SACD ripping using a PS3

tbabb

Re: SACD ripping using a PS3
« Reply #120 on: 27 Jan 2013, 08:12 pm »
I looked though the thread and didn't see any more mention of this. So my question is do I still need to find a 3.55 or lower FW Compatible PS3 or can I purchase a newer FW one and have it downgraded?

HOT OFF THE PRESSES!!!!!!!!

GREAT NEWS!!!!

I just chatted with Mr Wicked. And it seems there was some news this week in the PS3 scene that the keys are now available for 'lv0'. This means there will be firmware downgrades available in the very near future for all SACD-capable PS3s, so the firmware limit will be completely removed..Stay tuned for more details

Phil A

« Reply #121 on: 27 Jan 2013, 08:21 pm »
I looked though the thread and didn't see any more mention of this. So my question is do I still need to find a 3.55 or lower FW Compatible PS3 or can I purchase a newer FW one and have it downgraded?

See post no. 947 at this link by Ted B on Jan. 16 - http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/sacd-ripping-using-your-ps3-part-2-a-7495/index38.html

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #122 on: 27 Jan 2013, 11:28 pm »
Yes, 3.55 or below is still a hard and fast rule, period.  Believe me, I will post mltliple times, in multiple threads, once the LV0 keys are utilized in Mr Wickeds ripper, making any compatible player's firmware eligible for downgrading to 3.55.  Until then, the very-difficult-to-confirm-via-Ebay-selller 3.55 or less firmware rule is still in effect.  Sorry.

tbabb

« Reply #123 on: 29 Jan 2013, 06:39 pm »
Thank you for the clarification.   :thumb:

Yes, 3.55 or below is still a hard and fast rule, period.  Believe me, I will post mltliple times, in multiple threads, once the LV0 keys are utilized in Mr Wickeds ripper, making any compatible player's firmware eligible for downgrading to 3.55.  Until then, the very-difficult-to-confirm-via-Ebay-selller 3.55 or less firmware rule is still in effect.  Sorry.

Phil A

« Reply #124 on: 29 Jan 2013, 10:19 pm »
Thank you for the clarification.   :thumb:

I found my unit on Craigslist locally.  It did take me about 18 months.  Most of the time when I asked which model and firmware (told tjem where to find it in the system info)  I got no response and a few times I got a response that it had the most up-to-date firmware and I'd thank them but let them know the unit was useless.  I finally found someone who was selling a bunch of things since he was in the military and getting transferred.  I helped him sell at least one other thing (XBox).  Knew when I got the response that it was the real deal and rushed there to get it and it was priced more than fairly.

rhmmmm

« Reply #125 on: 7 Feb 2013, 12:14 pm »
Got myself up and running last night - thanks to ted_b and his guide!

Found a requisite PS3 on eBay and have ripped about 10 of my SACDs so far.  I also downloaded the latest sacd_extract 0.3.7 for Windows and have been using that.

It's working great, with the exception so far of one disc, "The Sound of Glory" by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir: http://www.amazon.com/The-Sound-Glory-Hybrid-SACD/dp/B00005QZLE

It crashes the sacd_extract program as soon as it starts.  All I see on the PS3 screen is that the client connects for an instant, then disconnects.  Any ideas on how to rip this disc?  Are there more un-rippable discs out there?  I'd actually really like to have this one as it's one of my fav's - great dynamic range and the Mormons do a bang-up job singing as always.

Phil A

« Reply #126 on: 7 Feb 2013, 01:23 pm »

Found a requisite PS3 on eBay and have ripped about 10 of my SACDs so far.  I also downloaded the latest sacd_extract 0.3.7 for Windows and have been using that.

It's working great, with the exception so far of one disc, "The Sound of Glory" by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir: http://www.amazon.com/The-Sound-Glory-Hybrid-SACD/dp/B00005QZLE

It crashes the sacd_extract program as soon as it starts.  All I see on the PS3 screen is that the client connects for an instant, then disconnects.  Any ideas on how to rip this disc?  Are there more un-rippable discs out there?  I'd actually really like to have this one as it's one of my fav's - great dynamic range and the Mormons do a bang-up job singing as always.

