Universal Blu-ray Player

Likesmusic

Universal Blu-ray Player
« on: 19 Oct 2019, 07:14 pm »
I'm looking to purchase a universal Blu-ray Player. Some of the models I am looking at are Ayre DX-5 DSD, Marantz UD7007, Pioneer UDP-LX800 and LX500 and Sony UBPX1100ES. Sound quality is a higher priority than video quality.

I am looking for opinions as to what others think as to which unit would be the best one to get and if there are other units that I should be looking at. I am leaning a little more towards models that are currently being manufactured solely for manufactures support but if there are enough compelling arguments for purchasing a discontinued unit that might persuade me to go that route.

I also have a Cambridge Audio 851N dac that the blu-ray audio can be connected to in case that makes a difference.

Thanks

witchdoctor

Re: Universal Blu-ray Player
« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2019, 09:32 pm »
I own an earlier version of the Sony X1100ES (the Sony UHPH1) and would recommend the Sony highly for SQ and a lot of other reason.
1) It plays every format/disc including SACD and DVD-A.
2) It is DLNA capable. It comes bundled with the Spotify streaming app but I use bubbleupnp to stream tidal NP.
3) It has a feature called DSEE-HX which is NOT just an upsampler. It is a proprietary Sony technology that takes the incoming audio signal and makes it more like a hirez signal. It really works. I have had DACS that upsample before and this is much better. 
https://blogs.sonymobile.com/2016/03/15/behind-the-acronym-dsee-hx-with-audio-engineer-kenichi-matsumoto/
4) It has a bunch of streaming apps which was  very important to me. I think more than the other players available.
5) You can also use its built in DTS-Neo 6 feature for either movies or music. I like it listening to old movies that are in stereo to be able to hear them in surround.
6) Sony is always releasing new firm ware updates which keeps it updated.
7) It includes RCA,optical, and coax outs in addition to HDMI.
8) It has two HDMI ports and a feature you can choose to enable which send the video out one port and the audio out the other. When this is engaged it makes a nice upgrade to both video and audio.
9) It sounds GREAT as a stand alone CDP.
10) The price is nice.

If you aren't interested in Dolby Vision you might find the Sony 1000ES on sale. It is similar to the 1100ES in all other aspects except for DV.

rotarius

« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2019, 04:03 pm »
I have had the Sony UHPH1 for 2 years. Sound is decent via analog outputs, I can't  speak for the HDMi outputs.  Recently, it started giving me trouble loading discs, erratic behavior  and what not so I brought out my old Sony dvd/sacd/CD changer which just sounds better, more dynamic and 3D.  The newer Sony is better at detail retrieval but sounds flat in comparison. 
Definatly not up to the old ES build quality either.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2019, 04:39 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  Not sure of your budget, but there are also vendors that do mods - e.g. https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=163471.0

witchdoctor

« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2019, 05:03 pm »
I have had the Sony UHPH1 for 2 years. Sound is decent via analog outputs, I can't  speak for the HDMi outputs.  Recently, it started giving me trouble loading discs, erratic behavior  and what not so I brought out my old Sony dvd/sacd/CD changer which just sounds better, more dynamic and 3D.  The newer Sony is better at detail retrieval but sounds flat in comparison. 

Have you tried going into settings and doing a factory reset?

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 20 Oct 2019, 06:08 pm »

When you mention loading discs are you talking about SACDs?  Some of the old Sony players can be re-set by turning on the player with an SACD in it (from memory it might be a single layer SACD - probably posts about it on the Hi-Rez area of Audio Asylum).

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/sacd-player-won-t-play-hybrid-sacds
https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/hi-fi-systems/sony-sacd-players-not-reading-sacd-hybrid-discs/td-p/1880001
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=163471.0

One of many reasons why I went to file playback (for the prices an Oppo 203 sells for at this point, I might even sell mine at one point as it basically just sees use with UHD movies and I own about 10 of those) - have a DAC and play files uses various media servers vs. using something like the Oppo.

rotarius

« Reply #6 on: 20 Oct 2019, 08:56 pm »
Have you tried going into settings and doing a factory reset?
Yes, reset twice.  Still had trouble with discs and also staying connected to wifi.  It also got terribly slow responding to power on/off button.  I thought a 350 dollar player should last longer..oh well.

Likesmusic

« Reply #7 on: 20 Oct 2019, 11:22 pm »
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the feed back.

I do not like to state a budget because it can limit responses. If someone mentions something that I can't afford but it turns out to be the piece of gear that fits my needs the best, I will try to find it used or I will wait until I can afford it.

If anyone else has input please feel free to respond.

Thanks

witchdoctor

« Reply #8 on: 20 Oct 2019, 11:45 pm »
Yes, reset twice.  Still had trouble with discs and also staying connected to wifi.  It also got terribly slow responding to power on/off button.  I thought a 350 dollar player should last longer..oh well.

There is a a way to reinstall the OS if you call Sony. When you boot it back up you will see about 3 apps and it will ask you if you want to install software and then it will reinstall the OS fresh. You just need to connect to the internet first. Hope it works out.