Outstanding Demo CD's etc...

Stratman

Re: Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« Reply #1240 on: 3 Mar 2013, 11:01 pm »
I just got standard Songtowers and a Rythmik sub a few weeks ago.  I'd suggest that Brenda Russell's "Piano In The Dark" sounds spectacular in my room.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #1241 on: 3 Apr 2013, 01:55 pm »
Hey Stratman...

What cd do you have with the Piano in the Dark?

There are several on the 'A"...with this song.

Thanks
Alex

chargedmr2

« Reply #1242 on: 7 Apr 2013, 01:32 pm »
Can anyone recommend some nicely recorded classical music featuring the cello?  Hope that's not an odd question or too out of place for this thread, but I've really been enjoying the cello lately.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #1243 on: 7 Apr 2013, 05:00 pm »
Can anyone recommend some nicely recorded classical music featuring the cello?  Hope that's not an odd question or too out of place for this thread, but I've really been enjoying the cello lately.

Try these two....

Yo-Yo Ma ...."The 6 Unaccompanied Cello Suites Complete"

Samples...

Janos Starker ... "Starker Plays Kodaly"

Samples...

Another fine cellist...Jacqueline du Pré .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUgdbqt2ON0

Frans

• Has anyone seen my last marble?
« Reply #1244 on: 7 Apr 2013, 05:07 pm »
Try any classical JVC XRCD24 recordings.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/c/32/XRCD24_CD

chargedmr2

« Reply #1245 on: 7 Apr 2013, 08:33 pm »
Thanks for the recommendations.  Those samples were very nice and I will be ordering both CDs  :thumb:

Edit to add: both CDs arrived and they sound great through my STs.  Thanks again.
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2013, 04:11 am by chargedmr2 »

Saturn94

« Reply #1246 on: 21 Apr 2013, 11:14 pm »
Try these two....

Yo-Yo Ma ...."The 6 Unaccompanied Cello Suites Complete"

Samples...

Janos Starker ... "Starker Plays Kodaly"

Samples...

Another fine cellist...Jacqueline du Pré .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUgdbqt2ON0

Loved the Jacqueline Du Pre clip....just ordered a cd.  Thanks!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #1247 on: 21 Apr 2013, 11:42 pm »
Loved the Jacqueline Du Pre clip....just ordered a cd.  Thanks!

Good...it's a strong ... powerful ...emotional...and sad piece.

Edward Elgar's Concerto for cello and orchestra in E minor, from the year 1919, is the last major work the composer penned (a Third Symphony remained in draft form at his death in 1934). While the instrumental forces remain basically equivalent to those used in the Violin Concerto, Elgar has amplified the tender, searching intimacy of that earlier work to such a degree that one might call the Cello Concerto not just introspective but searing and almost ascetic. It is an exceedingly complex but immediately touching work that makes a fitting epilogue to Elgar's lifetime in music.

jaw5279

« Reply #1248 on: 29 Apr 2013, 06:03 pm »
If you like bluegrass, try a CD by the group Balsam Range.  I saw them perform in a live concert on a public TV bluegrass show (Song of the Mountains) and was impressed.  Picked up one of their older CD/s (Marching Home) and enjoyed the music and the recording.   

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #1249 on: 29 Apr 2013, 07:47 pm »
Speaking of which:

I like to call it chamber music for Woodchucks and Rednecks :lol:

Doc

OgOgilby

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #1251 on: 27 May 2013, 02:10 pm »
Anyone have any "good" CD's, recorded or re-mastered well for that old Richard Harris guy???

Yea I know that was a looooong time ago!

