itune duplication questions

Woodsea

itune duplication questions
« on: 25 Jan 2008, 03:47 pm »
Hi,
How do I get rid of duplicates in iTunes?  Why do they come up?  I have manually checked the duplicates and hit delete and it only deletes the last highlighted checked song.
What is the best format to rip too?  Space not being a concern.
Thanks

low.pfile

Re: itune duplication questions
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2008, 04:51 pm »
woodsea,
the check box on the left of the song title in iTunes is for selecting whether or not a song PLAYS during playback-it is not used to select items for deletion. To delete multiple items in the iTune list you must highlight them and then delete. You can select multiple items clicking on an item while holding the apple icon/command key. You can use click with the Shift key for consecutive items selections. Google 'remove itunes duplicates' and there are more than a dozen scripts to to it automatically.

Ripping: your question infers "Best for quality". not best for player compatibility or  best for size efficiency. Though the best format for itunes is debatable and dependent on the resolution of your system. I use AIFF for my music server. AIFF is an exact copy of the CD, therefore no compression. Apple lossless saves about 25%-30% of disk space and seems to be nearly identical but is limited to using iTunes. though on my powerbook and ipods I use AAC at 192kb or 256kb due to space limitations so that is the best for that use. There is no single correct answer

BTW your system is not published on this site ...you are in that "system being edited" limbo you have to click on "[publish this system]" link

jaywills

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2008, 05:35 pm »
IIRC, in one of the iTunes dropdown menus ("view), there's a selection called "display duplicate songs" or something like that about second from the last choice in the menu.  Cordially,

Crimson

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2008, 05:43 pm »
IIRC, in one of the iTunes dropdown menus ("view), there's a selection called "display duplicate songs" or something like that about second from the last choice in the menu.  Cordially,

Yup, View > Show Duplicates. But be careful, as it shows duplicates based on the name of the track and artist only e.g a studio version and a live version of the same song will be shown as a duplicate. Then, as has been mentioned, use the apple/command key to highlight the tracks you want deleted.

Nels Ferre

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2008, 04:59 pm »
Apple lossless saves about 25%-30% of disk space and seems to be nearly identical but is limited to using iTunes.

This may be true for OSX, but not for Windows. JRiver Media Center 12 will playback AIFF, and Apple Lossless Files, as well as FLAC, WAV, Monkey's Audio and a a slew of others. Media Center 12 for Windows allows me to use something other than iTunes for playback, and at least in a Windows environment, I think  Media Center sounds better than iTunes as well. I can be auditioned free of charge for 30 days. After that, it is $40, not  a bad deal.

I know is the Apple forum, but there a lot of iTunes users that may find this information helpful.

Woodsea

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2008, 09:48 pm »
Thanks for the heads up.  Alot of us Intel Mac'ers can and do bootcamp it, so your comments are appreciated.
Thank you for all the answers guys.  I am still wading through a new environment.