more efficient and the full range drivers will handle more complex material. In a sealed cab the RS5 will roll off at about 140Hz and reason why the woofer is on the front as well as it won't fit on the bottom like a combi.

The 1.5's will are more efficient and really low powered amps will have no problem. The low level resolution is very good too. The chart is great and the 1.5's will add the punch, fullness", and warmth. The speaker sounds much larger bodied and has the fill in that range.

Thanks again,
Louis