M3 or maybe M4 for me?

SFDude

Re: M3 or maybe M4 for me?
« Reply #20 on: 23 Apr 2019, 03:56 am »
I have a less “problematic” room but it is also a bit of an “odd” configuration. The M3s work just fine here.

It is open to the left of the speaker (dining room area) and you can see the space extending out on the left as well. To the right, a baby grand at the corner of my living room.

Imaging, soundstage is still excellent.

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #21 on: 23 Apr 2019, 05:04 pm »
SO much great info here and I can't begin to thank everyone.

But let me ask, for those with M4's, any regret not going larger? My current speakers go down to 50hz and by 30hz are roughly -15db. I really like my currents but I want something that goes lower. I see the M4's stop at 40hz (though it'd be interesting to see the slope) and the M3 at 32. I guess I wonder if the M4 would leave me wishing I had gone M3. I do not want to get into subs and such.

Initially my budget was $2k but have recognized that $3k might allow better speakers to enter the equation.

As I said before I was 100% set on the Buchardt s400's and nothing about them so far has turned me off from them, but now the Spatials have me re-thinking. I have a year to drive myself insane on this so I will.

Anyone come from a $2-$4k stand mount to the Spatials?

2oldcranks

« Reply #22 on: 23 Apr 2019, 05:30 pm »
Hi M
I have M4TM and came from dynaudio focus 160s and Tyler Taylos,all 3 having a slightly diffrent sound.The focus had the nicest top end to my ears,but the taylos better balanced overall(than Dyns) The spatials play much louder and just seem to be loafing along.The top end of the Spatials took awhile to get used to as I loved the focus's tweeters and find the spatials a bit less "sweet"on top. I ran the M4TM's full range and they reach deeper than either of the monitors,but added a pair of ACI titan XL subs I got a couple miles from me on C-list . In hindsight would probably gone with the M3 just for the bit of extra extension and not having the subs taking up floor space.But I have zero complaints on the M4tms. They sound LARGE and effortless,makes listening a pleasure   
I am really interested in hearing some Larsen 6.2s just because of their design and size,might be the next pair I try :D
Happy to answere any ? you might have as to stand mount compared to the OB spatials :thumb:

Craig

who?me?

« Reply #23 on: 23 Apr 2019, 07:10 pm »
WickedMonkey.

7 walls? is that all you have to deal with??  :wink:  :scratch:d
Ribbing you. You would NEED to be a mathematician/engineer to fine tune those frequency waves!

AS posted earlier, I used the M3TMs ins a 13x17' listening room with another leg shooting off to where my bed was.

1.  I found that using a faux-barrier on the side of the room towards the bed was able to make better balance b/w L and R channels b/c of matching the bouncing of sound waves on both sides of the speaker. You can use furniture, audiophile barriers to do this with pretty good results.

2.  If you may be moving to a smaller space eventually, IMO, I would just get the smaller M4TMs and add one subwoofer, IME, you would not need 2 subs. And this is coming from a person who absolutely loves bass. Im not a basshead (my def: so much bass that it detracts from the SQ of the mids and highs), but bass is critical for me. not just for pace/rhythm, but for "fill". meaning that it is that little extra bass that goes down to 32 hz or so. It just gives me that little extra feeling of live music, or presence of the musicians in the room. You have a big room, and IME, would be fine with one sub in the center b/w your speakers (that is what I prefer).

3. the sweet spot for Spatials has historically been relatively narrow. That is much better these days with Spatial, but still has a focussed spot of best SQ in the triangle setup of speakers and listener. I still found that when I had music playing and was wondering around the room, the SQ was still very good, didn't feel like I was missing anything.

4. Although the Spatials have triode, easier to drive drivers, they still require a bit of power to make them sing.
People use all amps: tubes, SS, class D with good results. But if you run it with tubes, you will need some decent tube power. Class D amps really play well with Spatials. or a hybrid system (like the famous Vinnie Rossi amps that Clayton often uses at trade shows) are great.