I had a couple mine would not do (I do mine on a thumb drive and it could be me but a bigger thumb drive seems to make the process a little quicker).  One was an Ann Sophie Mutter disc.  It would produce the two piece to join together (over 4GB) but would not give me anything playable.  I still have .36 on my PS3.  I had a bunch (15?) where it looks as if it is sitting there doing nothing but you just leave the disc in for long enough (you take it out too soon and you get a piece of the disc extracted vs. the whole one).  Again, it could be me but I believe the ones that appeared to be sitting and doing nothing are imports I got.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #127 on: 7 Feb 2013, 02:29 pm »

Have you tried just doing an ISO extract first (i.e not network'd to sacd_extract)?  Then try playing the ISO in J River or something just to see where the problem arises (i.e is it the ISO or the extraction).

On the Phil example, often when extraction works and then gives you garbage (like Phil A's Mutter disc) I would try extracting stereo dst dsf (meaning the stereo layer may have DST compression; I always use that bat anyway but some may not).

tim_f

« Reply #128 on: 9 Feb 2013, 09:35 pm »
Hi-
I just bought a PS3 for SACD ripping and need to update the firmware, install the keys, etc.  My searches for the firmware and other files have been less than satisfactory and I would prefer to get the most current files from someone who knows they work so that I don't turn the PS3 into a brick.  Regarding the SACD-ripper.pkg, I would also prefer to get a precompiled package as my compiling skills are quite rusty.  It also appears that ted_b has a guide which may be more helpful than the instructions available on the googlecode site.

I am currently transferring my CD library to an external hard disk as flac files to be played on an OPPO BDP-95.  I have not seen instructions on how to convert the DSD or DFF files to flac files.  Is this possible?

Any help would be appreciated.  I would like to send a note of thanks to those who developed the tools to make archiving SACDs possible.

Thanks.

good sound

« Reply #129 on: 18 Feb 2013, 04:52 pm »
ted_b, or mr_ wicked, any further news on when the fix for downgrading the software back to 3.55 will be available? If I'm not mistaken the first time I read about it was back in October of 2012. At that time it was announced as coming soon. I really don't mean to be impatient but that was almost four months ago. I know these things take time, but to me four months and still waiting is not equal to coming soon! Has there been some issues, possibly some bugs to work out that is causing the delay? I own a compatible PS3 bought new by me when it first came out, that despite regular use is still functioning perfectly, no YLOD. Like so many others however I never anticipated the ability to utilize the PS3 for SACD ripping and therefore have updated the operating system firmware to well above the 3.55 level. I own over 200 SACD's and I am dying to be able to back them up and also convert them into files suitable for transferring to my portable media device. Ironically about 15 months ago I sold a second PS3 which I had bought at the same time as the first one, which had not been updated beyond the 3.55 level. D'ohh!!

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #130 on: 18 Feb 2013, 05:13 pm »
ted_b, or mr_ wicked, any further news on when the fix for downgrading the software back to 3.55 will be available? If I'm not mistaken the first time I read about it was back in October of 2012. At that time it was announced as coming soon. I really don't mean to be impatient but that was almost four months ago. I know these things take time, but to me four months and still waiting is not equal to coming soon! Has there been some issues, possibly some bugs to work out that is causing the delay? I own a compatible PS3 bought new by me when it first came out, that despite regular use is still functioning perfectly, no YLOD. Like so many others however I never anticipated the ability to utilize the PS3 for SACD ripping and therefore have updated the operating system firmware to well above the 3.55 level. I own over 200 SACD's and I am dying to be able to back them up and also convert them into files suitable for transferring to my portable media device. Ironically about 15 months ago I sold a second PS3 which I had bought at the same time as the first one, which had not been updated beyond the 3.55 level. D'ohh!!

