The Power of the Dog

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
The Power of the Dog
« on: 16 Feb 2022, 10:59 pm »
Benedict Cumberbatch playing a turn of the century Montana rancher is interesting, Jesse Plemons is always interesting, and Kirsten Dunst was interesting as a kid... but together they played characters in one of the most dull and lifeless bits of cinema I've sat through in decades.  Yeah, there are some developments, although seemingly out of thin air.  An occasional clumsy foreshadowing, and dialogue that gives little clue to the interplay that led to it's sparce, silence filled awkwardness. 
It was just bad- ugly with little redeeming value.  Even the cinematography made a Montana ranch look grey and beige.
Nominated for a slew of awards.  Makes me wonder how bad the rest of the field must be.   :thumbdown:

findog3103

Re: The Power of the Dog
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2022, 11:28 pm »
I actually liked it.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2022, 11:37 pm »
Reviews seem to be love/hate.

ACHiPo

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2022, 12:13 am »
We watched it last weekend.  I'm still trying to decide whether I liked it or not.  Great story, VERY dry presentation, excellent character development.  If I use the test I usually use for films it passes, ie I keep thinking about the film for hours and days after watching it.

Craig B

« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2022, 12:19 pm »
It's been quite a few weeks since we watched it, but my recollection was that it was alright. It was successful at setting moods, and there was some character development (though I think it rushed Cumberbatch's change in attitude toward the boy - more time and detail there could have made that transition more believable), but overall I think it pretended to a profundity that it just didn't possess.