5. Feel free to call Clayton in Utah. He is very personable and happy to help. I bought my M3TMs directly from him at a trade show in CA .... at a discount.
In fact, now is the best time to reach out to him. the big AXPONA show just ended 2 days ago, and all those dealers at the show now have Demo equipment on their hands that they want to get rid of. This is a strategy I have used over the years to get basically new gear for a discount. And they've already been burned in for me :green:

best of luck

Wind Chaser

« Reply #24 on: 23 Apr 2019, 08:45 pm »
Actually my smallish oddly peculiar room isn’t nearly as problematic as I had initially anticipated. I’ve heard the M3ts in three different rooms, mine being the smallest, and without a doubt I know which installation I prefer.  :green:

I’ve got mine 4’ off the front walls, almost 4’ away from the nearest side wall, with 12’ between them. This arrangement gives loads of clean deep bass, a very  —w—i—d—e— soundstage, and imaging to die for.

Much of this can be attributed to Clayton’s carefully considered design choices that went into the M3ts, like CD (controlled directivity) and the boxless open baffle.  Those two elements in particular set these speakers apart from 99.9% of everything else on the market; they enable the M3ts to perform at a very high level without issue, assuming the set up and associated gear is optimal.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #25 on: 23 Apr 2019, 09:01 pm »
Anyone come from a $2-$4k stand mount to the Spatials?

I tried a couple before settling on the M3ts... the typical stand mount box is so... different from the Spatial experience that... yeah, whatever.  I think Seinfeld said it best...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj3VphK9AMk

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #26 on: 24 Apr 2019, 01:51 pm »
I tried a couple before settling on the M3ts... the typical stand mount box is so... different from the Spatial experience that... yeah, whatever.  I think Seinfeld said it best...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj3VphK9AMk

Seems to be the theme in that don’t sound anything like stand mounts.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #27 on: 24 Apr 2019, 04:08 pm »
Seems to be the theme in that don’t sound anything like stand mounts.

Stand mounts can be excellent but they tend to put all the sound out in front of the speakers (and a bit to the sides), but have very little depth of soundstage especially compared to OB.  OB speakers just have a bigger, room filling sound. 

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #28 on: 24 Apr 2019, 06:05 pm »
Stand mounts can be excellent but they tend to put all the sound out in front of the speakers (and a bit to the sides), but have very little depth of soundstage especially compared to OB.  OB speakers just have a bigger, room filling sound.

Which is what I am looking for even if my space is small. That and gut punching bass. And some forgiveness for bad recording to which I have many

Tyson

« Reply #29 on: 24 Apr 2019, 07:20 pm »
Which is what I am looking for even if my space is small. That and gut punching bass. And some forgiveness for bad recording to which I have many

Yep, OBs are better in all those areas than standmounts, IME.

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #30 on: 24 Apr 2019, 07:33 pm »
Yep, OBs are better in all those areas than standmounts, IME.

HAHA You're making my wallet sweat

Tyson

« Reply #31 on: 24 Apr 2019, 07:37 pm »
I'll make it sweat a bit more :lol:  I'd go with the larger OB.  There's nothing like a large woofer sweeping a lot of air for really great, physical bass.  The very nice thing about OB speakers and OB bass is that it won't overwhelm a smaller room because of the way the bass couples to the room. 

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #32 on: 24 Apr 2019, 08:03 pm »
I'll make it sweat a bit more :lol:  I'd go with the larger OB.  There's nothing like a large woofer sweeping a lot of air for really great, physical bass.  The very nice thing about OB speakers and OB bass is that it won't overwhelm a smaller room because of the way the bass couples to the room.

