Is there a better bargain than the $56 Nobsound Passive Preamp?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
  Installed the second one yesterday. Bigger stage, more open and better focused. Buy two for dual mono cheap enough.

charles

mr_bill

Installed the second one yesterday. Bigger stage, more open and better focused. Buy two for dual mono cheap enough.

charles

How do you ‘balance’  the left and right channel? (Level match the two) By ear?

JohnR

Re: Is there a better bargain than the $56 Nobsound Passive Preamp?
« Reply #163 on: 11 Jan 2019, 05:54 pm »
 :scratch: :scratch:

That's a very strange test, as one is 10k and the other is 50k.

wushuliu

« Reply #164 on: 11 Jan 2019, 06:45 pm »
:scratch: :scratch:

That's a very strange test, as one is 10k and the other is 50k.

Yeah. It's interesting info but without discussing impact of output impedance between the two it's not that helpful.

RDavidson

« Reply #165 on: 11 Jan 2019, 09:26 pm »
Yeah. It's interesting info but without discussing impact of output impedance between the two it's not that helpful.

Actually some of the info is very helpful even in a general sense. The issue of channel imbalance is a biggie that can occur regardless of 10k or 50k smooth pots. But as the author states, all this is very YMMV. The Nobsound is inexpensive enough to experiment with, which is always the best way to go especially if you don't fully understand the electrical parameters of your gear and how they interact. Then you factor in cables and man...things get really complex. It's easy to understand why this is a rather misunderstood topic even for veterans in this hobby.

wushuliu

« Reply #166 on: 11 Jan 2019, 10:26 pm »
Actually some of the info is very helpful even in a general sense. The issue of channel imbalance is a biggie that can occur regardless of 10k or 50k smooth pots. But as the author states, all this is very YMMV. The Nobsound is inexpensive enough to experiment with, which is always the best way to go especially if you don't fully understand the electrical parameters of your gear and how they interact. Then you factor in cables and man...things get really complex. It's easy to understand why this is a rather misunderstood topic even for veterans in this hobby.

It's good to see concrete assessment of channel imbalance on those kinds of pots. I used to think I was crazy when I first made my own passives and the channels weren't uniform at lower levels. Then I figured it out and thankfully the Chinese dact knock offs were just hitting the market and I never looked back.

JohnR

« Reply #167 on: 12 Jan 2019, 03:16 am »
This is what the Nobsoind looks like inside.

Wait... is that the actual unit you have? Because that's not an RK27  :scratch: (as in the review linked)

JohnR

« Reply #168 on: 12 Jan 2019, 04:01 am »
Actually some of the info is very helpful even in a general sense.

Yes but one must be extra careful to identify what is caused by the nature of the attenuator and what is simply caused by the different impedance. However agree with you and wushuliu, the plot of imbalance is interesting. Alps spec up to 3dB mismatch 0 to 60 dB for the RK27. https://www.alps.com/prod/info/E/PDF/Potentiometer/MetalShaft/RK271/RK271.PDF

But that is not an RK27... I'm not able to find a spec for the RK09. At any rate, it's within the RK27 spec, although I wonder if the balanced configuration tends to even things out.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #169 on: 12 Jan 2019, 04:04 am »
Wait... is that the actual unit you have? Because that's not an RK27  :scratch: (as in the review linked)
I'll ask my buddy Rex

OzarkTom

« Reply #170 on: 12 Jan 2019, 04:59 am »
I'll ask my buddy Rex

There is a jokester in every crowd. :lol:

OzarkTom

« Reply #171 on: 12 Jan 2019, 05:12 am »

That probably is not the one I have, I am not sure.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #172 on: 12 Jan 2019, 05:45 pm »
How do you ‘balance’  the left and right channel? (Level match the two) By ear?

I have two options. If using music server I run them full gain and adjust volume of server though ipad [ iPeng] or if using TT or CD transport adjust by ear easy enough. Actually a benefit if any balancing of channels is required.
   If using two separate from each other sounds better [ no stacking]

charles

OzarkTom

« Reply #173 on: 15 Jan 2019, 02:39 am »
I gabbed a used Tisbury off of Ebay and have been listening for a week, these are very hard to find used. And I like this vey much. Top to bottom it beats the Nobsound, more air, ambiance, bass, and naturalness. This passive has more detail, but at the same time, more tube like. I switched back to the Nobsound for just a few minutes, the Tisbury is it. For the asking price, it is highly recommended.

Thank you Folsom and Wushulu for the advice.

I am still waiting for the $99 Dact type from Hong Kong, I will see if it sounds the same. I imagine it will.

sumoking

« Reply #174 on: 15 Jan 2019, 02:55 am »
I gabbed a used Tisbury off of Ebay and have been listening for a week, these are very hard to find used. And I like this vey much. Top to bottom it beats the Nobsound, more air, ambiance, bass, and naturalness. This passive has more detail, but at the same time, more tube like. I switched back to the Nobsound for just a few minutes, the Tisbury is it. For the asking price, it is highly recommended.

Thank you Folsom and Wushulu for the advice.

I am still waiting for the $99 Dact type from Hong Kong, I will see if it sounds the same. I imagine it will.

Did you get this one?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tisbury-Audio-Mini-Passive-Preamp-II-Pre-Amplifier-Switch-Box-Attenuator/171062829201?epid=2271710534&hash=item27d423a091:g:jWoAAOSwBahVaePS:rk:1:pf:1

Thank you.

sumoking

« Reply #176 on: 15 Jan 2019, 03:20 am »
Yes.

This is the one I am waiting on.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SMD-Dact-type-Stepped-attenuator-Passive-Preamplifier/192132688811?hash=item2cbc002bab:g:FI8AAOxySE9Q50ON:rk:1:pf:1

The Tisbury has -10db and -20db settings. The Tisbury is also well balanced at very low volume settings which I like very much.

Thanks for posting!

Poultrygeist

« Reply #177 on: 15 Jan 2019, 10:56 am »
Yes.

This is the one I am waiting on.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SMD-Dact-type-Stepped-attenuator-Passive-Preamplifier/192132688811?hash=item2cbc002bab:g:FI8AAOxySE9Q50ON:rk:1:pf:1

The Tisbury has -10db and -20db settings. The Tisbury is also well balanced at very low volume settings which I like very much.

Please let us know how they compare.

hifix

« Reply #178 on: 16 Jan 2019, 04:47 pm »
I've been enjoying a passive attenuator in front of my TPA3116
I got some "inspiration" from here...

https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=3917.0

Its got nudes.  Lots of nudes.

OzarkTom

« Reply #179 on: 22 Jan 2019, 03:58 pm »
I got the Hong Kong passive in and how very nice. I will call it the HKP for short.

Build quality, much better than the NBobsound and Tisbury. It is about 3-4 times larger than the Nobsound and 2-3 times larger than the Tisbury. If you hook a lot of cables up, much less likely to move around. Out of the box, the HKP sounded equal to the Tisbury. While breaking in, it has surpassed the Tisbury. The HKP has audiophile grade wiring, the Tisbury does not.

Instead of buying one Tisbury for $200, get two HKP for $200 and run them dual mono. This passive is a huge steal at only $99.