Drinking will shorten your life

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
Drinking will shorten your life
« on: 14 Apr 2018, 02:08 pm »
Thank goodness I’m older than a 40 year old ...  :thumb:

“Drinking will shorten your life, according to a study that suggests every glass of wine or pint of beer over the daily recommended limit will cut half an hour from the expected lifespan of a 40-year-old.”

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/apr/12/one-extra-glass-of-wine-will-shorten-your-life-by-30-minutes?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Drinking will shorten your life
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2018, 03:47 pm »
 :lol: I decided that since I don’t know how long I’ll live anyway, my drinking more than the recommended amount won’t cause me to miss those extra minutes.

Additionally, just tonight I decided to go ahead and spend a bit more on myself (and my loved ones) since the world as I know it will end when I die. Yes. I’ll make certain my wife will have enough because I anticipate dying first.

I’m not being morbid.

mick wolfe

« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2018, 04:12 pm »
WAY too late for me to worry about this now. Not that I ever worried about it anyway.

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2018, 05:46 pm »
That is a complicated issue. Clearly some people were destined to live to be 250 years old, but then found alcohol. And even as someone who doesn't drink hardly ever, even I know every drink past the daily alotted amount extends the pleasure for hours. So if you think of it like that you are only trading a mere half an hour for hours of pleasure.  :icon_twisted:

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2018, 06:04 pm »
I have a curse/gift that I don't metabolize alcohol well, my body gets rid of it incredibly quickly leaving me with an instant hangover. 

It also interferes with sleep, makes people seem slow and stupid although they think the opposite, makes people drive dangerously and they aren't even aware of it, etc. It's one of those things that is probably best off if it disappeared from the face of the Earth.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2018, 06:12 pm »
Good thing I got all my drinking in before 40!  ☠️

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #6 on: 14 Apr 2018, 06:20 pm »
Drinking is just one of the things that will kill you, including worrying about what will kill you! :thumb:

Gene

deadhead

« Reply #7 on: 14 Apr 2018, 06:48 pm »
This thread is driving me to drink.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #8 on: 14 Apr 2018, 07:10 pm »
There was a study about two decades ago where it was discovered by the French that a glass of red wine every day did mitigate effects of a real shitty diet by prolonging your life when you would otherwise be dead!

Cheers!  :wine:

WGH

« Reply #9 on: 14 Apr 2018, 08:13 pm »

It also interferes with sleep, makes people seem slow and stupid although they think the opposite, makes people drive dangerously and they aren't even aware of it, etc. It's one of those things that is probably best off if it disappeared from the face of the Earth.

Funny, I think the same thing about marijuana and this is coming from a guy who doesn't even remember 1968 - 1980.

I now do intensive cardio 3 times a week on the Stairmaster (5 one minute intervals at 100 steps per minute plus a cool down at 80 steps per minute) and a beer or two (never more) the night before can actually increase my endurance and performance, it certainly doesn't hurt. And I have also done the opposite, not drinking and discovered no positive effects.

Not drinking doesn't make you live longer, it just feels that way.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #10 on: 14 Apr 2018, 08:28 pm »
I think I’m starting to realize I have an intolerance to alcohol. Before I used to think it was just my seasonal allergies kicking in when having a few beers because of the barley or hops but recently have changed my diet to a point that I can detect pretty quickly what may cause my sinus’s to flare up. Drinking just a few sips of red wine and I can tell I’m getting stuffed up and if I continue I get a sinus headache.   :|

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #11 on: 14 Apr 2018, 08:57 pm »
Today all is censored but in the old days the doctors had a table of Km for the cigars, every Km of cigars that the addict smoked corresponds to 1 year less of life.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #12 on: 14 Apr 2018, 09:20 pm »
I just finished crunching the numbers and factoring in the average number of drinks
I’ve had over my allowed 5 per week since turning 40  and then totaling the number of 30 minute losses per drink and I’m shocked to discover that I died 5 years ago. Sniff, I’ll miss not having me around.

What the heck,
Cheers.

FullRangeMan, you can have my Cary 280SA and the SLP98p pre. Guess I won’t need them anymore. Sniff.

Sent from my iPad

Sent from my iPad

guest61169

« Reply #13 on: 14 Apr 2018, 09:37 pm »
It's not how long it is, it's how good it is.  If it kills you, at least you're dying happy.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #14 on: 14 Apr 2018, 10:05 pm »
FullRangeMan, you can have my Cary 280SA and the SLP98p pre. Guess I won’t need them anymore. Sniff.
Thanks man you most kind.
My electric meter will:

Roninaudio

• I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
« Reply #15 on: 14 Apr 2018, 10:30 pm »
Ok, I'll take it.  I was hoping for balanced but it may be a cool step from my SL-100 :)

Phil A

« Reply #16 on: 14 Apr 2018, 11:03 pm »
Everyone has different tolerances.  Some people smoke (cigarettes) and live to a ripe old age.  I had one friend who drank a decent amount but not as much as others and he is no longer with us.  I have another who has cirrhosis right now (went thru a bad divorce about 7 years back and drank more but still not as much as some people) and probably has around 18 months left, give or take.  It's the same with medications.  Some blood pressure or blood sugar meds may work well for some but not as well for others. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #17 on: 14 Apr 2018, 11:54 pm »
It (alcohol) also interferes with sleep, makes people seem slow and stupid although they think the opposite, makes people drive dangerously and they aren't even aware of it, etc. It's one of those things that is probably best off if it disappeared from the face of the Earth.

Funny, I think the same thing about marijuana...

I use marijuana to help me sleep, I have friend who uses it to alleviate the symptoms of Parkinson’s. As for slow and stupid, I play a much better game of chess UTI. As for driving, people UTI are far less prone to road rage. Pot and alcohol are as different as east and west.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #18 on: 15 Apr 2018, 12:42 am »
If so, it's a matter of quality versus quantity of life.

OzarkTom

« Reply #19 on: 15 Apr 2018, 01:13 am »
My grandma lived to 95. She drank, smoked cigarettes, and dipped snuff most of her life. I have not done any of that, so 75 is probably my limit.