DHTs in Vinnie Rossi products

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
Re: DHTs in Vinnie Rossi products
« Reply #20 on: 18 Sep 2020, 02:46 pm »
my VR thread was moved here....as well...I am going to see If I can open a LIO thread as my first one seems closed.

Good luck with that.  :banghead:

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #21 on: 18 Sep 2020, 02:47 pm »
Here's Vinnie's list of tested/approved tubes and settings:

Directly Heated Triode type Filament Voltage Setting
300B, 5V
2A3, 2.5V
45, 2.5V
PX4, 4V
T100 (KR Audio), 5V
SV811-10, 5V
101D / 205D, 4V
71A, 5V
50 (Elrog), 5V (one of Srajan's favorites for his L2 Preamp)

The LIO DHT PRE can run all the tubes above except for the KR Audio T100 (its base is too large in diameter to fit in the top cover hole).

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #22 on: 18 Sep 2020, 02:49 pm »
This is the link to the archived thread in which Vinnie explains tube socket maintenance:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=153300.0

Yomaha

« Reply #23 on: 18 Sep 2020, 05:16 pm »
Here's Vinnie's list of tested/approved tubes and settings:

Directly Heated Triode type Filament Voltage Setting
300B, 5V
2A3, 2.5V
45, 2.5V
PX4, 4V
T100 (KR Audio), 5V
SV811-10, 5V
101D / 205D, 4V
71A, 5V
50 (Elrog), 5V (one of Srajan's favorites for his L2 Preamp)

The LIO DHT PRE can run all the tubes above except for the KR Audio T100 (its base is too large in diameter to fit in the top cover hole).

Thanks for laying this out!  I've got the LIO DHT with TAK 300B's.  A glorious step up over the included stock tubes IMHO.  I've been curious about the Elrog 50's (mainly bc of Srajan's endorsement) and the PX4's.

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #24 on: 22 Sep 2020, 04:13 pm »
I don't know if anyone wants to comment on these, the 2A3 and 300b production of these Chinese tubes confuses me somewhat.  I have been told that the Shuguang 2A3 and 300b have been variable due to some unauthorized copies on the market.  Then, Psvane now advertises a Chinese brand on their website called Linlai that make 2A3s and 300bs. 

https://psvanetube.com/wordpress/store/products/category/tubes_by_linlai/

They ain't cheap $485 for the 2A3 and $795 for the 300b, so if anyone has taken the plunge please let me know.

Terence T.

« Reply #25 on: 23 Sep 2020, 08:35 am »
Can anyone find the thread in the archives that had to do with the original DHT tube tour?  I'm trying to compile that data into a single easy to find location (here:))

Hi Matthew,

Is this the thread you're looking for: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=144292.msg1542296. I hope this helps.

Great effort on your part in reviving the interests on VR DHT Tubes in this forum.  :banana piano:

Terence

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #26 on: 24 Sep 2020, 12:18 am »
ding ding ding we have a winner!  That was in fact the thread I was looking for.  The first tube tour was successful, but we decided it would be too expensive with some of the L2 tubes.  Important info nonetheless.  Thanks.

And since there are really no places on this forum for a "LIO Owners" or "L2 owners," we can hopefully discuss all things Vinnie Rossi here, including LIO and L2, L2iSE, etc.  DM me for more details or questions.  Thanks!

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #27 on: 24 Sep 2020, 04:36 pm »
I of course remember and still use the EH 2A3 and the Svetlanas from this aforementioned tube tour, but recall I didn't really dig the Genelex Gold Lion, and recall nothing about the Cunningham CX301A.  Does anyone use this tube?

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #28 on: 26 Sep 2020, 11:15 pm »

JakeJ

« Reply #30 on: 27 Sep 2020, 02:49 pm »
Here is the 845.

And here is the 45.

As you can see they are quite different.  in an SET circuit the 45 produces 2 - 2.5 Watts at the output and the 845 typically produces 22 - 25 Watts.  Anode voltage is a mere 275 on the 45 but 1250 on the 845.  Thankfully the sockets are different too as you wouldn't want to try a 45 in a 845 circuit.

Hope this helps.

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #31 on: 27 Sep 2020, 03:14 pm »
Here is the 845.

And here is the 45.

As you can see they are quite different.  in an SET circuit the 45 produces 2 - 2.5 Watts at the output and the 845 typically produces 22 - 25 Watts.  Anode voltage is a mere 275 on the 45 but 1250 on the 845.  Thankfully the sockets are different too as you wouldn't want to try a 45 in a 845 circuit.

Hope this helps.

Dude that website is a godsend.  Thanks for the links. :)

JakeJ

« Reply #32 on: 27 Sep 2020, 08:43 pm »
Your welcome, check out the stickies at the home page for the Tube-O-Phile Circle for lots more info.

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #33 on: 28 Sep 2020, 12:13 am »
I spoke with the reps at KR Audio, and on the website it initially looked like they no longer made the Riccardo Kron limited edition PX4, they provided me with the link:

https://shop.best300b.com/products/kr-p ... eries-pair

here are the links to the 300bs etc:

https://shop.best300b.com/collections/riccardo-kron-limited-series

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #34 on: 30 Sep 2020, 03:31 pm »
Thanks for laying this out!  I've got the LIO DHT with TAK 300B's.  A glorious step up over the included stock tubes IMHO.  I've been curious about the Elrog 50's (mainly bc of Srajan's endorsement) and the PX4's.

Is the Elrog 50 different from the Elrog 300b?  I see a tube on their site called "ER50" but didn't know if that is what Srajan was reviewing.

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #35 on: 3 Oct 2020, 02:40 am »
Does Nagra make their own 300b tubes or are they made for them?

https://www.nagraaudio.com/product/nagra-tube-kits/

jriggy

« Reply #36 on: 3 Oct 2020, 01:01 pm »
Hey Matthew,

Do you wanna trade/swap my T-100’s for your RK series PX4’s for a week or something? The T-100 was always stated as being a cleaner sounding PX4, with the same bass character. I’m curious how the two compare to each other... PM me again if ya want or if interested.

Jason

RPFrye

« Reply #37 on: 3 Oct 2020, 05:44 pm »
Hello, I'm Rick & new to the Circle. I have a LIO integrated amp. At Vinnie's recommendation, I've tried the Mullard CV2492 & the MiniWatt Dario E188CC. I find the Mullards too warm & the MiniWatt much better on the top end, more detail, more contrast & more punch. My favorite tube so far. Has anyone else had experience with tubes they would recommend for the LIO?

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #38 on: 4 Oct 2020, 02:25 am »
Hey Matthew,

Do you wanna trade/swap my T-100’s for your RK series PX4’s for a week or something? The T-100 was always stated as being a cleaner sounding PX4, with the same bass character. I’m curious how the two compare to each other... PM me again if ya want or if interested.

Jason

That might work.  I don't want to do it right this second b/c the PX4s are still burning in, but maybe in a month or two?  I'm game for that.

jriggy

« Reply #39 on: 4 Oct 2020, 01:09 pm »
That might work.  I don't want to do it right this second b/c the PX4s are still burning in, but maybe in a month or two?  I'm game for that.

Sounds good! We can chat when you're ready... Vinnie (and others) said 250 hours should be good. I did that on the T-100’s but will put more on them if preferred. I’m currently back to the TAK’s in the L2 pre and since redoing the room acoustics I’m no longer getting that upper-mid dip from the TAK’s I thought I was experiencing... Cool difference in presentation between these two.