Recommendations on where to go now as far as upgrades to my system?

Trismos

Hello

I'll post this in the GR forum also. I'm looking for what might be a recommendation on a good solid upgrade on the system I have now:

Dell Inspiron, J-River, Grant Fidelity DAC-09, Virtue M-901 with Clarity MR Caps and Dodd Buffer, GR TL N3s with Sonic Caps. I have Grant Fidelity MRCA-1 interconnects and Virtue Nirvana speaker cables.

This set-up really kicks butt quite nicely, but I've been bitten by the audiophile upgrade bug. I can honestly say that my ear is probably not good enough to hear the difference between a better set of cables or interconnects. I was thinking I might go to the Stello U3 between the DAC and my laptop but I don't know if I'd really even appreciate that yet.

I don't think it's possible to upgrade from the M-901 without spending money I'd rather spend on a new deck this summer.

I'm really thinking that my next worthwhile upgrade, where I would really notice a huge difference, would be to go to an OB speaker ala the V series. I just think they're a little big for my room. Danny has been teasing us but I haven't seen anything yet.

If you owned my kit, what might you do?

RD

srb

Looking at the components (Sensation M-901 and GR TL N3) I would say the DAC would be the component to upgrade.  I would look for a DAC with a good built-in interface and eliminate buying a separate USB to S/PDIF converter.

Grant Fidelity's DAC-11 and the Schiit Bifrost are two reasonable cost DACs that a number of previous owners of the DAC-09 (and the Maverick Tube Magic D1 variation) have upgraded to and reported a noticeable improvement to their system.

Steve

tabrink

• lake life is good
  :green: "Virtue M-901 with Clarity MR Caps and Dodd Buffer,"
 :thumb:
Does not get any better that that? Comparable to integrated s costing many thousands more!
Merry Christmas!
Tom

FWIW
 I have the Bifrost, Maverick D2, and the Tube DAC -11..

:duh:
Tube DAC -11.
My integration to entirely 100% Nirvana cables was a huge step in the right direction.

Trismos

:green: "Virtue M-901 with Clarity MR Caps and Dodd Buffer,"
Does not get any better that that? Comparable to integrated s costing many thousands more!
Merry Christmas!
Tom

FWIW
 I have the Bifrost, Maverick D2, and the Tube DAC -11..

:duh:
Tube DAC -11.
My integration to entirely 100% Nirvana cables was a huge step in the right direction.

Hey Tom.   How do you like the DAC-11? I bought the DAC-09 as my first foray into higher fidelity. That and a few other items off of GF. I kind of like the looks of the DAC-11 and it seems to have the right specs for a reasonable price. Maybe it's just me but I have a difficult time getting past the terrible grammar on the site. If you're going to sell hi end audio, you should at least have someone polish your shiny bits if you're going to be taken seriously.

But really, I am interested in it. How does it compare to the BiFrost?

Regards and Merry Happy!

Dave

tabrink

• lake life is good
 :xmas:
Merry Christmas Dave!

Well I have this two week rule going on lately!
I like all my "new" gear and "new" golf drivers for two weeks!
I do like the GF DAC-11 a lot in my system. And it has really been pleasant surprise how nice it sounds with my planar cans.
I use the DAC out to my pre amp and the tube out of the DAC-11 to my Schit Asgard headphone amp.

The Bifrost is a really nice DAC and sounds great but having the extra inputs and outputs with excellent sound made the DAC-11 a keeper for me. All of my equipment is tube based.

Unfortunately the Maverick D2 is not on the same level of clarity as the Bifrost and DAC-11 in my system and is being used to drive a wireless headphone setup in my photo studio now..

To answer your question frankly I like the sound of the DAC-11 slightly better than the Bifrost. Less digital and more pure. A classic example is the raggedness in Neil Young' s voice just seems brighter/edgier/grainy with the Bifrost. Not less accurate
 but less smooth.
The DAC-11 reminds me more of my Eastern Electric DAC that was in my system about a year ago. And the Bifrost is closer to the Emotiva XDA-1 I sold recently being slightly more bright in my system.
Not to start any cable discussion but the Emotiva and Bifrost were almost "ugly" with some expensive Litz silver IC's  but tamed down considerably with the insertion of Nirvana cabling.
Hope this helps.
Tom

brother love

I do like the GF DAC-11 a lot in my system.

The Bifrost is a really nice DAC and sounds great but having the extra inputs and outputs with excellent sound made the DAC-11 a keeper for me. All of my equipment is tube based.

To answer your question frankly I like the sound of the DAC-11 slightly better than the Bifrost. Less digital and more pure.

tabrink,

Thanks for sharing your reviews of the DAC-11 & Bifrost. Both are high on my list.  Did you listen to both w/ your Sensation amp w/ Dodd tube buffer & speakers?  How do these DAC's compare to your M1 Piano CD player?  As I recall, you referred to the M1 as buttery (cool description).

Your unvarnished opinions are a breath of fresh air to me, & i'm sure many others.  :thumb:

tabrink

• lake life is good
 8)
Yo Brother,
Yes I listen to only Sensations (x2) with buffers. (Sylvania Gold Brand 5751 tube). This is the only tube I have ever bought a backup copy of due to absolute innate fear of trying to find another copy.
I can honestly say my M1 has a clear and refined sound of its own and I would not change a thing about its presentation. (well maybe if the M2 came out their would be change. I can not really say I have done a direct comparison but  if I am not liking what I am hearing I don't go there anymore.
I use the M1 for CDs when I am "listening" and not when I am "working and listening".  I use my Squeezebox Touch and GF-11 then.
FWIW I have my Bolder modded Touch and railed psu sounding so good right now with the GF-11 I would have to say they are very close in sound. Warm and buttery (analog)  and not clinical and bright (digital.).
I am so not a fan of bright digital sound and have carefully eliminated any component that compromised my pure Virtue warmth and precise analog presentation.
Thank you for your words and enjoy this special day of faith, family and fun.
Best,
Tom

Trismos

Hey Tom

These tubes do appear to be rather hard to come by. On the 'A sure-fire tube upgrade' thread (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=101822.0) you mention that it's a great tube for "moderate to low level critical listening and so I asked if there is then a better tube or 'the tube to die for' out there.
That you can actually just go buy.
As opposed to sleuthing the interwebs like a junky looking in dark alleys for his next fix.

Regards
Dave

tabrink

• lake life is good
In my most humble opinion I feel like you could spend a fortune on additional tubes and not get significant improvement.  :lol: I alrteady have.  :lol:
In my modest system the GB -5751 plays with a sweetness that I have not heard in others.
The Sylvania GB -5751 is not that difficult to find as I bought a used spare here this week and I know Upscale Audio :thumb: has them as well.
All the best,
Tom