Alex

:D

jsalk

« Reply #1252 on: 17 Aug 2013, 06:10 am »
I haven't spent to much time lurking here lately.  But one CD I don't think has been mentioned yet is Roadhouse and Automobiles by Chris Jones.  No Sanctuary Here is a great cut.

http://www.amazon.com/Roadhouses-Automobiles-Chris-Jones/dp/B00015BIOQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376719686&sr=8-1&keywords=chris+jones

- Jim

SoCalWJS

« Reply #1253 on: 17 Aug 2013, 04:06 pm »
I haven't spent to much time lurking here lately.  But one CD I don't think has been mentioned yet is Roadhouse and Automobiles by Chris Jones.  No Sanctuary Here is a great cut.

http://www.amazon.com/Roadhouses-Automobiles-Chris-Jones/dp/B00015BIOQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376719686&sr=8-1&keywords=chris+jones

- Jim
I first heard this one at RMAF 2011 in the Headphone Room on a very nice rig. Bought it as soon as I got home (couldn't find it at the show).

I use No Sanctuary Here all the time. Crank it up and see if it all holds together - tells you a lot about a system in just a few seconds.  :thumb:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #1254 on: 17 Aug 2013, 05:47 pm »
Great! Thanks Jim...

I will check this one out for sure..

You use anything on this cd in your demo cd etc??

Alex

jsalk

« Reply #1255 on: 18 Aug 2013, 03:03 am »
Great! Thanks Jim...

I will check this one out for sure..

You use anything on this cd in your demo cd etc??

Alex

No Sanctuary Here gets quite a bit of play at shows.  It would certainly be on our demo CD, but I have not done a new one in a few years.  Perhaps its time.

- Jim

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1256 on: 18 Aug 2013, 06:47 am »
Thanks for that link, Chris, to Miss du Pre.  Just wow.  I have her EMI recording of Elgar but this seemed greater still.  Positively wow.  I'll listen again very soon. 

Frans

• Has anyone seen my last marble?
« Reply #1257 on: 9 Sep 2013, 01:05 am »
I'm deeply impressed by the new Fish "Feast of Consequences" 24-bit downloads (in advance of the physical CD). It sounds huge, clean, and detailed on my trusty Salks - I almost want to bathe in it!  :icon_lol:

Highly recommended!

http://fishheadsclub.com/2013/04/23/a-feast-of-consequences-update/

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #1258 on: 3 Oct 2013, 03:36 pm »
If you’re just starting listening to cello recordings I’d also mention:
JS Bach: Solo Suites
Pablo Casals (cello)
EMI 965 9212JS Bach: Solo Suites
Pablo Casals (cello)
EMI 965 9212

Dvořák: Cello Concerto
Emanuel Feuermann (cello); Berlin State Opera Orchestra/MichaelTaube
Pearl GemmCD9077

Shostakovich: Cello Concertos
Mstislav Rostropovich (cello); Moscow Philharmonic Orchestra/Gennady Rozhdestvensky
EMI 562 8282

And

Steven Isserlis - Haydn: Cello Concertos in C & D, Sinfonia Concertante by Chamber Orchestra of Europe, Joseph Haydn, Roger Norrington and Steven Isserlis (1998) – Import

Lately I’ve been listening to the Ensemble Explorations cds, which do a fine job resonating that warm ‘woody’ sound throughout the house:

Vivaldi: Cello Concertos, Ensemble Explorations (Artist, Orchestra), Roel Dieltiens (Artist, Conductor)

And speaking of the wonderful Ensemble Explorations, I also listening to:
Rossini: Une larme, Duo, Serenata, Sonatas by Ensemble Explorations, Roel Dieltiens and Gioacchino Rossini(2013) - Import

Sonatas & Partitas for Violin by J.S. Bach and Christine Busch (2013)

And then this from last week stack:

Vivaldi: Six Cello Concertos, Christopher Hogwood Christophe Coin, The Academy of Ancient Music

... And for those interested in Jim's suggestion of Chris Jones, you should give a listen to Greg Brown, if you don’t know the music.

And, one other mention not in the classical realm - and speaking of Greg Brown and cello - if you don’t know the excellent Anais Mitchell Hades Town, then drop what you’re doing now (unless you’re holding a child or listening to your wife) and get it .... seriously:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radio/B0034JIOWK/ref=pd_krex_listen_dp_img?ie=UTF8&refTagSuffix=dp_img

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #1259 on: 19 Oct 2013, 01:37 am »
Thanks guys for the past few recommendations!!

Alex