Amp question. Help Please!

Kyle Kalivoda

Amp question. Help Please!
« on: 23 Aug 2007, 03:34 pm »
I currently have a 7.1 system with all ACI gear. My Current amp is a Rotel RMB 1095. This amp puts our 200 watts RMS to 5 channels. I use a seperate amp to power my back channel speakers(not a Rotel amp). I thinking of buying a two channel Rotel amp to power my main speakers, which are Jaguars. I was thinking of getting the Rotel RB 1090. This amp puts out something like 350 watts RMS. I don't know if this will cause issues when I'm listening to multi channel music or watching movies because of having two different amps putting out different power. Advice please.

Lkdog

Re: Amp question. Help Please!
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2007, 06:05 pm »
Should not be a problem. You can match the channel volume levels through your 7.1 pre-processor I am guessing.
You have preouts to your 5 channel amp and your other 2 channel amp now and you did some kind of level setting with those?
You would do the same thing if you used a different 2 channel amp for the mains (Jaguars).

I am not familiar with Rotel amps, but the Jaguars love power in my experience.

Kyle Kalivoda

« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2007, 06:21 pm »
I do have the volume level of each speaker matched. Sounds like the large two channel amp will work out fine. I too have heard that the Jag's love power.

CSI

« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2007, 06:28 pm »
The wattage rating only determines the maximum amount of power the amp can deliver to your speakers. The actual amount is determined by the way you adjust the system on the input side. As stated above, this is a function of your controller/processor/AV Receiver and, as long as you have pre-outs, you can set it up for the proper ratio of sound to each channel. Often, the processor will do this for you with an internal audio generator which can be used to adjust things manually (by ear) or automatically with a microphone.

Lkdog

« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2007, 08:38 pm »
I do have the volume level of each speaker matched. Sounds like the large two channel amp will work out fine. I too have heard that the Jag's love power.

I guess I was thinking of when you are only doing two channel listening that the additional power in terms of amps/current/watts could be noticeable in terms of the amp being able to recover from dynamic swings quickly. The Jags are an easy load in some ways (down to 4 ohms), but only 86db efficiency.
The increased power I got by moving to Odyssey Mono Extremes monoblocks from a Musical Fidelity A300 (150X2) showed up by a more controlled and relaxed sound.

I doubt you will hear a lot of difference in HT application.
I also use Jaguars as mains and the front channels in a HT setup.
I rarely watch movies, though.

« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2007, 11:53 pm by Lkdog »