LG WebOS vs. Roku

rif

• Not a cowboy
LG WebOS vs. Roku
« on: 10 May 2024, 04:57 am »
People seem to really like roku, so I'm considering the Ultra and Stick models. My TV is an LG C3 OLED, with a LG soundar. It has the latest WebOS and does 4K, of course, Dolby Vision, HDR+, Atmos.  I don't have cable and use streaming exclusively.

I know that searches on the Roku return results from all streaming services wich a HUGE positive.

Either Roku is inexpensive enough, Id really like to get the Ultra, but it requires a power brick.  I dont know how i would do that, since the tv and soundar take up the recessed duplex outlet on the wall.

So the Stick would be easier, since its powered by USB from the TV. But the remote isnt as slick, and doesn't have Atmos (which the soundbar has).

What would you do?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: LG WebOS vs. Roku
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2024, 05:47 am »
I have same OS on my new  TV but I have been using Roku for years. I don’t have much love for the web OS preferring Roku ultra, both the remote and the interface.
If it were me, I’d figure a way to add a receptacle. Either expand the existing to quad receptacle, or a power strip of some kind. That would depend on how your set up is configured.

newzooreview

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2024, 03:33 pm »
Roku has announced they will put video ads on the home screen: https://www.tomsguide.com/entertainment/streaming-devices/roku-confirms-video-ads-are-coming-to-the-home-screen-for-millions-what-you-need-to-know

Roky is also collects and shares more data than other options (yeah, "they all do it" but Roku is notoriously the worst of the lot): https://foundation.mozilla.org/en/privacynotincluded/roku-streaming-sticks/

An Apple TV box lets you search across services and does not inject ads into anything. It limits data collection to what is required by the service you are using. The data Apple collects is minimal.

fredgarvin

« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2024, 03:50 pm »
Brought to you by APPLE, the Privacy People,

newzooreview

« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2024, 04:43 pm »
Brought to you by APPLE

No, I have no affiliation.

Communists like to argue that capitalist democracy isn't perfect, as well. It's a perfect solution fallacy.

I understand that it's easy to get weary of the privacy invasion by things that are convenient and inexpensive. To each his own in navigating the challenges.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2024, 06:50 pm »
I'm not a real tv/home theater person. I was using a Roku with my LG OLED television but recently switched to ethernet straight into the television. I feel that the 4k programming (still less than there should be) looks better without the Roku and more importantly, everything else (so, most things) that's being (I assume) upscaled from 720 or 1080 looks better as well. I've gotten use to the LG interface which I agree isn't great but is functional. The Thursday night NFL games on Amazon broadcast in DCR(?) look great. It is so annoying they won't regulate the switch to all 4k.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2024, 01:21 am »
I ordered the stick, which doesn't need a power brick like the ultra.  It would be too difficult to get to the recessed power outlet without dismounting the TV from the wall.