Case design questions; show me your back panel! :)

Carlman

« on: 27 Jan 2003, 09:28 pm »
I am in the process of making a diagram for the cutouts in my case so when it is built, every hole is perfectly cut by the case maker.

I've ordered 2 transformers but it will be 6 weeks or so before they arrive....  I've got some time to plan and build the case.  
Originally, I wanted to put everything on the back panel except for 2 LED's on the front.  I may still do this except I don't know (yet) what the heatsinks look like...  (I've asked Hugh for dimensions recently... dang that time difference! :) )

I would assume the back panel needs 1 or 2 large cutouts for the heat sinks... or are the heatsinks too large and would then need to be on the sides?

Also, I'm trying to order the ETA 3130 inlet module, a breaker/power switch and IEC in one... I'll need 2 RCA holes and 2 spots for the 2 pair of speaker posts.

Plan 1:
If you were to face the back panel, the IEC/switch would be on the far right, the speaker posts would be on the far left, and the RCA inputs would be in the middle.  (If the heatsinks are small and will fit on the back)

If the heatsinks are large and must be mounted on the sides...
Plan 2:
Place the IEC in the same spot as above.  Then, the RCA inputs and speaker outs would be spread out on the back away from the power supply.  

I've seen photos of one finished AKSA around here... the one with the red plexiglass.  I don't know if those are the heatsinks that come with the amp or not.   Also, I noticed the transformers were at the front of the amp.  Is that what most people do?  Is there a big difference than having them mounted near where the power enters the case?

I would like to keep the power separated as much as possible from the signal path.... I'm trying to be extra neat and plan well.  I want it to sound as good as it can and I want to be proud of it.  

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

-Carl

EchiDna

Re: Case design questions; show me your back panel! :)
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2003, 11:25 pm »
Quote from: Carlman

*snip*
I've seen photos of one finished AKSA around here... the one with the red plexiglass.  I don't know if those are the heatsinks that come with the amp or not.   Also, I noticed the transformers were at the front of the amp.  Is that what most people do?  Is there a big difference than having them mounted near where the power enters the case?

I would like to keep the power separated as much as possible from the signal path.... I'm trying to be extra neat and plan well.  I want it to sound as good as it can and I want to be proud of it.  

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

-Carl

Hi Carl, Are you buidling the 100 or the 55, because the 100 comes with 2 heat siks and the 55 with 1.

Also the AKSA you mentioned above is mine, and I mounted the IEC and swtich in the centre of the back and the RCA's with matching speaker outpits on the left and right to keep signal paths short and even further away from the mains....
and the other thing... my heatsinks were a special order upgrade ;-) the standard ones are half the height from memory. hey I live in the tropics you cannot 'sink too much !

Click on the link in my signature to see my AKSA. If you want I can take a pic of the back panel for you...

Carlman

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2003, 03:48 am »
Ah yes... It was yours!  Rocket sent me some emails of his amp and Hugh gave me some more insight as to what's included and such... So, I understand what I need to do much better now.

I'm getting the 100 with Nirvana.  It'll be the end of Feb before I can send the money, though.  

I would greatly appreciate a photo of the back panel when you have time to do so.

Thanks,
Carl

Carlman

More Internal questions... wiring
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2003, 09:32 pm »
I'm planning on using Audio Magic's Extreme for internal wiring.  I'd like the amp to last many years without maintenance.  

The Extreme is a double silver plated copper wire and is 12 gauge.  I have about 4 feet of it I could use.  I also use this as my speaker wire so, I know it's good wire.  I also like the idea of using silver inside the amp because it'll be there a long time, oxidizing... silver oxide is a good conductor and copper oxidation is not.  Is this a concern for anyone?

Thanks for your comments,
Carl

elektratig

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2003, 12:15 am »
As others have mentioned, the 55W has one heatsink, the 100W two.  I put my 55W heatsink on the rear and the 100W heatsinks on the sides.  You can see photos of both at http://photos.yahoo.com/elektratig in the AKSA folder.

Good luck!