new omega compact alnico monitor owner

uncola

new omega compact alnico monitor owner
« on: 1 Mar 2024, 04:23 pm »
I just received my CAMs and love them.  the vocals and midrange are really special.  I use them in a nice desk setup on 20" speaker stands behind my ultrawide computer monitor.  I have a small 10" verafi caldera subwoofer with class ab plate amp inside that integrates very well. 

I'm glad I dipped my toe into the single driver waters... using mini gan monoblocks(class d) with them but will experiment with lower power amps soon.  I already have the other amps I'm just too lazy to hook them up today.   :lol:

Previous to the CAMs I had 22" tall 3 way Selah bookshelves on my desk speaker stands.. not sure my desk setup was using them to their best advantage because I sit close to the speakers and I know 3 ways need distance for all 3 drivers output to sum, so those are back in the living room. 

I was afraid of treble and bass rolloff with using a single driver bookshelf, but I hear all the treble in familiar songs.. there's maybe a small bass reduction compared to my old speakers but the midrange and naturalness is well worth it, and now I have this subwoofer to help.  I'm really happy with the purchase and the speakers are beautiful in macassar ebony veneer. 

pics and impressions of the other amps to come later

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
Re: new omega compact alnico monitor owner
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2024, 04:58 pm »
Did you buy new?  If so, 100-200 hours for the surrounds to soften and give you much better bass quality.  If you bought them used, well.... nevermind!

uncola

« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2024, 05:13 pm »
Got them used, I got lucky.  I rarely see them for sale

uncola

« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2024, 12:25 pm »
AMP COMPARISON:

In the past I had an ncore nc502mp amp powering my selah voce 3 way bookshelves.. then I got my hands on an Aleph Mini 18W diy amp, it's a Class A amp.. and the soundstage and imaging and just holographic illusion they created was amazing compared to the ncore.  But then I got my current Mini Gan Class D Monoblocks and they combined all the high power benefits of my previous Class D ncore nc502mp and the Aleph Mini class A amp together. 

So now that I have Omega CAM's I decided to go back and try the Aleph Mini because of how everyone says low watt Class A stuff matches well with sensitive widebander speakers.. and the soundstage and imaging are just as great as I remember.. but seem no better than the mini gan class d monoblocks.  and the monoblocks have the advantages of big power and super low noise floor and no heat.  So back to the mini gan monoblocks I go and I can put my mind at ease about missing out on anything.

RDavidson

« Reply #4 on: 3 Mar 2024, 02:14 am »
Your “discovery” (for lack of a better word) doesn’t have much to do with how many watts you feed Omegas (within their limits) as much as how those watts are produced. Indeed, class A amps (tube and SS) have been the go-to recommendation. This recommendation stretches probably close to 2 decades now…which is LONG before good class D amps existed. Things have changed over the years and class D has come a VERY long way, especially with Hypex, Ncore, Gan. In general, what’s common between class A and class D (in my experience) is that their sound characteristics are consistent, starting with the first few fractions of a watt. Other amps, particularly class A/B don’t always have this kind of consistency. What I’ve found is that many such amps have to be pushed a bit to sound their best. Well…Omegas will not stress such an amp at all and this is a big reason why you almost never see anyone recommend a class A/B amp pairing. Anyway, thought you’d appreciate this bit of background info. I probably need to try a Gan amp one of these days…especially with summer coming and I don’t like running my class A amps in summer.

uncola

« Reply #5 on: 3 Mar 2024, 02:24 am »
Very interesting!  I love learning the reasons for why audiophile culture and beliefs occur