As I posted earlier, there has been no movement yet on the removal of the 3.55 restriction.  Mr Wicked believes it will happen this year, period.  It's not that he is taking his good ole time; it's the keys that aren't available.  I am not technical enough to explain anything further.  I have never told anyone to buy a 3.55+ machine, and continue in that vein.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #131 on: 18 Feb 2013, 11:09 pm »
If anyone is tired of waiting, I still offer a free SACD ripping service.

tim_f

« Reply #132 on: 3 Mar 2013, 08:44 pm »
Hi-
That's generous to offer to rip Scads for others.  I would like to give ripping my own a try but, as I posted earlier, would appreciate a bit of help from folks on the list with getting firmware and SACD-ripper files known to work.  This is only my second post so I don't know if people can send me PMs.  If the files are too large to send via e-mail, I would also be happy if someone could point me to websites where I can download the files.

Thanks.

mav52

« Reply #133 on: 5 Mar 2013, 06:07 pm »
Ted, I wonder if I can use my Sony xa5400es along with the ripper for SACD's

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #134 on: 5 Mar 2013, 06:10 pm »
The ripper is only for the four models of PS3, period.  Sorry.

Tim_f, I sent you an internal email with my guide and all the necessary links.  I've updated my guide to Version 3 and included the dropbox links right in the guide, to streamline.  The new guide will be on the DSD database later this week, hopefully by tonight.

hardfour

« Reply #135 on: 12 Mar 2013, 02:59 pm »
There's someone on EBay offering a service to downgrade PS3s to 3.55 firmware. Anyone familiar with him?

I've done some reading on the ps3hax forum, and it seems like it should be possible but it involves some special tools and soldering.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271021530085?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Ted, is the upcoming process you've mentioned simpler than this?

billmcc

« Reply #136 on: 15 Mar 2013, 02:46 am »
I'm curious if there is an eventual process to roll back the FW to 3.55 what are the newest PS3s that would work for ripping SACDs. I ask as I'm hoping that the latest PS3s that could be used would be more dependable than the older ones. I have no experience with PS3s or the greatest computer skills but I'm interested in ripping my SACD library to an HD if possible. Tyson was kind enough to offer me a options to do this and it is much appreciated. But I'd like to give it a try on my own if I can sharpen my computer skills :).

Bill

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #137 on: 15 Mar 2013, 02:54 am »
I wouldn't trust anyone to "rollback to 3.55" as it requires soldering, a hardware board swap, etc.  Yes, MR Wicked more than hinted that 2013 would be the year we would see an opening up of the restriction, but I am not holding my breath.

The ONLY four models that are even eligible (at 3.55 and below, of course) are NOT new PS3's, guys.  You need a model that plays SACDs first off.  :)  I have said that many times here (the most recent being like four posts up!). The latest produced second gen PS3 was early 2007 I think.  Here, again, are the models (in yellow):

billmcc

« Reply #138 on: 15 Mar 2013, 07:49 pm »
I wouldn't trust anyone to "rollback to 3.55" as it requires soldering, a hardware board swap, etc.  Yes, MR Wicked more than hinted that 2013 would be the year we would see an opening up of the restriction, but I am not holding my breath.

The ONLY four models that are even eligible (at 3.55 and below, of course) are NOT new PS3's, guys.  You need a model that plays SACDs first off.  :)  I have said that many times here (the most recent being like four posts up!). The latest produced second gen PS3 was early 2007 I think.  Here, again, are the models (in yellow):

Ted,

Thanks for your response :). I appreciate your patience with the repeated questions. I wish there was someone in the Boston, So. NH or So. ME area that could help a group of us that want to rip our SACDs. The reason being even with help of your tutorials we are all not very well versed with computers :duh:. Thanks again!

Bill

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #139 on: 15 Mar 2013, 08:42 pm »
Bill,
PM me and I'd be happy to partake in a conference call or something