Any benefits to bypassing the Sensation volume pot?

tenantman

• Industry Participant
  • Togetherness beats all odds
    • Caprice Audio
Any benefits to bypassing the Sensation volume pot?
« on: 22 Mar 2011, 09:16 pm »

The reason I ask is two-fold. Does it potentially sound better with the bypass? Does this bypass the T-chip? I have been throwing around the idea of using the Virtue Preamp with a different amp. Anyone know how the preamp section performs?

Love the Sensation so much (stock caps). I am thinking of upgrading the caps if there is sufficient reason to do so and just call it a day. Any one know if the Mundorf's are worth the investment and trouble?

Which way to go :duh:

dvenardos

Re: Any benefits to bypassing the Sensation volume pot?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2011, 09:25 pm »
I don't think I understand the question. You would only want to bypass the pot if you wanted to use the sensation as the amp with another pre-amp. If you want to use the sensation as a preamp then you need the pot to control the volume on the preouts.  :scratch:

If you have the stock version with sonicaps or auricaps not viturecaps, I wouldn't bother replacing the caps. Both of them are very good.

tenantman

• Industry Participant
    • Caprice Audio
« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2011, 12:29 am »
You understood the question perfectly given your response. I am still not sure how much the caps contribute to the voicing of the Sensation versus a Tube buffer as an example. Thoughts of using the Sensation in different ways intrigues me.

Thanks for responding.

tenantman

• Industry Participant
    • Caprice Audio
« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2011, 11:22 pm »

Anyone care to share their amp experience using the Sensation as a volume control? Any improvements in this set up?

Thanks

PSB Guy

« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2011, 06:20 pm »

Anyone care to share their amp experience using the Sensation as a volume control? Any improvements in this set up?

Thanks
If you're referring to using the Sensation as a pre-amp with another power amp, there's at least one other user here, tabrink (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=profile;u=56772) who is using his as one, I believe with Virtue ICEBlocks. Maybe he can help you with specific questions...

Cornelis