Is Mechassault really as good as I hear?

bubba966

« on: 12 Jan 2003, 02:52 am »
As I don't have a noisebox yet I can't really try out Mechassault on my setup.

But I'm quite tempted to take 40 or 50 DVD's and trade them in for a 'box, Mechassault, Live!, and the component/digital cables. I think there's still a few of those package type deals leftover from crimmus that had the Controller S & 2 games with the 'box at a $200 price.

Should I :?:

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2003, 05:56 am »
Mechassault is an excellent game on the Xbox. It is different from the PC versions in that the controls are less complex and the view is 3rd person. But the action is great and the variety of Mechs and weapons makes it a 10 out of 10 IMHO.

Mechassault live is great - thousands of folks online playing different games.

Definitely worth it to get the Xbox just to play Mechassault or HALO. Plus with your HT setup, you won't believe you haven't done it sooner  :o

I have yet to try Splinter Cell but I heard it is excellent also.

bubba966

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2003, 06:21 am »
I'm interested in Mechassault as it reminds me of something similar to what the Wizards Of The Coast Gamecenter had while it was still open. Don't recall exactly what they called it. But it was a first person mech game that was played in a fully enclosed cockpit with all the controls you'd ever want along with voice so you could talk with your buddies you were playing with (or taunt the guys you were playing against :wink: ). Take the idea of the controller that comes with Steel Battalion and take it to the extreme in an enclosed cockpit. :mrgreen: Awesome experience, but it was rather spendy.

Yeah, I'd have to pick up Halo as well. If not just to get some practice in before Halo 2. At least Halo is only $20.

Might have to start looking at who around here takes DVD's in trade toward Xbox gear...

Woodsea

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2003, 12:39 pm »
MechAssault is a great game, I just need to pry some money from the wifes hands, when we get back from SanFran in two weeks.  Out of the rentals from BB, MechAssault is a great playing, visual, visceral and audio nirvana game.  It controls real easy, rather intuitive.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2003, 04:12 am »
Yeah, MechAssault is badass, one of the best games available for the 'Box, IMO.  Right up there near HALO (near, not equal!).

bubba966

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan 2003, 09:36 am »
So any of you guys interested in some DVD's at $10 a crack? O course I'll have to figure out exactly which discs I'd care to sell. And it'll have to be more than a couple to pick up a 'box and the rest of it.

It'd be better stuff than what I've currently got listed in the trading post...

gonefishin

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2003, 02:08 am »
didn't really care much for MechAssault...for some reason I just couldn't get into the game...dunno???  There a good number of people who do like it...alot!

bubba966

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2003, 07:01 am »
Well today I managed to "trade" 23 DVD's for a 'box & Mechassault. Hopefully I can find one of the Xbox's that they were selling at crimmus with the Controller S & 2 games.

'course as soon as I get the 'box out of the packaging I'll have to immediately void the warranty by covering the lid with Dynamat Xtreme. :mrgreen:

Gotta make it a stealth 'box instead of a noise 'box...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 28 Feb 2003, 12:16 am »
Don't know if you've got XBox live, B, but there's some new Mechs and terrain you can download now on the XBL.  I'm gonna try 'em out in little bit.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 28 Feb 2003, 12:17 am »
BTW, how did the sound damping work out for your 'Box?  I'm thinking still of trying it myself.

bubba966

« Reply #10 on: 28 Feb 2003, 12:39 am »
Haven't picked up Live yet. Picking up an Elite DV-38A a week & a half ago sucked all of my available $ up for the moment.

Damping the 'box with Dynamat Extreme on the lid & pulling the flimsy sheet metal off the lid helps. I've done it to 3 'boxes so far. But I've yet to touch mine yet.

I'm actually planning on putting my 'box in a case from an old Elite LD player I fried. I'll have enough room to build a little enclosure for the DVD & HD to further dampen them. And I should be able to put real output jacks on the back instead of that damn proprietary connector that's on there now.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 28 Feb 2003, 12:43 am »
Pretty ambitious project, but I guess if you're going to void the warrenty you may as well blow it to hell! :P

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #12 on: 2 Mar 2003, 04:17 am »
Quote from: bubba966
Haven't picked up Live yet. Picking up an Elite DV-38A a week & a half ago sucked all of my available $ up for the moment.

Damping the 'box with Dynamat Extreme on the lid & pulling the flimsy sheet metal off the lid helps. I've done it to 3 'boxes so far. But I've yet to touch mine yet.

I'm actually planning on putting my 'box in a case from an old Elite LD player I fried. I'll have enough room to build a little enclosure for the DVD & HD to further dampen them. And I should be able to put real output jacks on the back instead of that damn proprietary connector that's on there now.

It does sound like and ambitious project, but it will be cool if you do it all. I would love to see pictures of the project.

We should start a new topic for this project - kind of strsyed from Mechassault  :lol:

bob82274

« Reply #13 on: 2 Mar 2003, 05:20 am »
I'd love to see picks of this when its done.  This sounds great.