Sound bar and volume?

Folsom

Sound bar and volume?
« on: 14 Dec 2018, 08:44 pm »
I'm thinking my mother would love a sound bar for Christmas. But I have one question, does the volume on the TV change the volume on the sound bar?

If it takes a separate controller the odds she uses it go down to absolute 0. It will sit like a weight, and never, EVER EVER get turned on.

I know she won't be particular so I was just going to get a cheap one

Thoughts?

srb

Re: Sound bar and volume?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2018, 12:36 am »
IF your TV has analog audio out through RCA jacks or a 3.5mm stereo phone jack (somewhat rarer on today's TVs), those are generally variable outputs controlled by the TV's volume control.

If your only audio output from the TV is digital (Toslink Optical or Coaxial), those are most often fixed-level and the volume will need to be controlled either by the soundbar's remote control or a universal/programmable remote to control both.

Steve

Folsom

« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2018, 01:41 am »
Interesting. It has RCA out. How many TV’s don’t have an analog out?

I am surprised optical out doesn’t work. IMO, this day in age, it is ludicrous to even consider something that requires another remote. It’s about as reasonible as using asbestos for house insulation.

srb

« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2018, 01:53 am »
Interesting. It has RCA out. How many TV’s don’t have an analog out?
I would guess and say ..... more than half, maybe 75%?

IMO, this day in age, it is ludicrous to even consider something that requires another remote.

I don't really see the problem  ;)

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 2018, 04:32 am »
If your TV has HDMI ARC and the sound bar does, then you connect them via HDMI and the TV will control the sound.

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 2018, 05:23 am »
Ah, and that is common now?

RDavidson

« Reply #6 on: 15 Dec 2018, 05:32 am »
This thing is supposedly quite good and super cheap. Not sure if it has the hookup options you need, but worth looking into.
https://www.cnet.com/reviews/vizio-sb3621n-e8-review/

Folsom

« Reply #7 on: 15 Dec 2018, 05:34 am »
What I am afraid of is she will buy a new TV that only has HDMI output.

Folsom

« Reply #8 on: 15 Dec 2018, 05:44 am »
Just read about eARC.... Probably best to wait for that 1990’s tech to become available. Where the fuck is Steve Jobs when you need him? He would have literally pissed on all this garbage that’s dated AF.

GentleBender

« Reply #9 on: 15 Dec 2018, 01:28 pm »
https://smile.amazon.com/ZVOX-SB380-Aluminum-AccuVoice-Subwoofer/dp/B0744N8TNQ/ref=pd_day0_hl_23_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0744N8TNQ&pd_rd_r=e26bffad-006b-11e9-b62b-4defc69ef940&pd_rd_w=yeNl5&pd_rd_wg=jqhYX&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=NNCDWZGC3N4RG7RGB91R&psc=1&refRID=NNCDWZGC3N4RG7RGB91R

I purchased this after replacing a Sony SXRD with a TCL 55” 4K TV. We couldn’t stand the built-in TV speakers due to the tinny sound and constantly turning the volume up and down to hear anything or be blown away during action scenes. It doesn’t have HDMI input, but the optical input works great for our 2018 TV. The speaker pairs with the TV remote in a just a few steps and I haven’t had to touch the sound bar remote since. Just turn it up with the TV remote. Sound is good and we are happy with it.

You can mount it or just put it on a shelf then use the options to tell it how you are using it to customize the sound. I really like it and it is affordable.

bacobits1

« Reply #10 on: 15 Dec 2018, 07:57 pm »
Just ordered one of those from Amazon. Since cutting the cable going to HULU everything is all over the place on the volume. Really bad! It was before, but more so now. Netflix is really terrible too. We'll see how this works out. Was using a Sony soundbar with sub , worthless really. It seems it is not just the hearing impaired folks complaining about the TV sound. This should be taken care of in the TV electronics.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #11 on: 17 Dec 2018, 03:30 pm »
My daughter needs a sound bar for a TV that she bought for her bedroom.  I have been researching budget sound bars and just heard several at Costco.  The best sounding one was this new Yamaha ATS-1080. It was clear sounding, had good bass for a bar that does not use a subwoofer.  It normally sells for $179 but they have it for $119 but you must be a member.  Don't confuse it with the Yamaha 108.

https://www.costco.com/Yamaha-ATS-1080-35%22-2.1-Channel-Soundbar-with-Dual-Built-in-Subwoofers.product.100430280.html