Driver Availability

Driver Availability
« on: 2 Jan 2006, 12:54 am »
I apologize if this is common knowledge, but here goes:

I recently purchased a pair of Sapphires (25th Anniversary), which ACI immediately discontinued (replaced of course by the XL). ACI warranty period is five year, but does that mean ACI will carry a stock of drivers (tweeters/woofers) for five years? The woofers have seen been discontinued on partsexpress. I am curious as to whether I should 'back-up' a set of drivers in case a tragic event should before my new speakers. To do so would not be particularly inexpensive since ACI used some quality drivers, but then again not nearly as costly as a forced replacement speaker purchase in the future as result of blown/bumped/poked or otherwise damaged driver.

Thanks for any information!

DW

Mike Dzurko

Driver Availability
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2006, 04:41 pm »
DW:

The warranty is five years and we will of course honor it.  :D

Focal discontinued the woofer that we used in earlier Sapphires and we bought up all we could so we'd have stock to protect for the full five years, and as far beyond as that stock will take us.

Lkdog

Driver Availability
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2006, 03:35 am »
I actually had a woofer go out in a Sapphire 25. Hardly ever happens so I wouldn't worry.
ACI fixed me right up.
They are Vifa drivers and are still around in several places.

accent

drivers
« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2006, 01:28 am »
Last night while playing around with my system I blew out a driver  :x
Are the Focal 7K011 dbl drivers still available ? These were the #s on the speaker, they are saphire II that I had to replace the drivers on back in 93-94.
                                 regards,
                                         Michael

Driver Availability
« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2006, 12:28 pm »
This is a question for Mike. If you blow a woofer in one of your speakers (say a Sapphire), and you order a new woofer, does the new woofer eventually break in to the point where it is well matched with the woofer in the other speaker, or are you better off ordering two new woofers so they break in evenly. Would leave you with a spare (the unblown woofer from the 2nd speaker).

Thanks

Mike Dzurko

Re: drivers
« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2006, 03:27 pm »
Quote from: accent
Last night while playing around with my system I blew out a driver  :x
Are the Focal 7K011 dbl drivers still available ? These were the #s on the speaker, they are saphire II that I had to replace the drivers on back in 93-94.
                                 regards,
                                         Michael

Quit playing around  :nono:    We have replacement drivers in stock. Just give the office a call 608 784 4570, or email sales@audioc.com for details. Have a good day!

Mike Dzurko

Driver Availability
« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2006, 03:30 pm »
Quote from: Guest
This is a question for Mike. If you blow a woofer in one of your speakers (say a Sapphire), and you order a new woofer, does the new woofer eventually break in to the point where it is well matched with the woofer in the other speaker, or are you better off ordering two new woofers so they break in evenly. Would leave you with a spare (the unblown woofer from the 2nd speaker).

Thanks

If you get just a single replacement, I'd suggest running that speaker for 100 hours or so by itself to allow it to "catch up" to the other one. You could certainly purchase a pair, replace them both, and save the other one as an extra. Blown drivers are pretty rare, so you're likely to never need that extra driver.

docrw

Re: Focal Driver Availability
« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2009, 08:20 pm »
Mike D,
How do you feel about using a Focal 7V4211 DB in place of the 7K011 DBL? I talked to another Sapphire owner that used 4322 or 4411 or something like that and didn't change the Xover and he said he couldn't tell the difference.  Is it possible to use an attainable 7V4211 DB in place of a 7K DBL to revive my favored Sapphires?

Mike Dzurko

Re: Driver Availability
« Reply #8 on: 28 Apr 2009, 01:03 am »
Will work pretty darned well  :D 

docrw

« Reply #9 on: 28 Apr 2009, 02:01 am »
Great to hear Mike.   :D  Do I need to tweak the Xover and might you have a schematic for that.  Have you guys at ACI experimented with this driver in the Sapphire box and do you think the orignal kevlar driver is better.
Thanks for getting back so quick.  :P

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #10 on: 28 Apr 2009, 03:28 pm »
Great to hear Mike.   :D  Do I need to tweak the Xover and might you have a schematic for that.  Have you guys at ACI experimented with this driver in the Sapphire box and do you think the orignal kevlar driver is better.
Thanks for getting back so quick.  :P

Unless you have accurate measurement equipment, experience, and lots of time, you don't want to start messing with the crossover. Perhaps a better alternative is to contact Mark at Meniscus Systems, I believe they can do a very good rebuild on your woofers.