9V2 SE and P9 coming next week

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
9V2 SE and P9 coming next week
« on: 9 Apr 2009, 10:38 am »
I just purchased 2 9V2 SE's and the P9 pre amp and they will arrive next week. I currently use 2 Arcam amps (A90 and P90) to drive B&W  speakers with a Transporter as the source (flac files). Any tips on set up that would help get the best out of the new gear. I live in the UK. I am a bit concerned with the output of the transporter at 3vrms and the postings on volume control. Also is it true with the need to have 75 hrs run in time with the Nu force gear.

thanks

daz_bike

Re: 9V2 SE and P9 coming next week
« Reply #1 on: 9 Apr 2009, 06:55 pm »
Hi David,

I can assure you that you will be in for a treat.  As far as set up goes, the gear is sensitive to isolation, so I would experiment with various types of footers and/or shelf materials (depending on your setup).  I know some people that just plonk them down on there furniture and leave them at that (Generally for WAF!).  I have found a small weight on top of the amp cases to be beneficial in improving the sound. Around 5kgs (10lbs). Easy to test.  With the P9 you will have various configurations you can set up the two boxes - stacked, side by side or on separate shelves.  Again, you will have to experiment to what suits you best for aesthetics and sound.  Yes the gear will require break in - anything with caps, wires, resistors etc requires break-in (IMHO).  As a guide the recommended for Nuforce gear is 75hrs, however I think the best is 200hrs and beyond.  Don't get freaked with the out of the box sound and give it a good week to stabalise in your system and get some hours on those components.  Also, leave the amps powered up as they need quite a few hours after a cold start to sound there best.  The power draw on standby is next to nothing and they do not get hot.

If you have a Transporter then I can wholeheartedly recommend the Modwright Transporter modification ... A fantastic source that is head and shoulders above the stock Transporter.  I got one about a month and a half ago and I have been so impressed.  A nice match for the solid sate Nuforce components I might add. Regards

Kenobi

« Reply #2 on: 9 Apr 2009, 09:33 pm »
Daz_bike is correct about the Nuforce's sensitivity to vibration isolation.  Generally, I have found that hard spiky/metalic cones are not a good match but the softer more pliant footers do better.  My theory is that these are highly revealing gears and the spikes, metalic cones or any type of footers that tend to wring out more top end energy or details do skew the balance to the analytical, light and dry side of the spectrum.  Many gears need this extra details but not these Nuforces.  So the key is balance.

Lastly, I recommend that cablings to be slightly on the warm side of neutral and certainly not lean the other way.  Unless if your system is already overly warmish.  Overall, these are a great pair and have fun optimizing them in your system.  Above all, enjoy the music these will bring.

Kenobi

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2009, 09:00 am »
Thanks for the tips. I will check out the Transporter mods as I see there is a site devoted to it. Adding the weight to the top of the amps sounds like a good and inexpensive solution. My current connectors are Chord Silver Chameleons. I am not experienced enough to know "warm" sounding connectors so any recommendations on that front?

I will write back and let you know how it sounds after the burn in time

Thanks again

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2009, 07:51 pm »
Oh well, might be too late, but if you can wait for 2 months, we are planning to release a set of speaker cables and interconnect based on something called "Focused Field Technology". We used the interconnect at CES 2009 the entire time (speaker cable was not ready at that time). It is that good that we will use it for a trade show to demo the amps. Retail price range from $150 to $300.

Top of the line performance at down to earth price.

Jason