What is the Temperature of Your Hot Water?

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: What is the Temperature of Your Hot Water?
« Reply #20 on: 6 Nov 2013, 01:50 am »
Thanks all, I appreciate your input.

However, at your stated temperatures, what is your water heater setting? Midway on the dial? Above or below midway?  :scratch:

Thanks again,

Jerry

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #21 on: 6 Nov 2013, 01:45 pm »
I never looked at mine.
But wouldn't that be irrelevant and depend on whether it's a 7000 watt unit, or a 10,000 watt unit, or gas, propane, electric, and even then how old the elements are and how full of sediment it is???  :dunno:

Charles Xavier

« Reply #22 on: 6 Nov 2013, 02:25 pm »
you sound like the GE repairman that I just had to my house

:lol:

A good temp at the faucet is 130F...hot enough for you dish washer to work properly and not to hot to scald or use too much energy..BTW..run the water till hot at the kitchen tap before starting dishwasher, otherwise the tub will fill with cold water that is in the water pipe  and not do as good a job.
The problem with energy efficient water heaters is slow recovery,,Like a car with a small engine it takes longer to get up the hill but saves gas. Water heaters can be slow to regain the preset temp after a shower or a load of laundry. This is where a higher capacity helps..more gallons of hot water at the ready..but this costs more money.
Tankless on demand heaters are best...all the hot water you want and no wasted money keeping 50 gallons hot when you don't need it.
Greg

GT Audio Works

« Reply #23 on: 6 Nov 2013, 06:05 pm »
you sound like the GE repairman that I just had to my house

:lol:
That's because I am a repairman,, and a few other things too !!  :lol:

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #24 on: 6 Nov 2013, 11:19 pm »
At the faucet, it is 138F (and in the freezer it is 2F). My hot water heater will have enough hot water to take a shower after at least 2 days of power outage :)

It helps me wash the screen of my French Press without soap, and it's too hot to hold my hand under the water!

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #25 on: 7 Nov 2013, 01:33 am »
I never looked at mine.
But wouldn't that be irrelevant and depend on whether it's a 7000 watt unit, or a 10,000 watt unit, or gas, propane, electric, and even then how old the elements are and how full of sediment it is???  :dunno:

I don't think it would be totally irrelevant; there's most likely some type of industry standard.

On one side of my dial is the word "Warm". Then, as the dial turns clockwise, there are several raised markers. One is far more prominent than the others, almost suggesting a preferred setting. All the way clockwise is the word "Hot".

Mind you, the pop-off valve exists, too. That little safety device should never actually work unless your heater boils the water and pressurizes the tank with steam. The valve blows the steam, rather than the tank blowing into watery little pieces.

So, as noted, my dial is set at the W of "Warm", and it's 127 degrees F. I had it set at the previously mentioned "preferred" spot, and the valve blew. I'm curious where other dials are set, and the temperature of the water at that setting.

Again, I would suspect there is some standard as to temperature ranges associated with the dial setting, regardless of the BTU rating (kind of like speedometers - 65 mph is always near the middle of the gauge regardless of horsepower), but I'm not sure. Thus the question.  :thumb:

Have fun,

Jerry

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #26 on: 7 Nov 2013, 01:26 pm »
Ahhh..I understand and see your point. Yea, I guess you're correct.
Although I still can't answer the question, but by the time I get home at night, I'm too lazy to find the answer for you.  :P

Bob