Broken Ribs

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Broken Ribs
« on: 5 Nov 2011, 03:18 am »
Okay, sneezing is just about the worst thing ever in the history of mankind. :duh:    How long does this last?

Eight days in and each passing day is worse than the prior.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Re: Broken Ribs
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2011, 04:11 am »
Hey, everybody!  Let's start sending him our most raucous jokes!     :icon_twisted: :lol:

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2011, 04:21 am »
Jerry- I have had a bunch of broken ribs and 8 days in has got to be maybe 1/2 way through the rough part. Busted ribs suck and there is no way anybody can tell me and probably you also that its not that bad...you gotta just sit, chill, tune out for a few days!!!!! The only way is to give it time.  :thumb: Hang in!!

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2011, 06:07 am »
Hey, everybody!  Let's start sending him our most raucous jokes!     :icon_twisted: :lol:

That's funny.  :lol:     But not.  :duh:

Damn, this hurts!

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #4 on: 5 Nov 2011, 06:20 am »
Jerry- I have had a bunch of broken ribs and 8 days in has got to be maybe 1/2 way through the rough part. Busted ribs suck and there is no way anybody can tell me and probably you also that its not that bad...you gotta just sit, chill, tune out for a few days!!!!! The only way is to give it time.  :thumb: Hang in!!

Thanks for ther feedback, Ed. I know I'm being a pansy, comparitively speaking, but it just keeps getting worse.

How's the walking going?

Thanks again, Man,

Jerry

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 5 Nov 2011, 07:58 am »
I walk some everyday, not great but I'm getting better as I go....they want to operate and install a nerve stimulator which I am resisting.
When it comes to ribs-there are no pansies-they hurt, ALOT!!!!
 LOL  hehehehe :thumb: :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 5 Nov 2011, 10:45 am »
That sucks Jerry, and sadly there's no quick or easy fix. Depends on your recouperative powers, but I seem to remember it took a good month before it stopped hurting to sneeze or cough. And that was almost 30 years ago, don't even want to think how long it would take now. As Ed says, all you can do is kick back relax, and don't make any quick moves. Que up the tunes, grin & bear it. Also as he notes, ain't no pansies when it comes to cracked, they hurt like heck.

Here's wishing a speedy mend.  :thumb:   JD

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #7 on: 5 Nov 2011, 01:07 pm »
Broken ribs are nothing to sneeze at...  :duh: (sorry - couldn't resist).

Seriously, just hang in there a few more days.  The first 2 weeks are by far the worst.

Bryan

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #8 on: 5 Nov 2011, 01:32 pm »
If you are at the point where you can roll over in bed without too much discomfort, you are starting to turn the corner.  At that point, you have another 3 weeks or so before the level of discomfort is more managable.   Just went through this.
Hibuck.....

Sonny

« Reply #9 on: 5 Nov 2011, 04:10 pm »
This has happened to me three times...one from pneumonia, two from playing soccer, and man does it hurts!  Coughing, sneezing sitting up from a lying position...and all that jazz!  It gets better, but will take a few weeks for sure!  Then your muscles around the rib cage hurts because you've had to compensate for it, that's another two weeks aftwards..so, in all, you're looking at 10 weeks or so before you are 100%. 

Sorry for the bad news, but its the truth!  Ibuprofen helps  :thumb:

T

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #10 on: 5 Nov 2011, 06:49 pm »

Sorry for the bad news, but its the truth!  Ibuprofen helps  :thumb:

Thanks for the input.

Another day wherein it's worse than the day before. That's why I was asking. Normally, things are well on the mend by now. Not this, though. I'm eating Alleve like candy. Can't seem to find a comfortable position while breathing.  :(

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 5 Nov 2011, 07:10 pm »
Jerry how did you break them? I ask because sometimes the broken rib rubs up against your lung which doesn't help, plus trying to rule out punctures to be safe......Just being cautious not trying to freak you out.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #12 on: 5 Nov 2011, 07:24 pm »
Jerry how did you break them? I ask because sometimes the broken rib rubs up against your lung which doesn't help, plus trying to rule out punctures to be safe......Just being cautious not trying to freak you out.

I fell a few feet, left side first, onto a suprisingly rigid two-by-six. It was right under my armpit. Broke two ribs from it, just to the left of my sternum. It took several days for the pain to manifest itself at the point of the fractures. Now it hurts to do anything.

The doctor told me that if I start urinating blood to call immediately.  :duh:

Really?? I would have done that without hurting my ribs, Dude....  :lol:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 5 Nov 2011, 07:46 pm »
By the time you pass blood wouldn't it be kinda too late--LOL.....lol....don't laugh....sorry....hahahahahahaha!!!!!  I'm being a wiseguy....did they give you anything for the pain?? Take them if your not, if you are then I'm stuck!!!!   Hang in there!!!

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #14 on: 5 Nov 2011, 07:56 pm »
The pain meds don't stop the pain at all. They allow me to tolerate it; nothing more. The Alleve kicker helps, as does Sam Smith's Taddy Porter.  :thumb:

Getting old sucks. This hurts.  :o

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #15 on: 5 Nov 2011, 08:14 pm »
as does Sam Smith's Taddy Porter:thumb:

Getting old sucks (ahmen to that) . This hurts.  :o

Take 6 and call us in the morning.  :wink:

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #16 on: 5 Nov 2011, 08:32 pm »
I've broken them twice. Takes about 8 weeks to full recovery.

I sneeze twice a day, every day, so that was an added bonus.

Laughing is a pain, but take good care of yourself in the next few weeks. By far the worst thing that can happen is you develop a cough or flu in the next little while.

Might not work for you, but I found when you know a sneeze, laugh, or cough is coming, to give yourself a kind of hug, arms crossed and grasping your sides. It hurts less that way.

charmerci

« Reply #17 on: 7 Feb 2012, 05:35 pm »
To stop a sneeze, firmly press your finger just below your nose and above your lip.