Aging

BobM

Re: Aging
« Reply #20 on: 14 Jul 2010, 11:55 am »
Many years ago I made a theory: All healthy people live the same number of breaths (33 million), if you breathe faster (60 times per minute or more) you will live less years, if you breathe slowly (50-52 times per minute you will live more years, more than 80 years).
Do not fast...

I've heard a similar theory regarding orgasms.   :( I've always figured that this number was rather high and most people just don't reach the designated limit (especially after marriage) before they hit their breathing limit (cited above), so no worries there.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #21 on: 19 Jul 2010, 03:23 am »
I'm a health care professional. I've seen people live very clean and healthy lives who've gotten terminally I'll with things like cancer, heart disease, and so on.

I've seen people abuse their bodies with very little physical consequence.

I hate to say it, but I think a lot of it is in the genes.  Some people's bodies can fight off anything, while others can't. 

That brings me to my current way of thinking...
When it's your time, it's your time.  It's all about feeling better while you're here.   Before I started eating right and exercising, I felt like crap. Always tired and miserable.  While my diet isn't perfect, I eat a he'll of a lot better.  Working out hard for 30 minutes 4 times a week has boosted my energy and mood more than I can describe. 

It's not about how you'll die, it's about how you live.  Diet and exercise may or may not prolong your life (I'm pretty sure it will), but it'll sure as he'll make you feel younger.   

Stu Pitt

« Reply #22 on: 19 Jul 2010, 03:25 am »
Reminds me of a question asked to Ozzy Osbourne...

Q: To what do you attribute your longetivity?
A:  I don't know; by all accounts, I should be dead!

nonoise

• A republic, if you can keep it.
« Reply #23 on: 19 Jul 2010, 03:32 am »
There was a doctor at UCLA who discovered more than a casual link between low calorie intake with high quality carbs and protein and what he did was to fast 2 days a week and run on a daily basis. He went on to say that the heat generated from digestion did the same damage to our DNA as smoking and drinking and degraded DNA couldn't replicate itself properly.
Also, Gary Null is a big advocate of a healthy low calorie intake with lots of physical activity. He has had over a dozen shows on KCET and at his age (over 50) he regularly wins marathons.
Diet and exercise is the answer.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #24 on: 19 Jul 2010, 03:40 am »
It's all geographical. I used to work with a good ole boy who told me if he knew where he was gonna die, he'd never go there.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #25 on: 19 Jul 2010, 03:47 am »
Diet and exercise is the answer.

I think there's more to it than that. 

For example water, most people don't drink enough.  Coffee, tea, juice, beer, pop don't count.  Those things do more harm than good, but I won't get into that.

Sun light.  Without it, we'd all be dead.  I work nights and sleep during the day.  In the winter when the days are short, this has a profound effect on my health. 

There are other factors, all really quite simple, that contribute to good health. 

CSI

« Reply #26 on: 19 Jul 2010, 06:04 am »
I was never very athletic and could never get myself to stay on a work out program for the long haul. So ten years ago I started walking five miles a day. Every day if I can possibly work it in. It has made all the difference. Just get a good pair of shoes (I like New Balance) and do it!
As for the genes, most of my doctors over the years agree with this. Which is why I can eat almost anything and still turn in great cholesterol numbers but have to really watch it to control blood pressure and diabetes symptoms. We're all different.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #27 on: 19 Jul 2010, 11:14 am »
Iam sure one secret for long life is good quality natural food:
> no preservatives on your food,
> no pesticides for insects on your food,
> eat fresh food, even meat, any canned food is dead, not good for human being,
> Very Important: Drink only 3 things water, milk and fruit juice made on time(no ready boxed fruit juices)
Do like the Mormons never eat/drink caffeine (coffee, tea, chocolate etc), never drink Coke, Pepsi etc or any drink sodas like these, IF you are woman take any drink soda of any type is a stamp for cellulite on legs.

decal

« Reply #28 on: 19 Jul 2010, 12:09 pm »
Your days are numbered the second you are born.You can do nothing to stop the aging process.We all age differently,some better than others.Don't worry about it.Live your life to the fullest.Make yourself happy.Oh yeah,drink lots of beer!! :beer:

twitch54

« Reply #29 on: 19 Jul 2010, 01:11 pm »
Okay Bob...I can see how you can disagree with this...but, 'disgusted'?

Exactly John.....the guy needs to get a life.................well, at least a dog !!!

