"Evolve" a radical alternative bicycle saddle

Russell Dawkins

"Evolve" a radical alternative bicycle saddle
« on: 11 May 2012, 09:27 pm »
I stumbled upon this a few weeks ago and thought some of you (saddle-challenged, like me) might be interested.

It looks bizarre but I can imagine it working. A friend is buying one to use on a long ride in hilly Nova Scotia and Newfoundland in a couple of weeks, so I'll get feedback.

I have never been perfectly comfortable on any saddle I've owned, so if this works as the endorser in the link suggests, I might overlook the insane appearance and get one myself. They are $159 at Amazon.

very clear video of principle: http://www.unifiedsport.com/evolve-saddle-video.html

endorser: http://www.unifiedsport.com/reviews.html

persisting1

Re: "Evolve" a radical alternative bicycle saddle
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2012, 10:13 pm »
Looks very interesting. Nice find.

Forwarded it to a few friends.

decal

« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2012, 10:16 pm »
That's a seat....

This is a saddle....

bunnyma357

« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2012, 10:21 pm »
This looks like an interesting concept.

After trying a lot of different saddles, I'm a Brooks convert.  Sometimes old tech works the best, once it's broken in, it just "fits" - no pressure points at all.

Jim C

jackman

« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2012, 11:53 pm »
Great thread!  Proper fit on your bike is the most important component of enjoyable cycling.  I've tried a few different saddles over the years, including several models frome Selle Italia, terry, Specialized and Fizik. 

Never tried anything radical like the one in the original post but I have several reservations about trying this type of saddle. For starters, my Fizik Arione is very comfortable and I can ride for hours without pain, discomfort or numbness.  Secondly, I would caution against a saddle without a nose section. The nose will keep your butt from sliding off if you hit a bump. The nose gives you stability.

If you are having pain or discomfort, you may need a saddle that fits you better...but maybe not.  I had pain and discomfort in he saddle region (ahem...) but it was caused by an improper fit. My seat post was too high.  it was less than one CM but enough to mess me up.  It was actually a couple fit related problems but it wasn't my saddle.

You case may be different but make sure you are correcting the real problem.  It may be fit related.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2012, 11:59 pm »
It looks like a antenna, I can foresee it will no decrease prostatic damage.

Folsom

« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2012, 11:17 pm »
Probably the worst saddle I've ever seen.

You'd be sliding off it forwards the entire time. Chaffing? Come on those things move with your legs, and provide more resistance; how can that be good? Furthermore the goal of a saddle is to support you tail bones only, the rest is just sort of support, not weight bearing.

This saddle is HIGHER in the middle.... The preference should be for lower if not with a cut out to relieve the pressure on the soft tissue between legs and sit bones.

"Snake oil" just like any kind of saddle offering cushion. The best saddles are the correct width, little padding, and a cut-out if you need it. Many people ride too-narrow saddles.

Lay on your back, put your feet up past your ears, and measure your sit bones sometime. You might find the average sporty saddle at 135mm across isn't no where near the size you want. You may need a 150-170mm across to get the weight on your sit bones.

Also the type of clothing you wear largely determines pressure in certain areas, may try lose clothes to check a saddle in case your biking shorts are too constrictive or something and are the true source of a problem.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #7 on: 1 Jun 2012, 12:19 am »
Looks like something that came off the creature in Alien.  :o

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jun 2012, 12:20 am »
That's a seat....

This is a saddle....

Nope. That's a saddle - so is this:

This is a seat!

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jun 2012, 12:22 am »
Probably the worst saddle I've ever seen.

You'd be sliding off it forwards the entire time. Chaffing? Come on those things move with your legs, and provide more resistance; how can that be good? Furthermore the goal of a saddle is to support you tail bones only, the rest is just sort of support, not weight bearing.

This saddle is HIGHER in the middle.... The preference should be for lower if not with a cut out to relieve the pressure on the soft tissue between legs and sit bones.

"Snake oil" just like any kind of saddle offering cushion. The best saddles are the correct width, little padding, and a cut-out if you need it. Many people ride too-narrow saddles.

Lay on your back, put your feet up past your ears, and measure your sit bones sometime. You might find the average sporty saddle at 135mm across isn't no where near the size you want. You may need a 150-170mm across to get the weight on your sit bones.

Also the type of clothing you wear largely determines pressure in certain areas, may try lose clothes to check a saddle in case your biking shorts are too constrictive or something and are the true source of a problem.
I know it looks weird, but your opinions don't count for much until you've tried it. Notice it comes with 100% refund if not satisfied. The looks are the biggest hurdle, I think.

jackman

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jun 2012, 12:48 am »
I like a nose on my saddle. The previous guy who spoke about proper fit and your sit bones was on the money.  Hard saddles take a little getting used to but they support your sit bones and keep blood flowing to important places.  A sore butt is something I experience for the first few weeks every year but I would never stand for numbness or pain.  Padding just gets jammed up into places where it cuts off circulation.  No padding or little padding is the way to go for long distance cyclists. 

A nose helps keep you on the bike around turns. Very important IMO.