I Need Help

ZLS

I Need Help
« on: 25 Jan 2008, 07:15 pm »
 :scratch:  Gentlemen,

Well here we go;

This is what I am attempting to do.  I have a 750GB Seagate outboard HD that I use to store all my music in Wave.(This was recently configured from Windows to Mac and the Flac files converted to Wave-This is when I learned that Wave is not native to Mac and Windows and Mac do not get along!)  I want to move my music in and out of my Mac and use the SG as a library to store and recall the music.  This will allow me to increase the storage beyond the 240 GB that I have on the Mac.  
    So, I now have a system where I make three left turns to go right.  I rip the CD into the Mac in Wave format then copy the file and move the copy to the SG then convert the Wave files on the Mac to Apple Lossless and then delete the Wave files.  Please tell me there is a quicker easier way!  
    Also, what is the best way to move the files from the SG back into Itunes on the Mac.  

Thank You

P.S. It took me forever to figure out that Itunes and Itunes music are two different things!

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
Re: I Need Help
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2008, 07:27 pm »
Why don't you just import the CDs as Apple Lossless?

dave

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2008, 07:40 pm »
The mac can rip the CD and save it on the external drive all in one process, if you do it while the drive is connected to the Mac.  If it's on your LAN then it's always available. Mac can play WAV no problem, but maybe not iTunes for political reasons only... Maybe try some other playback software that is more 'audiophilistic.' Foobar comes to mind, I'm sure there are many others. Something that plays flac, wav, whatever the hell you want.

Someone in the last couple issues of Stereophile was noting serious playback problems with iTunes. Ah yes it was engineer from Benchmark in mfg comments about their recent DAC-USB review. Maybe the problem is only with Win, but JA uses a Mac too, so it might affect you too. Check it out
Good luck ZLS
Rich

Crimson

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2008, 08:05 pm »
iTunes can read wav files. Make sure your external is connected and do the following:

1. Go to iTunes>Preferences>Advanced>General: Change the 'iTunes Music Folder Location' to point to your external's library where your wav files are stored, and make sure both 'Keep iTunes Music Folder Organized' and 'Copy Files to iTunes...............' are both checked. Click OK.

2. Now go to iTunes>Preferences>Advanced>Importing: Set 'Import Using' to WAV, and make sure that 'Automatically retrieve.......', 'Create File Names......', and 'Use Error Correction........' are all checked. Click OK.

3. Go to File>Add To Library...... and point to the parent directory on the external where your files are (the same directory specified above in 1). This will create pointers to all your files in the iTunes xml file (database file). Once complete, all your songs should be in your Library under Music (upper left hand side) but probably with no track info.

That was one way. If you are deciding to re-rip, follow number 1 and 2 above with either WAV or Apple Lossless selected in step 2 ( Apple Lossless is my preference as all track data is stored as part of the file, called metadata), and rip away.

Finally, and this is very important, NEVER start iTunes without your external connected and mounted. If this happens, iTunes will revert to it's default file location (on your local hard drive) and all future rips will be copied here. If this does inadvertently happen, perform number 2 above (and possibly number 3 if iTunes hasn't seen the external in 'a while'), and then go to Advanced>Consolidate Library...... which will copy your local files on to the hard drive.

Hope this helps.

Crimson

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2008, 08:09 pm »
Someone in the last couple issues of Stereophile was noting serious playback problems with iTunes. Ah yes it was engineer from Benchmark in mfg comments about their recent DAC-USB review. Maybe the problem is only with Win, but JA uses a Mac too, so it might affect you too. Check it out
Good luck ZLS
Rich

Please see my post addressing this here.