New Tinnitus therapy

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
New Tinnitus therapy
« on: 7 Jan 2018, 11:41 pm »
http://www.futurity.org/tinnitus-device-1645732/

"The approach, called targeted bimodal auditory-somatosensory stimulation, involves two senses. The device plays a sound into the ears, alternating it with precisely timed, mild electrical pulses delivered to the cheek or neck.
This sets off a process called stimulus-timing dependent plasticity, or STDP, which researchers first explored in animals, which leads to long-term changes in the rate at which the nerves fire. The approach aims to reset the activity of fusiform cells, which normally help our brains receive and process both sounds and sensations such as touch or vibration—what scientists call somatosensory inputs."

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: New Tinnitus therapy
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2018, 12:56 am »
It's high time I put Michigan on my "must visit" list.

Thanks!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2018, 01:04 am »
Can't come soon enough. My symptoms have been doubling down in the last year to the point where my ability to hear isn't what it use to be.

orthobiz

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2018, 01:15 am »
https://www.sciencefriday.com/segments/a-temporary-relief-for-tinnitus-sufferers/

I'll bet this is the same thing, featured on NPR this past week...

Paul

jonbee

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2018, 04:32 am »
Let's hope. Sign me up!

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 8 Jan 2018, 02:13 pm »
I just sent the U of M writer a volunteer plea! Living in Michigan has a perk!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2018, 06:07 am »
One more, Eric Clapton informed he is being deaf and tinnitus, too bad:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5251879/Eric-Clapton-72-admits-hes-going-deaf-tinnitus.html

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2018, 01:26 pm »
The Clapton story is terribly sad. Ed, I truly hope you’re able to get in the MI trial group. I was told my tinnitus would worsen but not to the point of deafness. The audiologist said that I’ll just get use to it over time with it gradually becoming ignorable background noise.

I can suggest ways to dampen it a bit, none of them good:
Don’t drink sodas, especially coke.
Cut way back on coffee. No more than 1 cup of coffee a day.
Cut out garlic.
Cut out spicy foods.
If you can, with your doctor’s approval, stop taking Rx drugs for a few days. Certain Rx drugs make my tinnitus flare up. The same pertains to over the counter drugs, like aspirin and antihistamines.
Take Rx drugs at night before bed instead of in the morning.
Don’t listen to headphones ... seriously.
Don’t turn the amplifier up to 11. Try 5, seriously. I have yet to visit any audiophile who I didn’t think played their system way too loudly. Just because your system can reproduce a concert environment doesn’t mean you should.
And finally, stop staring at Jennifer Lawrence so much, seriously.
Good luck,
Mr. Killjoy

jriggy

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jan 2018, 04:39 pm »
I just sent the U of M writer a volunteer plea! Living in Michigan has a perk!

Indiana here, so close enough... you will get a somewhat boilerplate response for the study starting some time in the Fall...

The Clapton story is terribly sad. Ed, I truly hope you’re able to get in the MI trial group. I was told my tinnitus would worsen but not to the point of deafness. The audiologist said that I’ll just get use to it over time with it gradually becoming ignorable background noise.

Cut out garlic.
Cut out spicy foods.
If you can, with your doctor’s approval, stop taking Rx drugs for a few days. Certain Rx drugs make my tinnitus flare up. The same pertains to over the counter drugs, like aspirin and antihistamines.
Don’t turn the amplifier up to 11. Try 5, seriously. I have yet to visit any audiophile who I didn’t think played their system way too loudly. Just because your system can reproduce a concert environment doesn’t mean you should.
And finally, stop staring at Jennifer Lawrence so much, seriously.
Good luck,
Mr. Killjoy

Garlic is an anti inflammatory and does not spike my T. Check out lists of anti inflammatory foods, they’re good for keeping T at bay.
And IME it is not ‘spicy’ foods, it’s sodium level. I find hot sauces with very low sodium to be just fine. But yes, sugar especially in liquid form spikes fast. Unfortunatly, no caffeine at all. Well, chunks of good quality dark chocolate are my go-to and I ain’t stoping that! But of course byebye alcohol. Funny how much better I feel otherwise since adjusting diet for T.

2bigears

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jan 2018, 04:54 pm »
 :)  :D so no coffee or booze actually helps ?  Loud music is a no brainer you would think.  Need a stereo with good low res for sure.  Hummmm :D    I eat garlic by truck load. And love hot sauce.   :D

LesterSleepsIn

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jan 2018, 07:00 pm »
Indiana here, so close enough... you will get a somewhat boilerplate response for the study starting some time in the Fall...

Garlic is an anti inflammatory and does not spike my T. Check out lists of anti inflammatory foods, they’re good for keeping T at bay.
And IME it is not ‘spicy’ foods, it’s sodium level. I find hot sauces with very low sodium to be just fine. But yes, sugar especially in liquid form spikes fast. Unfortunatly, no caffeine at all. Well, chunks of good quality dark chocolate are my go-to and I ain’t stoping that! But of course byebye alcohol. Funny how much better I feel otherwise since adjusting diet for T.

Yup, I use garlic generously as well but when I cut it out completely I do notice a difference. I always go back though. I’m cutting back on alchohol now and striving to have just one glass per weekend night but that will be difficult. Damn it.

If you listen to earphones stop for a week or so and see if that doesn’t make a difference.

The Clapton article made it seem that the T was causing his deafness. I bet he’d be going deaf even if he didn’t have T. And quite frankly if the medical profession can’t cure Clapton, what chance is there for the rest of us?

More killjoy news, the audiologist told me that even deaf people will still ‘hear’ tinnitus. Oi!

smargo

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jan 2018, 07:50 pm »

Cut out garlic.
Cut out spicy foods.

Alternatively - you could cut out everything - even breathing - and when your dead - you wont have tinnitus - guaranteed!

jhm731

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jan 2018, 08:01 pm »
When I got this on my phone this morning, my tinnitus was instantly cured:

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #13 on: 13 Jan 2018, 08:18 pm »
And this alert resulted in any damage to Hawaii?

mav52

« Reply #14 on: 13 Jan 2018, 08:24 pm »
When I got this on my phone this morning, my tinnitus was instantly cured:

House Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, D-Hawaii, tweeted in regard to the alert: “HAWAII – THIS IS A FALSE ALARM. THERE IS NO INCOMING MISSILE TO HAWAII. I HAVE CONFIRMED WITH OFFICIALS THERE IS NO INCOMING MISSILE.”

but what a mistake by someone to send out a "fake alarm"

2bigears

« Reply #15 on: 13 Jan 2018, 10:34 pm »
 :D not going to cut out shit. I love my coffee and booze .  And music.  Sometimes loud.  Dam ! 
         Even deaf peeps still hear the ring ?   Good lord god almighty.    :D
      Got my ring from loud skillsaw use as a carpenter .  It does go away after 6 vodka snorts.   8)

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 13 Jan 2018, 10:48 pm »

jhm731

« Reply #17 on: 13 Jan 2018, 11:32 pm »

LesterSleepsIn

« Reply #18 on: 13 Jan 2018, 11:32 pm »

I’m having my Saturday night whiskey now. Then lasagna with plenty of garlic with a sriracha kick. Then a glass of a nice cabernet.

Watta world.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 13 Jan 2018, 11:40 pm »
House Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, D-Hawaii, tweeted in regard to the alert: “HAWAII – THIS IS A FALSE ALARM. THERE IS NO INCOMING MISSILE TO HAWAII. I HAVE CONFIRMED WITH OFFICIALS THERE IS NO INCOMING MISSILE.”

This msg alarm was manual or automatic?