Can someone comment on the Sonicap upgrade to Paradox 1's ?

vfrpilot

I have the Paradox 1's with the new woofer and xover treatment.  I am curious if anyone has upgraded to the Sonicaps and could comment on the changes it brought. I was considering using Auricaps but these are cost prohibitive in the large sizes used in the paradox. ICW (clarity) caps are also an option. Anyone here these yet?

Thanks,

eric the red

« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2003, 02:13 am »
when my P3s were being built, Danny recommended the Auricaps over the Sonicaps. Cost for the Auricaps was @32.00 shipped from GRR.

OBF

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2003, 03:02 am »
Are these the same Auricaps that VMPS raves about but charges approx $500 for the upgrade?  I know the crossovers are totally different, I'm just wondering if it's the same quality of cap.

vfrpilot

hmmm
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2003, 04:13 am »
Hey Eric the Red,

I'm in Eugene as well, we corresponded about testing our your Audiomat arpege with my paradox's. I have the Unison Research Unico now, so I would be curious about how these compare.

On to the thread... It seems from my reading that the Paradox 3's only have a couple of caps in the xover. My P1's have around 3-4 caps of high value (6-20uf) in each speaker. If they sold caps in these high values I think they would be in the $20 range per cap.  

Some people who deal with DIYcable.com have been comparing the Clarity caps which they sell to the Auricaps. I haven't heard anyone say they are as good, but close. Probably a bit more analytical is what I seem to remember.

Let me pull out the schematic for the P1's. I won't give away the values but I will price out what the cap upgrade would cost. This would give a good starting point for comparing the value of them vs. Clarity vs. Sonicaps.

Stay tuned.

Vfrpilot  
Eugene,Or

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2003, 06:54 am »
:!:  :!:

No wonder I'm confused about you guys! Both in Eugene OR, one rides a VTR and one rides a VFR. (Did I get that right?)

eric the red

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2003, 06:55 am »
Your email address got deleted-somebody from AC who lives in Salem wants to hear my P3's with my amp and his so maybe he and I could drag our amps over to your house after he listens to my rig one of these weekends :?: I want to hear the Unico...

audiojerry

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2003, 02:34 pm »
I want a review of those amps, guys - let's get it done!  :)

Danny Richie

What?
« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2003, 03:58 pm »
when my P3s were being built, Danny recommended the Auricaps over the Sonicaps. Cost for the Auricaps was @32.00 shipped from GRR.

I thick Eric got the cap named transposed.

I recommend the Sonicaps over the Auricaps.

I liked the Sonicaps so well that I became a distributor.

The Paradox-1 has three caps in each speaker. Changing all of them to Sonicaps will cost $82.00

The Clarity caps are a no frills poly cap that could be considered a marginal step up from a Solen poly cap and I believe they are in that price range.

I could not see comparing them to an Auricap and can not even see them being compared to a Sonicap.

vfrpilot

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2003, 04:50 pm »
Thanks for clearing that up Danny. I appreciate it. I am glad you have had a chance to compare the Sonicaps with the Auricaps. I feel better. Saving money and getting better sound is something I can always get behind.  :)

JohnR. Yes I live in eugene and ride a VFR (though it is a pretty old one and not that much riding gets done when I leave for work and it is 29-30deg).

Eric. Sounds good. I am always up for trying new equipment. I have purchased far to many components without listening to them in my system. It must end here and now!  :?

vfrpilot

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2003, 04:57 pm »
PS.  JohnR. I don't know if you remember but the paradox's that I have are the ones that you built. Nice job by the way.

That should not really comes as a surprise to board members here since I think that most of audiophiles in the US have at least one pair of speakers you have previously owned. Am I right?  :)

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
SonicCaps
« Reply #10 on: 29 Jan 2003, 11:10 pm »
I think my comments here are fair.

I must concur with Danny's enthusiasm about the SonicCap.  They are darn good.   I did't think it was possible for a metallized prop capacitor to significantly outperform the PPMF, but the SonicCap does.  It is dead quiet and all of the details are present.  I think Danny is wise to make an investment in the SonicCap.

I will also add that folks make much adieu' over cables, but not so much over capacitors.  I believe these folks would understand the reality better if they knew how a capacitor was constructed.  

Inside of an axial capacitor there are 2 layers of foil wrapped tighly together, but offset.  These 2 layers are insulated from each other, and offset lengthwise.  Each end is attached to an end spray and the lead is dipped/stuck into this end spray.  

There are 2 things that I would like to convey.

1.  The preparation of the FOIL is crucial.

2.  There is 126' of foil in a theoretically correct 4.7uf capacitor.  Folks who worry about 8' of speaker cable would be much smarter to worry about the foil in their capacitors.

Dave