Kismet paired with Wilson Audio speakers?

psdunn

Kismet paired with Wilson Audio speakers?
« on: 19 Mar 2024, 04:40 am »
i'm a new member and at this point, not yet able to search the forum to see if there's already an answer to my question.  The Odyssey Kismet Mono's are on my list of amps to consider pairing with Wilson Audio Sophia 3's.  Is there anyone on here that has experience with the amp with either that speaker or Wilson's?  They're 87db efficient and impedance dips below 3 ohms at some frequencies.  I'm particularly sensitive to bright, harsh upper frequencies so looking for soft smooth and warm treble. 

Thank you!

qdrone

Re: Kismet paired with Wilson Audio speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2024, 10:55 pm »
Call Klaus Bunge at Odyssey Audio. He is a night owl so maybe e mail him 1st. He probably could contour his amps for you specific speakers. Best bang for your buck regarding new gear.

psdunn

« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2024, 05:27 am »
Call Klaus Bunge at Odyssey Audio. He is a night owl so maybe e mail him 1st. He probably could contour his amps for you specific speakers. Best bang for your buck regarding new gear.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I am going to go ahead and purchase a pair of Kismet monos.  I'll find out first hand how they do with the Sophia's.

simon wagstaff

« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2024, 11:37 am »
Kismet monos work well with my Maggie 2.7X. Ask Klaus about the transformer and cap upgrades. I think this is new from him, but not sure. It's what I got.

GeneS

« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2024, 11:57 am »
I’m guessing what Klaus will build for you will work very well with the Wilsons, and I would love to hear that combination myself!
He doesn’t build a “one size fits all”. He’ll ask you detailed questions about how you want to use the amps, what speakers, preamp, etc. Even the voltage of your house at different times of the day! He can also adjust the bias (to a certain degree) to cater the sound to your preference (warmer vs. brighter). His own Kismet Reference speakers are listed as 87dB efficiency and I believe the amps are stable down to 2 ohms :o.
I wouldn’t think twice about talking to him about this combination. I’ll bet he’s done it before. My other guess is, that if he didn’t think this combination would work, he’d help guide you to a combo that would. He’s a straight up guy who loves music and knows his shit.

Dishman442

« Reply #5 on: 12 Apr 2024, 07:50 pm »
Not directly on point, but worth mentioning.  I just got a pair of Wilson Sasha DAWs installed with the Odyssey tube Candela pre and mono Khartago Kismit amps. These speakers are more efficient at 91 db, but the load drops below 3 ohms at around 85 hz.

The system was down several weeks while tracking down the speakers, so cold as a stone. In typical Odyssey fashion, at first it sounded bloated and tubby, followed by thin and anemic.  Mind you, the speakers and the gear were completely broken in separately, but had been down too long.

After several days, man, things are coming together. Bass extension is coming back, without the tubby, and the high freqs are sweetening out. Most fun of all, the imaging width and depth are improving by the hour. I’m falling in love with Klaus’s gear all over again.

Dishman442

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 09:49 pm »
i'm a new member and at this point, not yet able to search the forum to see if there's already an answer to my question.  The Odyssey Kismet Mono's are on my list of amps to consider pairing with Wilson Audio Sophia 3's.  Is there anyone on here that has experience with the amp with either that speaker or Wilson's?  They're 87db efficient and impedance dips below 3 ohms at some frequencies.  I'm particularly sensitive to bright, harsh upper frequencies so looking for soft smooth and warm treble. 

Thank you!

I don’t know if you have spoken to Klaus or not. In case it’s “not” I’ll chime in based on my experience with mono Kismets driving DAWs. Between the tube candella pre and Klaus’ famous musical amps, I haven’t experienced hard or overly bright highs, with the exception of a couple rock albums from the 80s and 90s. Trust me, if the DAWs get handed hard and bright, they won’t hesitate to reproduce it that way. Forgiving is not in the Wilson vocabulary.

BUT, I can’t help you on how well the kismets will drive your speakers. The amps are quite gutsy and firmly out perform their price point, but 87 db is quite a bit less efficient than mine. Not a bad thing at all, but something to keep in mind. What music do you like, what size is your room?

If, for instance, you have a large room and love the driving bass of hip hop at high volumes, you might be underwhelmed. In that case, I might consider moving up to Klaus’ Stratos amps with the bigger case, power supply, etc. He will sell a new set, or if you have the patience, upgrade an older pair for you. He will steer you right, call him during the evening.

Very exciting times for you, enjoy!