Poll

How is your Mac connected to your audio system?

USB
15 (24.2%)
S/PDIF
6 (9.7%)
Firewire
5 (8.1%)
Ethernet
5 (8.1%)
Wifi
23 (37.1%)
1/8" Stereo
8 (12.9%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Poll: Mac Connectivity

Crimson

Poll: Mac Connectivity
« on: 27 Jan 2008, 09:33 pm »
Just curious to see if there's a general trend in how folks are interfacing their Macs with their respective audio systems. The poll is set up to allow users to choose more than one option (to accommodate people using a Mac(s) to feed more than one audio system).

I currently feed three systems, one via USB and two wifi feeds (although I have used a wired SB2 in the past).

« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2008, 06:59 pm by Crimson »

Panelman

Re: Poll: Mac Connectivity
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2008, 10:32 pm »

Crimson,

can you tell me how to do spdif out of my Mac? I've been researching how to do 24/96 files out of my MacBook Pro and thought I would only be able to do USB or Firewire and then convert that to SPDIF to send to my DAC but if I can get SPDIF out of the MacBook that would save a step.

Thank you

Crimson

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2008, 10:49 pm »
Hi,

You should have audio in and out 1/8" sockets on your MBP. These are combo mini-Toslink optical/headphone(mic) ports. You'll need a mini-Toslink to Toslink cable or adapter (available here from Apple, or here from PartsExpress). You'll also need to set your audio output sample rate to 24/96 in AudioMidi.

Hope that helps.

ZLS

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2008, 11:16 pm »
    I am using 1/8 stereo connecting my Macbook directly to my amp.  It is rude, crude, but a lot of fun. 
    I will in the near future be using a USB cable hooked to a DAC. 

Panelman

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2008, 11:25 pm »

Crimson,
thank you.  That is great, since I have a Toslink input on my DAC this will save me some money.

audioferret

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2008, 09:26 am »
The CIAudio VDAC2 with my Mac Mini and MacBook.  I use the mini-tosLink adapter and it works great.  My macbook setup doesn't work as well because the cabling on the left side of the laptop requires an awkward positioning of the DAC  - but it works out really well sonicly.

zacster

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jan 2008, 01:24 pm »
You left out an option, NONE.  I still have yet to connect my iMac to my stereo and I've had it 2 years now.  But as my earlier thread indicates, I'm going to start.  The biggest problem is that my mac is just a little too far away and I haven't invested in a wireless box such as a Squeezebox.  If I want a track that isn't already on a CD I just use my iPod to play it.

PhilNYC

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jan 2008, 03:23 pm »
I have my music on my iMac connected to three systems using a Transporter, Squeezebox, and Duet...all via wi-fi.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #8 on: 4 Feb 2008, 05:53 am »
I have an Edirol DAC & a KingRex T20U which i connect to via USB. I mostly play files off my iBook G4 (800 MHz -- old Macs just keep ticking, this one cost $250) My Dual 867 also hase files on it and i run ethernet to the Airport and then WiFi to the iBook)

It would be nice to find a suitable FireWire DAC but for now i'm happy with the Edirol.

dave

jackthecat

« Reply #9 on: 5 Feb 2008, 08:47 am »
Maybe the option of MAC with itunes / ipod and ipod / imod connected to stereo ?  :thumb: