Strata Mini w/o sub for HT?

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
Strata Mini w/o sub for HT?
« on: 8 Mar 2007, 01:28 am »
Hi:

Question for Strata Mini owners.  Can these speakers (with the powered 8" subs) stand on their own when using them for HT.  I have an integrated 2 channel/HT system.  I currently own Odyssey Nightengales that I use for 2 channel.  However, I also own a very nice sub built by Alain Coutreau (only two ever built for Klaus) along with an Odyssey Nemesis Center that I use when watching TV/HT.  I may have to sell the sub :bawl: if our moving plans go forward.

Thanks,
rklein

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Strata Mini w/o sub for HT?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2007, 03:46 am »
Hi:

Question for Strata Mini owners.  Can these speakers (with the powered 8" subs) stand on their own when using them for HT.  I have an integrated 2 channel/HT system.  I currently own Odyssey Nightengales that I use for 2 channel.  However, I also own a very nice sub built by Alain Coutreau (only two ever built for Klaus) along with an Odyssey Nemesis Center that I use when watching TV/HT.  I may have to sell the sub :bawl: if our moving plans go forward.

Thanks,
rklein

Of course they can be "used"... aa

How much, how deep, and how impactful do you want your bass for HT?

How big is your room?

Based on my limited exposure to them at RMAF I would say that for me they wouldn't be enough for HT use in anything but the smallest rooms.

But that's me...

George

« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2007, 01:20 am by zybar »

rklein

« Reply #2 on: 8 Mar 2007, 12:58 pm »
How much, how deep, and how impactful do you want your bass for HT?

How big is your room?

Being a classically trained musician & used to playing in symphony orchestras (clarinet), I am in constant awe on how much emphasis people including some audiophiles, put on the lower frequencies of sound production.  My older brother was so proud when he integrated a sub into his car stereo.  Yes, the bass was there allright... just WAY TOO MUCH.  For me, the bass needs to "fit in" with the rest of the sound picture.  In other words, for me, bass production in not the main kahuna.  I also know that my outlook on bass comes from an acoustical backround.  I also know that bass reproduction from Rock is 99% electronically enhanced and therefore is not necessarily a bad thing in that genre.  That said, I do like some bass impact when watching movies.  Let's face it, special effects and the sounds associated with them are here to stay in movies and I enjoy them as much as the next guy.  Do I need the biggest and best sub?  We probably use 30 to 40% of what our current sub is capable of delivering.

Our room is 16 x 32 with a sloping cathedral type ceiling.  It is not a small room.  We sit about 12 feet away from the L,R & center speakers.

thanks,
rklein

MaxCast

« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2007, 01:05 pm »
Get the mini's and keep your sub.

You should be able to use the sub with movies and use just the minis full range for 2 channel.  Don't know your receiver/prepro.

rklein

« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2007, 02:08 pm »
Hi MaxCast:

I currently am using an Odyssey Tempest pre & Odyssey Khartagos amp for my 2 channel listening and then use the HT bypass feature and use a Marantz SR-7200 as my pre for TV/HT.  the Marantz also powers my center and two rears.

Get the mini's and keep your sub.

Ah, if life was only that simple... :roll: Part of my reasoning with my lovely wife on purchasing the Mini's was that we might be able to get rid of that "big box" in the corner of the room.  The Stratas are one foot taller than my Nightengales and the floor footprint is significantly more as well.  You guys are making my "sales job" significantly harder. :lol:

One thing I could do would be to move the sub to another corner of the room(by one of the rears) this would basically "hide" the sub.  Since, I only use the sub for TV/movies I could probably live with that placement.  Is placing the sub to the side of where we sit that detrimental if it is only on for movies?

Thanks,
rklein

musicman06

« Reply #5 on: 9 Mar 2007, 07:39 am »
It depends on your room acoustics as to whether it will sound good in the corner, but that may be an option. It is quite common to place a sub in the back corner by the seating location. It may not be ideal but may be preferred to no sub at all. I certainly agree that for most music, save pipe organ type stuff, the minis will be fine without added bass for 2ch.

MaxCast

« Reply #6 on: 10 Mar 2007, 01:18 am »
If your sold on the minis get them.  Take out the sub or move the sub and try it.  See if you can live without the sub or the sub moved.  Either way you will have a sweet sounding set up.  I doubt you will notice the sub in a different corner if you xo at or below 80hz.

JDarby - Stereomojo.com

• Stereomojo.com
« Reply #7 on: 2 Apr 2007, 09:30 pm »
I spent three weeks with the Minis before we published our "preview review". At the end I say that the Mini's would make EXCELLENT mains in a surround HT - with no sub needed. I recommended them to a friend who bought them and is using them for 2-channel (CD& Turntable) AND 5 channel surround. I set them up for him.
They sound great in a rather large room. Just get them. If you HAVE to have a sub, you can always add one later.