NCore Listening Impressions

jonbee

Re: NCore Listening Impressions
« Reply #40 on: 7 Oct 2013, 05:58 pm »
Hi guys,

I have got a power amp  (H Class) and wanted to know if moving to Hypex NC400 would be an improvement in term of sonic performance.

I had a Cullen modded PS Audio GCC-500, which used the big Icepower modules, modded by Cullen.
After direct comparisons to Jason's tour NC400 amps I built my own and ran the comparisons again, only comparing the power amp section of the PS.
The NC400 is clearer, better focused overall, with a more extended top end and cleaner, more powerful bass. Better dynamics, too. Overall the Icepower sounded slightly muffled from top to bottom. I never felt the Icepower was muffled until I ran this comparison. The Icepower did not sound terrible, but the NC400 offered a cleaner window.
I ran the comparo for my audio group and everyone could clearly hear the difference, and all preferred the NC400.
The NC400 is a steal for the quality offered.

jackman

« Reply #41 on: 7 Oct 2013, 07:46 pm »
Your observations are similar to mine. Ncore sounds so clean and powerful. Highs are extended, bass is powerful and mids are very accurate.  I only use the amp for the mids and highs of my system but I'm still a big fan of the Ncore.  Maybe even a fanboy!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #42 on: 7 Oct 2013, 07:49 pm »

a.wayne

« Reply #43 on: 7 Oct 2013, 08:29 pm »
Still waiting for JT and the NC magic ..........  :D

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #44 on: 7 Oct 2013, 09:09 pm »
Still waiting for JT and the NC magic ..........  :D
Who's JT and what magic?

a.wayne

« Reply #45 on: 7 Oct 2013, 10:23 pm »
you tell me ................. :scratch:

EuroDriver

W4S ST-500 is in the closet
« Reply #46 on: 8 Oct 2013, 05:19 am »
The ST-500 is a pretty good implementation of the ICE modules

The NC400 have more detail, clearer soundstage, timbre just as good perhaps slightly better. Noise floor is significantly lower, yes I am a foot tapping, wow exclaiming fanboy

One caveat, I had to increase the amount of room treatment to handle the extra detail so as not to have a confused soundstage

Check my gallery to see the room treatment post NCore

art

• Industry Participant
    • Analog Research-Technology
« Reply #47 on: 8 Oct 2013, 06:03 am »
Well step aside buddy, there are those who prefer the Ice sound to Hypex...... Go figure ....... :lol:

Never got around to messing with Ncores, only the earlier Hypex. The ICEpower modules are too impedance sensitive. Surprised I still have hair left............

The ICEpower ones generally sound better into speakers that have a fairly flat impedance curve.

a.wayne

« Reply #48 on: 8 Oct 2013, 05:05 pm »
mine is flat , 1.5 ohm until  200 hz .. :D

art

• Industry Participant
    • Analog Research-Technology
« Reply #49 on: 8 Oct 2013, 06:17 pm »
Hope you are not using the 1kW ICEpower. You do not want to know what the FR is, above 10 kHz. (Yes, I have measured it. Yuk.) (You will also note they only spec the "hanger" version to 1 kHz. There is a reason.)

Enjoy!

Shaman

« Reply #50 on: 8 Oct 2013, 07:36 pm »
The latest generations of ICE (e.g. 125ASX2) have improved a bit in that regard.
Still, they're nowhere near the NCores.

cab

« Reply #51 on: 8 Oct 2013, 10:34 pm »

Still, they're nowhere near the NCores.

Is there anything class d that is?

Adhara

« Reply #52 on: 9 Oct 2013, 06:16 pm »

ClassDaudio SDS470 it is (from what I heard).

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #53 on: 9 Oct 2013, 06:41 pm »
ClassDaudio SDS470 it is (from what I heard).
Nah.  I owned every one of them and not even close.

Shaman

« Reply #54 on: 9 Oct 2013, 11:04 pm »

Nope - none that I'm aware of, at least in terms of measured performance.
Subjectively anyone can claim anything, of course.

Adhara

« Reply #55 on: 11 Oct 2013, 05:24 am »
I've seen some great enclosures for Ncore.
But I'm looking for one (great design) with a front power button.
Most of them have no power button or rear power button (not very practical in many  cases).

Any idea ? Thx

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #56 on: 11 Oct 2013, 05:34 am »
I've seen some great enclosures for Ncore.
But I'm looking for one (great design) with a front power button.
Most of them have no power button or rear power button (not very practical in many  cases).

Any idea ? Thx
Make a hole and put it wherever you want.  If you're going to purchase them from somewhere perhpas they can do it.  You'll need to ask them though.

greenkiwi

« Reply #57 on: 14 Oct 2013, 06:19 am »
Make a hole and put it wherever you want.  If you're going to purchase them from somewhere perhpas they can do it.  You'll need to ask them though.

You could tuck a toggle switch under the front panel/under the case.  Like many turn tables have their switch.

Folsom

« Reply #58 on: 18 Oct 2013, 03:36 pm »
Has anyone done a playback recording to compare waveforms to the wav. file?

I often wonder if such crazy detail is legitimate given live listening, acoustically, in a quaint setting doesn't offer near the detail. But that said I like the gain in intamacy from close vocal mics on slower lines.

fsimms

« Reply #59 on: 27 Oct 2013, 03:01 pm »
I often wonder if such crazy detail is legitimate given live listening, acoustically, in a quaint setting doesn't offer near the detail. But that said I like the gain in intamacy from close vocal mics on slower lines.

That is a very thought provoking post.  I spent quite some time thinking about it.  I think that a lot of the issue is due to the same effect that cleaning one’s glasses has.  All of a sudden colors are too vivid; the world seems too bright and clear. Things seem very unnatural.  You can’t blame the Ncores for having low distortion.  If one hears too much detail then it was in the recording. 

I had a similar problem when I put Ncores into my system.  At first the Ncores seemed to be too bright and thin.  The problem wasn’t just the Ncores.  I had tailored my system thin and bright to offset the fullness and softness of my previous amp.  I think speakers, preamps or sources are better choices for tailoring the sound of one’s system than amps are.

Salis, looking back at my post I see that one would think that I don’t agree with you.  Actually, I agree with every word of your post.  I am just trying to add my own twist.

Bob
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2013, 04:50 pm by fsimms »