RM10 as Monos

tubegroove

RM10 as Monos
« on: 10 Apr 2013, 11:01 am »
I might consider at some point moving away from bookshelf to 3 way floorstanders (4-6ohm, 91dB).  I know the RM10 is a real gutsy amp but would appreciate any feedback from any member who might have used the RM10 with floorstanders.  The other question in my mind is if (and when) it might make sense to use two of them as monos - I don't listen very loud (peak 85db maybe 90dB once in a while) so wattage of the stereo amp is not really a constraint ?

pehare

Re: RM10 as Monos
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2013, 01:46 pm »
I'm using Coincident Partial Eclipse II's (92dB, 7.9-10 ohm, 3 ways) w/a RM10MkII (light loaded on 4 ohm taps) for a couple years now - plenty of power & we really crank it sometimes.  In my case it does sound better light loaded.  I think you need to try it & I believe you'll be fine at those decibels of listening.

Clio09

« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2013, 01:48 pm »
My speakers are rated at 92 dB with a very smooth impedance curve. I listen anywhere between 70 dB and 85 dB and find that one RM-10 is plenty. Doesn't appear to me to run out of gas and I listen to a variety of material from simple acoustic to large orchestra and big band. I even light load my RM-10 (use the 4 ohm tap or configure it for a 2 ohm tap with my 8 ohm speakers) and while there is a loss of power doing this there are benefits as well and overall I find the sound to be better.

I suppose two would be nice if I wanted to throw a few house or block parties, but I am not so inclined.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2013, 01:56 pm »
Well, I tend to overdo, I know that.  :green:

I just bought a pair of the original RM10's with the intent of using them as monos whether I actually need that much power or not. I'm retired and I never try to blow out my windows. I just want to be able to occasionally crank it even just a little.

I plan to eventually use them with my Maggies. But I have the MG12's and a small listening/living room. I also will try my RM10 monos with some small monitors and some rather large monitors.

I also have a RM5 III on the way for an all MR system, so some good times ahead!  :drool:

Gene

mick wolfe

« Reply #4 on: 10 Apr 2013, 04:28 pm »
I might consider at some point moving away from bookshelf to 3 way floorstanders (4-6ohm, 91dB).  I know the RM10 is a real gutsy amp but would appreciate any feedback from any member who might have used the RM10 with floorstanders.  The other question in my mind is if (and when) it might make sense to use two of them as monos - I don't listen very loud (peak 85db maybe 90dB once in a while) so wattage of the stereo amp is not really a constraint ?

I would follow Pehare's suggestion and stick with a single RM 10. His speakers present a very friendly load for a tube amplifier. I'm not sure the speakers you described will be quite as friendly, but certainly worth a try. If it doesn't work out, I would move on to an RM 9 of some ilk rather than strapping two RM 10's. Years ago I had 2 RM 10's strapped and found over time I preferred the sound of a single RM 10. The increase in power didn't seem that significant for one and even strapped in mono 2 RM 10's could not play as loud with the composure/ headroom of my CJ MV 50.

tubegroove

« Reply #5 on: 11 Apr 2013, 09:00 am »
Thanks all for the input.  Looks like I will have to give it try with a single RM10 and take it from there - from the looks of it, it should work out for the most part

rbwalt

« Reply #6 on: 11 Apr 2013, 01:43 pm »
35 watts should be ok for the speakers. you did not mention the size of your room. i will tell you that merlin music uses the ARS-Sonum amp( 30 watts or so) on their VSM's and TSM's. the speakers are about 89 to 90 db efficient and have a impedance of 8 ohms.so you should be ok with the RM10. i listened to a RM10 briefly on my VSM's without any issues.

good luck and happy listening.

tubegroove

« Reply #7 on: 12 Apr 2013, 08:07 am »
I should have mentioned that I currently light load my RM10 with the bookshelf speakers and since it sounds better that way would like to do the same if and when I get the larger floorstanders.  Which means I am down to about 18-20W/ch.  Room size is ~300sq ft but I don't listen too loud. 

rbwalt - thanks. did you change the amp for your VSMs from RM10 to something with higher wattage?

rbwalt

« Reply #8 on: 13 Apr 2013, 01:49 pm »
no. a fellow brought his RM10 over to compare it with my RM9SE.He wanted to audition the SE and thought it would be interesting to compare the the two and to hear how it sounded on my rig. i think this must have been about 3 yrs ago now.

i think one key here is the amount of headroom the amp is going to have and how well it clips and comes out of it. in other words does it do it gracefully.

now the new Merlin's VSM's are being driven by the new ARS-Sonum amp which is 60 watts per channel. this is what bobby at Merlin is using at the shows and to great reviews.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #9 on: 13 Apr 2013, 02:33 pm »
Since this in line with the original topic, I'll keep it here.

I just added a nice RM5 III to my RM-10 monos. One of the things that interested me about the RM5, besides the all MR synergy thingy, is that you can change the gain of the pre. I wanted more range on my volume control.

I'm using small monitors with a sub, but everything sounds really sweet.

Thanks Roger!  :thumb:

Gene

pehare

« Reply #10 on: 13 Apr 2013, 07:16 pm »
great thing about the RM10 is you don't need a preamp if you have a cd player w/a decent volume control.  not to derail - but rbwalt/rob have you ever tried your audio aero cdp direct to the RM9SE?