Emerald LE for L/R in HT use

oris98

Emerald LE for L/R in HT use
« on: 20 Sep 2007, 07:51 pm »
Hi all,

I just purchased a pair of Emerald LE on the used market and planning to use them as my main L/R channel for HT setup.  I have a pair of Force filling the bass.  I have the following setup question and hope someone can give me some hint for setup.  My room size is 17x17 (I know, square room is not the ideal room size).  Screen on the wall to my sitting position is about 14.5 feet. 
I am thinking of placing the two Emeral LE about 6-8feet away from each other (toeing in slightly) but not sure if I can hang them on the back wall beside the screen (one on each side) ? 
How much room does the Emeral need at the back ?  If I hang them up I can save myself some $$$ for the stands.   
If I have to use a pair of stands, what hight (24" or 28") should I use ?

Thanks in advance.

DR

• The Man
Re: Emerald LE for L/R in HT use
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2007, 11:14 pm »
I definitely would not wall mount the Emeralds unless maybe you have the ports stuffed. Stands are not that much money. Sit in your favorite listening position and have someone measure from the floor to your ear openings (I am not kidding). Use the stand height that will place the Emerald tweeter at or slightly above that measurement. I have done that dozen's of times and it works!

Also, I wouldn't toe them in unless absolutely necessary. Their off axis dispersion is amazing.

For what it's worth,

DR      :)

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2007, 11:23 am »
DR is right, you it would be better if you don't hang them directly on the wall, it will block the rear port. You can wall mount them on brackets or small shelves, you want the port at least an inch from the wall . . .  it will be best if you can experiment with toe-in.

oris98

« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2007, 08:14 am »
Thanks guys !

oris98

« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2007, 09:35 pm »
By the way Mike,

Will the Emerald LE will have enough drive to fill the room for L & R channel as Home theater setup for my room 17' x 17'  ?  I just bought an HT 6 x 150W AMP for HT and hoping the Emerald will not restrict the volume.   

Thanks again.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #5 on: 9 Oct 2007, 01:26 pm »
By the way Mike,

Will the Emerald LE will have enough drive to fill the room for L & R channel as Home theater setup for my room 17' x 17'  ?  I just bought an HT 6 x 150W AMP for HT and hoping the Emerald will not restrict the volume.   

Thanks again.

BIG questions, little answer: for a small speaker they'll do VERY well. However, the laws of physics are rigid and to attain very high SPL levels requires substantial box volume and cone area. Everyone's idea of what is "loud" is different, so the best thing will be to set them up and listen for yourself. For many people, a great small speaker little the little Emerald provides all the output they need. Also, the center channel is generally more demanding in most 5.1 mixes, so unless your center is capable of higher output than the Emeralds, it will more likely be the limiting factor.  Say, are you planning on being at RMAF this year?