Rocket RS750 Sig vs X-Statik

chronicali

Rocket RS750 Sig vs X-Statik
« on: 9 Oct 2010, 09:51 pm »
Hello,

Sorry if I'm intruding into this circle, didn't know where else to post this, but figured here would be OK since Danny designed both of these.

So I recently picked up a pair of RS750 Sig to use as my two fronts.  I previously had X-Omnis doing the job, but thought I would try out another flavor.  I made some comparisons with the X-Omni, so I kind of know the 'type' of sound that the X-Statiks would produce.

I use my speakers PURELY for MUSIC only, no HT whatsoever.  I love music, it is one of my passions, and I like a neutral sounding speaker, but in the end would prefer a warmer sound to an analytical/clinical sound.  I listen to all types of music, from Classical, Jazz, Electronic, all the way to a lot of Hip-hop and R&B as well. 

As for my current system, I am running music from my Computer via Coaxial output to my Stello DA100 and then to a TCA Gizmo.  I know the Gizmo probably isn't doing my speakers justice and is my weakest link, but I have a hybrid Dared DV-6C coming in which I hope will help things out a bit.  I am doing a 2.1 setup with a MFW-15 for the low notes.  Any suggestions on gear would be well appreciated as well.

One thing that I loved about the X-Omni was how it was able to sound incredibly big and encompassing with no part of the spectrum really bleeding through to another (I have them about 4 feet away from the wall).  When I got the Rockets, the one thing that I immediately noticed was the clarity in the highs and the mids.  I actually think they do extend down further than the Omnis, but the clarity and crispness on the music was what was most apparent.  Not saying that the Omnis had a veil on them at all, since I did like the better dynamic sound on the Omnis.  In a sense, I kind of want to say that the Omnis are a lot more engaging and fun to listen to, while the Rockets seem more of the reference type (yes, I guess they use the same Vifa tweeters are the Ref series?).  The Rockets also have a far more forward kind of sound, not going to say its exactly "in your face", but definitely a LOT less laid back than the X-Omni sound.  Not exactly sure which one that I like better just yet since I have had the Omnis for quite some time and still getting used to the new sound of the Rockets.  Wish I could hear the X-Statiks though...

So in the end, I was wondering if anyone else had made comparisons between the RS750 Sig and the X-Statik before, and what they think are the pros and cons of each.  I have the Rockets, but as like anyone else, am always curious about others.  Of course, Danny's N3 will probably sound better than both of these for purely music, but unless I find one already built in the area, that is a little hard. ;)  I've also been considering the Strata Mini for my 2 channel setup, maybe this could be thrown into the mix as well.  Looking for the "most musical" pretty much...

My experience is still limited and I'm trying my best to describe what I hear, so I apologize if my reporting sounds incomplete or compromised.  I'm a 22 year old slowly getting into higher end audio, so it would be great to receive some advice and expertise from some of you who are far more seasoned than I am.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Alvin

Danny Richie

Re: Rocket RS750 Sig vs X-Statik
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2010, 04:35 am »
Actually the 750's were discontinued and never offered with an upgraded crossover. The response was pretty rough and I personally couldn't listen to them for very long. I did design a new crossover for that model that fixed all the issues with them but they were never offered through AV123. I think Sean (Skiing Ninja) upgraded quite a few of them with the network that I designed.

The X-Statik will give you more of what you are getting from the X-Omni with greater SPL levels and dynamics.

chronicali

« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2010, 04:45 am »
Danny, thanks for the response.

The 750s never had an upgraded crossover?  I have the Signature edition, and I thought that this had the upgraded crossovers.

So are you pretty much saying that the X-Statik will sound more "musical" than the 750's? 

se-riously

« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2010, 05:17 am »
The difference between a 750 classic and signature version is just a resistor change, and neither version is Danny's design.  An all new XO for the 750, designed by Danny, is available through the Ninja.

Nick77

« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2010, 12:37 pm »
I had a pair of upgraded 750's with the Ninja crossover, if you feel they are forward now you may not like the new xo. Most felt the sig version were a little too laid back. I loved this speaker with the new xo but soon upgraded to the Mini which was way more refined. I now have the OB/7 design which is a simular design to the X-Static and superior to the Mini. The 750's are a great HT speaker but not the greatest for 2 channel.

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 10 Oct 2010, 06:31 pm »
Well said Nick.

chronicali

« Reply #6 on: 11 Oct 2010, 02:02 am »
Thank everyone for the replies, maybe I should've asked this before I went ahead and got the Rockets.  Was wondering why they weren't "exciting" me much besides the fact that they look quite sexy.  I guess I'm going to look for a pair of X-Statik, thanks.