wsturner

Speaker Cables
« on: 9 Jul 2010, 03:32 am »
After considering the below comment, I would like to kill this thread  :oops:
« Last Edit: 9 Jul 2010, 06:09 am by wsturner »

srb

Re: Speaker Cables
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jul 2010, 04:23 am »
You do realize that Virtue Audio sells their own line of speaker cables?
http://store.virtueaudio.com/category-s/31.htm

Steve

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2010, 02:10 am »
I don't mind the thread.  Z-man was making some cables although I don't know where to find them now... probably a copyright issue on "zcable" and maybe he has a new name for them. 

My personal opinion is that there are diminishing returns on cables although at a certain level of performance, everything matters.

What's our cable strategy?  We had very good guidance from a friend in the industry, built some great looking cables as cheaply as possible and offer them as a "no-brainer" add-on for customers.  Has that strategy worked out?  Not really.  However, this isn't a core business and I really don't care whether you buy ours (Jason will make custom lengths for you) or buy them elsewhere.  I welcome a discussion here, that's absolutely fine!

If I were choosing between a cap upgrade or a better PSU or a more expensive cable, I'd do the cables last.

dvenardos

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2010, 04:43 am »
+1. Granted, I am a copper is copper guy and general skeptic, but it is easy to hear the difference between speakers and amps, and (hearing the difference between the classic One and Two) input caps. However, when I get to the point that I can hear the difference between cables then I will be a cable guy. :D

If I were choosing between a cap upgrade or a better PSU or a more expensive cable, I'd do the cables last.

wsturner

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2010, 05:51 am »
I used to think that some things didn't really matter. Following are things that I, now, have strong opinions about:

1) Power Supply. Batteries are the way to go.
2) Caps. Caps make a big difference.
3) You don't have to spend a lot of money for good speaker cables.

zman turned me on to Anti-Cables http://www.anticables.com/. I paid about $70 for a set. Recently I hooked up my old cables, which cost about 10x what the anti-cables cost. I used anti-cables on the right channel, and the old cables on the left. The left sounded "muddy". I never realized this about the old cables - until I used both together.

Then I asked my wife, who is not really into music, to come into the room. She had no idea what I had done. I asked her to listen and tell me if she noticed anything. She said the right speaker sounded better.

Anyway, that is my opinion..FWIW.

al128

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jul 2010, 12:41 am »
I used anti-cables on the right channel, and the old cables on the left. The left sounded "muddy". I never realized this about the old cables - until I used both together.

Then I asked my wife, who is not really into music, to come into the room. She had no idea what I had done. I asked her to listen and tell me if she noticed anything. She said the right speaker sounded better.

Anyway, that is my opinion..FWIW.

hmmmmm ... in a good stereo setup you shouldnt hear a left speaker or right speaker ...  :scratch:

PSB Guy

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jul 2010, 01:22 am »

hmmmmm ... in a good stereo setup you shouldnt hear a left speaker or right speaker ...  :scratch:
But you would if you were using two different speaker cables...as he was to compare the difference between the two. In a good stereo setup you would normally use two identical cables, of course...

wsturner

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jul 2010, 04:02 am »

I was trying to compare two different types of speaker cable - at the same time. So I hooked up one type of cable to the left speaker, and another type of cable to the right speaker. Normally I get a wall of sound - when I listen in the appropriate area.

But when I did this test, the left and right channels were obvious. I would describe the anti-cable sound as clean and crisp - with great separation. Can't wait to inject a little Dodd Tube Buffer warmth :)

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jul 2010, 06:04 am »
 the source should be in mono.

al128

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jul 2010, 02:29 am »
the source should be in mono.

yeah- getting the SAME signal out of each speaker should make it so much easier to compare ... :thumb:

or how would you compare John Lennon's voice to George's guitar ... :scratch:

dba

• demand better audio
    • Demand Better Audio
« Reply #10 on: 15 Jul 2010, 10:38 am »
We've always used a critical listening technique for any cable assessment, spk or component.
Taking 2 Lefts from a source (not a generated mono signal unless available from the source media) into the same amplifier, 2 channels. 2x different speaker cables on test to the same type of speaker/enclosure (separate assessment of each driver thru x-over sometimes required). If a revolving table is not available, placing 2 speakers 180 degrees apart, then speakers should be placed directly in front of the listener so both of the assessors ears equally receive the signal (difficult when placing 2 speakers next to each other in front of a listener, try and minimise the compromise).

In many tests i've witnessed too many people look for improved musicality rather than noting comments about any and all effects/nuances. Really helps doing blind and double blind testing and then letting someone else tally the results and make the informed decision.

Personally, I'm a more and finer strands, overall cable flexibility and external EMC sheathing type of guy myself - each of those factors can make-up a good cable in terms of sound, quality of materials and ease of use/longevity IMO

wsturner

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jul 2010, 03:02 pm »
A little voice told me that I shouldn't start this thread. I should have listened :)

How about we get back to discussing the infinite details of capacitors and power supplies - and let this one die.