Scottdazzle

« Reply #30 on: 19 Jul 2010, 09:53 pm »
Iam sure one secret for long life is good quality natural food:
> no preservatives on your food,
> no pesticides for insects on your food,
> eat fresh food, even meat, any canned food is dead, not good for human being,
> Very Important: Drink only 3 things water, milk and fruit juice made on time(no ready boxed fruit juices)
Do like the Mormons never eat/drink caffeine (coffee, tea, chocolate etc), never drink Coke, Pepsi etc or any drink sodas like these, IF you are woman take any drink soda of any type is a stamp for cellulite on legs.

Water and milk and fresh juice only?!  Just kill me now.  Coffee, beer, and wine for me. Chocolate, too, preferably dark.  I'd rather enjoy a shorter life than deny myself the simple pleasures. 

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #31 on: 19 Jul 2010, 10:01 pm »

Water and milk and fresh juice only?!  Just kill me now.  Coffee, beer, and wine for me. Chocolate, too, preferably dark.  I'd rather enjoy a shorter life than deny myself the simple pleasures. 

Yep.

I cut way back on drinking soda, hardly drink it anymore, but if I had to give up coffee, scotch and (good) beer...

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #32 on: 19 Jul 2010, 10:03 pm »
Many years ago I made a theory: All healthy people live the same number of breaths (33 million), if you breathe faster (60 times per minute or more) you will live less years, if you breathe slowly (50-52 times per minute you will live more years, more than 80 years).
Do not fast...

Athletes would be screwed.

Bigfish

« Reply #33 on: 19 Jul 2010, 10:30 pm »
Since I am old at 58 I honestly believe aging sux but it is better than the alternative!  Everyone has their own thoughts but I believe when it your time, it is your time.  Enjoy the journey and make the most of the time we have!

Ken

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #34 on: 19 Jul 2010, 11:30 pm »
A few rules I follow (as a heart attack survivor):

Get sunlight (and supplement with Vitamin D)
Eat fish (and supplement with fish oil)
Exercise regularly (walking, strength/resistance, and sprint/burst)
Eliminate Wheat completely (Bread, cereal, Bagels, Pasta, etc)
Minimize Sugars and Starches
Drink Alcohol in Moderation (same with Coffee or Tea)
Don't Smoke (and quit now if you do)

These few rules will do more to keep you alive than almost anything else, from a cardiac health perspective.  And since some type of cardiac or vascular event is going to kill almost half the population (statistically speaking), doing your best to minimize these risk factors will have a direct impact on longevity (of course, if you avoid heart disease, cancer will probably get you anyway - after all, we will all die of "something").

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #35 on: 19 Jul 2010, 11:43 pm »
I'm in the camp that our hobbies and our pets keep us young.
One of my uncles showed up on a new motorcycle when he was in his 80s and that's an inspiration to us all.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #36 on: 22 Jul 2010, 10:43 am »
The gene pool hasn't improved that much in the last 400 hundred years.  Healthcare, hygiene, lifestyle and political stability all play an important role.

Really though, if you want to live a long time just move to Canada  :green:...

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #37 on: 22 Jul 2010, 02:17 pm »

My second wife was a medical, one day I ask her some stuff about caffeine, two weeks latter I receive over 20 pages of abstracts in research, all saying caffeine is bad and work as a drug.
It made the blood alcaline and this goes to the entire body, it is a poison just like tobacco.

nonoise

• A republic, if you can keep it.
« Reply #38 on: 22 Jul 2010, 03:24 pm »
I think there's more to it than that. 

For example water, most people don't drink enough.  Coffee, tea, juice, beer, pop don't count.  Those things do more harm than good, but I won't get into that.

What you mentioned is an just another facet of diet. Diet is simply what you eat and drink, as in diet staple (one's regular, everyday consumption), not some form of discipline. And I agree wholeheartedly with your statement.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #39 on: 23 Jul 2010, 11:45 pm »
A few rules I follow (as a heart attack survivor):

Get sunlight (and supplement with Vitamin D)
Eat fish (and supplement with fish oil)
Exercise regularly (walking, strength/resistance, and sprint/burst)
Eliminate Wheat completely (Bread, cereal, Bagels, Pasta, etc)
Minimize Sugars and Starches
Drink Alcohol in Moderation (same with Coffee or Tea)
Don't Smoke (and quit now if you do)

These few rules will do more to keep you alive than almost anything else, from a cardiac health perspective.  And since some type of cardiac or vascular event is going to kill almost half the population (statistically speaking), doing your best to minimize these risk factors will have a direct impact on longevity (of course, if you avoid heart disease, cancer will probably get you anyway - after all, we will all die of "something").

Tyson, what is it about wheat that is bad? Worse than other grains?