Digital Amp with ACI

DougM57

Digital Amp with ACI
« on: 21 Sep 2004, 02:30 pm »
I was wondering if anyone else was using digital amplification with their ACI's. I have a Sony AVD-C70ES with Sapphire 111 LE's for mains and an Emerald for a center.

I was running a Denon receiver as a pre with an Anthem MCA driving my mains. The sound is so different; sometimes I love it, sometimes no. I have never used tubes; but have been thinking about a used tube integrated like a Jolida 302b.

I listen to a wide variety of music from accoustic to progressive rock (YES fan). Just wondering if anyone had compared the tubes to the digital with these speakers.

jswallac

Digital Amp with ACI
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2004, 02:40 pm »
I do not have your speakers I Meadowlark Audio Kestrels.  I do, however, have a Sony S50ES, your model with a single tray.  I also have a Jolida integrated amp, the 102B.  In my opinion, not the same league.  While the Jolida is just an entry level tube amp, it is sooo much more musical than the Sony.  I have moved the Sony into the HT system, where it does a very good job.  Some have raved about the SACD on these Sony digitals.  Even with SACD on the Sony and redbook on the Jolida, I much prefer the sound coming from the Jolida.

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
Digital Amp with ACI
« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2004, 04:24 pm »
I have the Jaguar 2000's and have used the new Audio Research 150.2 digital amp with them and was very pleased with the result.  The biggest problem with digital is that it can be implemented at very low cost (inexpensive components) if a manufacterer desires.  This results in a wide variance of what digital can sound like.
Bob

Sfogg

Digital Amp with ACI
« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2004, 02:13 pm »
I have used Crown K2s with my original Jaguars and my Veritas and have been very happy with that combo. I had been using a Sunfire amp on the Jags and bought the K2 to power my LFE sub. On a lark I tried it on the Jags. and never took that amp off. Sold the Sunfire to buy another K2 for the LFE sub.

Shawn

Mike Dzurko

Digital Amp with ACI
« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2004, 08:07 pm »
Shawn:

Great to have you here! Please do stop by often, you have a lot to share.

EMT

Digital Amp with ACI
« Reply #5 on: 1 Oct 2004, 09:57 am »
The Crown K1/K2 amps aren't digital, are they?

Sfogg

Digital Amp with ACI
« Reply #6 on: 1 Oct 2004, 05:32 pm »
"The Crown K1/K2 amps aren't digital, are they?"

Yes, they are digital amps. What they aren't is just another Tripath based amplifier though as they work quite a bit differently then most other digitals. Crown calls it a 'Balanced Current Amplifier.'

You can read about how BCA works at:

http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/amps/bcapaper.pdf

Shawn

Sfogg

Digital Amp with ACI
« Reply #7 on: 1 Oct 2004, 05:33 pm »
Hi Mike,

Thanks, I'll try to stop in from time to time.

Good luck,

Shawn