Help on surround placement ideas

JoshK

« on: 29 Jan 2003, 06:52 pm »
Ok, so I am considering doing surround after having scrapped that idea a while ago.  I am certainly going to do the front three plus a sub but I am perplexed on what to do with the surrounds.

Where do you place the surrounds if the seating position (a sofa) must necessarily be place up against the back wall?  The side walls are very far way, unequal distance and inconvenient for use.  BTW, this is in an apartment I don't own and don't plan to live in more than 1-2 years so wiring the rears is going to be a problem in and off itself once placement is chosen.  Any suggestions on which speakers to use (dipole, monopole, etc) and where to place them would be greatly appreciated.

Josh

shokunin

« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2003, 09:01 am »
For situations when your couch is back against the wall, the use of dipole are typically preferred.  Since they have a null listening area, they tend to be less localized and more diffused.  Monopoles will likely be too directional when placement can't be optimized.  You can easily place dipoles on the rear wall, but using monopoles firing forward are the rear wall likely make the sound appear it's coming from the FRONT, which is what you don't want.

Not sure how high your ceilings are but sometimes having dipoles on/in the ceiling can help with placement, even if they are not installed "inceiling".   If you have to use monopoles, having them fire to the rear wall, up from the floor to the ceiling or behind the couch firing up can be effective.  Surround placement can be difficult, but it's something you'll have to experiment with.

shokunin

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2003, 09:04 am »
I've also seen/heard some ceiling hung dipoles, on some wire/chain which have worked well.  Aesthically not the best, but if they are SMALL dipoles, they may blend in well.  By ceiling hung, I mean they are sitting in free air, about 1' or more below the ceiling.  If I remember correctly, the VMPS dipoles are pretty small.

MaxCast

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2003, 12:48 pm »
Well, shokunin took all my ideas.  I think he covered all posible positions.  I think the best bet is to point some mono's.  Get a cheap pair of bookshelves and start angleing them to the corner, on the ground up, etc. and see how you like the sound.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2003, 02:17 am »
I would think a "hung" dipole would have a VERY high WAF! 8)

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2003, 03:38 pm »
Actually I have a hung monopole that has very high WAF  :o  but that is another story.  :lol:

MaxCast

« Reply #6 on: 1 Feb 2003, 04:34 pm »
:lol: Bwaaahahahahah!! :lol:

bubba966

« Reply #7 on: 10 Feb 2003, 04:06 am »
Monopole rears aren't the best for close range aplications. Actually I'm not so fond of Monopoles for rears at all. I much prefer Tripoles for rears.

I think your best bet would be for Dipoles mounted about 2' above ear level of your listening position.