XBox with 2-channel audio system

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« on: 6 Jan 2003, 04:51 am »
The XBox has a proprietary connector out which can be used for composite, s-video, or component video kits, with RCA plugs for left and right channels. I bring these into one of my preamp inputs, since I don't have a preprocessor.

The sound through my nOrh system is a vast improvement over the stereo TV. The opening chant from HALO is deeply eerie, and the bass really works for the rumblings and explosions...the anguished cries of a dying Mech just before core breach.

I will be extending my audio cables with RCA connectors, since my 9.99 S-video cable set has the S-video and RCA cables bundled so all three connectors are limited to a diameter of 18 inches! Eventually I will get a better bundle or just modify the audio cables myself.

There is also a digital audio out to go along with the component video option, which is basically modelled after the audio for a DVD in a Home Theater system. I will leave it to someone who has that setup...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2003, 07:44 am »
I'm really pissed off at Microsoft about that stupid proprietary connector; for those who don't know this, the 'Box can output a digital signal, but only if you buy a special cable which converts the reg output to a toslink one.  In other words, you have to buy the digital out seperately!  Incredible!

The other thing that really is retarded is that you can't watch a movie on your box x/o the DVD Kit.  This kit includes a remote control.  Well, unlike the P2, where the controller will run the player as a remote, the 'Box won't even play a DVD without the remote!  And this costs extra, too.

Don't get me wrong, the 'Box is King, but it's just inexcusable that these capabilities weren't included in the basic model, as they were with the Playstation 2.

bubba966

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2003, 09:50 am »
Rob, please don't tell me you bother to run DVD's through your 'box...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2003, 06:59 pm »
No, I don't watch 'em on the 'Box; I was just thinking, though, that a lot of people bought into DVD because of the P2.  Hell, how many DVDs have you seen that have a sticker that says "Playstation 2 Compatible"?  I think that was a factor in the rapid growth of the DVD format.  Sony was brilliant market that capability.

You're right, it dsn't matter that much to me, but I just think MS dropped that ball on that one.  Anyway, I could see why a guy could want to use on for movies; eg bedroom system, kids room, etc.

bubba966

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2003, 07:34 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
I'm really pissed off at Microsoft about that stupid proprietary connector; for those who don't know this, the 'Box can output a digital signal, but only if you buy a special cable which converts the reg output to a toslink one.  In other words, you have to buy the digital out seperately!  Incredible!

Having opened up a couple of 'boxes to quiet the suckers down I can understand why they'd make the outputs in the manner they did. There's almost no room for anything additional in there. I see no real room for any more connections. Certainly not enough room for Component/S-Video/Composite/RF/Analog/Coax/Toslink (am I missing anything?) outputs.

And besides, selling the HD pack separately is one way they can actually make money on the damn thing. They can't possibly be selling them for any profit. There's just too much hardware in there.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2003, 03:09 am »
Have you heard the news?  The 'Box is getting a downsizing, a la the PSOne.  Pretty soon there'll be a smaller version, and of course processor wise all that stuff keeps getting smaller.

A simple solution to not having enough room would be to make it a couple cubic inches bigger!  The damn thing is already so huge what harm would a little bigger be!?

bubba966

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan 2003, 03:19 am »
Yeah, it coulda easily been a bit bigger. But that'd still add to their production costs as well as cutting out profits on selling the HD pack. It'd also cost more to ship if it was bigger.

So when's the 'box getting shrunk in the wash? :lol: I haven't read mags for some time so I'm a bit out of it.

I'd like to know how they're going to make it smaller after such a short time of being available. The PSone, NES 2, SNES 2, Genesis 2 & 3, etc. all came out quite some time after the originals. Maybe they'll stick laptop drives in instead of the full size suckers that are currently in there...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2003, 12:48 am »
I just recently saw that due to the cost of parts dropping, MS only loses about $200 per XBox!  HOLY COW!  You're right, Bubba, they sure aren't making money on the console.  Of course, the software is where they rake it in.

I'm really impressed, again, at the long range planning and patience MS has shown with the 'Box.  They realize it's a long race, and Sony pretty much owns if right now.  But they've made a huge committment of resources to the 'Box, and given its immense techical superiority over the P2 and ToyCube, you'd think it'd only be a matter of time.