I'd go M3 vs the M4. I feel like I might regret not "going all the way" as it were. So much for my $2k budget :duh:

Tyson

« Reply #33 on: 24 Apr 2019, 08:30 pm »
I'd go M3 vs the M4. I feel like I might regret not "going all the way" as it were. So much for my $2k budget :duh:

Just think of it as buying peace of mind :lol:

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #34 on: 29 May 2019, 05:35 pm »
Another thing I want to ask: Anyone listen to super bass heavy music? I'm curious as to how well the M3 does with tones in the 50hz on down range when very prevalent in the  music.

Examples: Scorn "Look At That" from the album Logghi Barogghi

https://youtu.be/IRqLgQwTdF4

And maybe also: Space Afrika "Uwem/Creation" from the album Somewhere Decent to Live

https://youtu.be/5qUir_O7L7k

And finally: Trepaneringsritualen "Death Worship" from the EP YOurs Is a Kingdom of Death

https://youtu.be/UCo7Eyr_i3I

Kozi

« Reply #35 on: 29 May 2019, 09:36 pm »
Hello !!  Greetings....
First post here.

I have personally owned many models of Spatials....M2 Turbo, M1 Turbo, Lumina 12Be, M3TM and currently waiting for my new X series.   So  I am quite familiar with the range.
Lumina 12Be is obviously the best of the range but I have to let it go...sadly due to relocation....
My advise is, if you can stretch it, go for the bigger M3 instead of M4*.. you will be amazed what the extra woofer size can do.
Spatials play LOUD.....without overloading your room like box speakers do....superb bass speed and control..makes you wanna turn the volume louder and louder until the neighbours call the cops.   

*unless your room is very small...

Tyson

« Reply #36 on: 29 May 2019, 11:12 pm »
If you listen to a lot of bass heavy music, go for the model with the bigger woofer.  Kozi is right, it just gets louder and more powerful without overloading the room. 

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #37 on: 29 May 2019, 11:43 pm »
Hello !!  Greetings....
First post here.

I have personally owned many models of Spatials....M2 Turbo, M1 Turbo, Lumina 12Be, M3TM and currently waiting for my new X series.   So  I am quite familiar with the range.
Lumina 12Be is obviously the best of the range but I have to let it go...sadly due to relocation....
My advise is, if you can stretch it, go for the bigger M3 instead of M4*.. you will be amazed what the extra woofer size can do.
Spatials play LOUD.....without overloading your room like box speakers do....superb bass speed and control..makes you wanna turn the volume louder and louder until the neighbours call the cops.   

*unless your room is very small...

Yeah, If I go with Spatials it'd definitely be the M3. Might even go triode. I guess my ignorance about open baffle speakers has me both interested and spooked. I know I can send them back but I don't want to be "that guy". I want to make as informed a decision as I can make before pulling the trigger.

undertowogt1

« Reply #38 on: 30 May 2019, 02:07 am »
My M3TS are in a 12.5 by 16 room , about 7 feet apart and 4 feet from the back wall.

harley.guy07

« Reply #39 on: 1 Jun 2019, 08:05 pm »
Next year I plan on upgrading from my Focal 807's to a new speaker. I have an unhealthy fascination with the Buchardt s400's but lately have been struck by the love people have for the Spatial's. So as I have more time than money I decided to start deep diving and reading on the matter.

So help me out here with a couple of very preliminary concerns:

1. The Size. Mostly likely I will living in increasingly smaller spaces, possibly studio apartments so I'm worried about these getting to a place where I love them but have no room for them. Anyone in this situation?

2. Imaging. From accounts I read the sweet spot is small but super focused. While I do get short spurts of time to sit and listen, I'm generally moving around and cleaning house, etc. Will the size of the sweet spot be a detriment in this case?

Last thing: I will be using these along with Odysey Audio amps and preamps, anyone doing the same?

Thanks in advance.

m

I watched a review on he Buchardt s400's and they are a very interesting design. I would think they would be worth taking a listen to especially if like smaller speakers in your setup. But for me he M3 Turbo S seem to fit my every need. I do run a custom built sub with them that is crossed over very low just to fill in the lowest bass. But otherwise very happy.