thoughts / concerns about the wall mounted Emeralds

jhh09

« on: 17 Feb 2005, 03:07 am »
I am looking for speakers for a room that doesn't have much room for floor standing speakers, and no logical place for bookshelf ones.  The wall mounted Emeralds look like the right product for this situation, but I'm concerned about the audio quality of speakers mounted flush against a wall.

I certainly don't expect perfect audiophile quality, but I'm wondering if the audio quality of stand alone Emeralds would be better enough to justify re-arranging my room to fit them.  Has anyone else here dealt will this situation, and if so what did you wind up doing?  As for on the wall owners, pretend Mike isn't around and give me an honest recommendation :)

jh

JackStraw

« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2005, 03:30 pm »
I'm an on-wall owner and I absolutely love them. I use them as mains with a a Protege center. I haven't compared them to standard Emeralds, but going in I was expecting to lose some imaging and soundstage due to their on-wall nature. I haven't noticed anything to complain about in those departments, even when used just for 2 channel.

Since we're acting like Mike isn't around, I'll say that one aspect of the on-walls that is underhyped on their web site is the bass output of the on-walls. The spec says 65Hz, but I'm getting solid output that according to my measurements doesn't fade until below 50Hz. There is some real magic to the port design here -- they get a nice kick off of the wall.

I'll probably move to a pair of Protege V mains one day for uniformity across the front. But, until then, I'm very pleased with the on-walls and I emphatically recommend them.

Harry P

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2005, 12:03 pm »
I've heard both versions of the Emerald. If you're putting them close to the wall, the on-wall sounds much better. In fact, I prefer the on wall. It has a fuller, warmer tonal balance. That's because it works with the wall to re-inforce the low end. I'm not talking boomy, just full and natural. The standard Emerald pretty much requires a sub to sound balanced. The on-wall does not. When funds permit I will be using the on walls for my sides and rears. I wouldn't even mind having them up front but the Proteges are doing a great job up there already.

nature boy

« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2005, 03:40 pm »
jh,

I received a pair of the Emerald On-Walls as part of a contest last year.  I do not think these speakers have been professionally reviewed and haven't seen a lot written about them.

IMHO, they can compete with with most stand alone monitors under $2K.

Here are some impressions when I plugged these into my 2 channel dedicated rig, affixing these to walls with the tweeter slightly below ear height per recommendations of Mike D.

They play cleanly and loud.  They image extremely well, creating a very realistic soundstage.  The speakers are very detailed without being fatiguing.  Drivers are very well integrated.  Midrange and dialog are top notch.  With a snug fit against the wall there is listenable bass response into the lower 50 Hz region according to my Radio Shack SPL meter.

They don't have the depth of soundstage of my Vandersteen 2CE signature's or some high end free standing monitors I've had in my system, but none of these speakers have the small footprint of the Emerald's.

Many living arrangements I've seen don't allow for proper placement of floorstanding or stand placed monitors with a two-channel system.  That's why I opted for a dedicated listening room.  For many pressed for floor space the Emerald On-Walls offer the best option IMHO, if one can space these properly around the primary listening posiiton.  

You don't have to be positioned optimally in a sweet spot either to really enjoy these speakers.  My wife really appreciated them vs. "my ugly black box Vandy's".  They have a reasonably high WAF.

Tough to go wrong with these.  Good luck.

NB

DanaA

« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2005, 01:40 am »
I have the Emerald on-wall speakers for my rear channels and, boy, was I in for a surprise.  They sound phenominal and far exceeded my expectations.  Honestly, I feel they are better than any speakers I've heard/owned in their price range.

And, people who visit always comment on how dang good looking they are.

jhh09

update
« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2005, 11:39 am »
Just wanted to let you guys know I bought the on the walls, and after comparing them to the standalone Emeralds I would say they are leaps and bounds better than the standalones.  The music overall is much richer.   I am using these without a sub and they sound great.  They look very classy too.  Highly recommended.

jh

nature boy

« Reply #6 on: 19 Mar 2005, 12:44 pm »
Glad you are enjoying them.  Hooked these puppies up to my Sharp SD-EX111, the little all in one digital unit last night, what a blast!!   :D

NB

DanaA

« Reply #7 on: 20 Mar 2005, 06:37 am »
Hey, great!!!  Congratulations.  

Yes, it is amazing how the on-wall Emeralds sound and how handsome they are.