Fidelia
Play
Other
JRiver

Poll: Mac Music Player

dB Cooper

Re: Poll: Mac Music Player
« Reply #60 on: 16 Aug 2016, 03:46 am »
+1 on Metadatics, really helps chop through the metadata weeds.

I voted for Fidelia in the poll but it hasn't had a significant (or even minor AFAIK) update in ages.

rbpeirce

« Reply #61 on: 7 Oct 2018, 10:27 pm »
I use PV/PM because it was the first one I found that made it easy to digitize my vinyl AND sounded good.  Others may be equal today, although I'd be surprised if any were better.  Unfortunately, PV has the ability to create bookmarks in iTunes which point to locations in the album file and saves a lot of disk space over creating an album file and then creating music tracks from that, but it locks you in.  Consequently, unless I want to create music tracks, which would take a very long time, I will be sticking with it.

I just discovered it has a bug that may be important to some.  It cannot downsample and play bookmarked tracks.  Downsampling can only be done from tracks that are on the disk.  This is only an issue if you create high-res files, bookmark them and later decide you need lower resolution for some reason.

rbpeirce

« Reply #62 on: 7 Oct 2018, 10:39 pm »
I then bought a calibrated USB microphone to check out the trial version of  "Amarra Symphony with iRC."  The room correction feature has turned a slight advantage into a large gulf.  I'm now getting far better sound and more enjoyment than with any source, analogue or digital, that I have used so far.

I did room frequency correction in Pure Vinyl/Music several years ago with similar results.  Now I am trying to get a Legacy Wavelet working to include time correction.  The Wavelet is independent of whatever software you are using but there is a problem on Macs.  It can handle up to 352.8kHz via its USB connection but it tells the Mac it can only handle 96kHz.  Therefore, you need software that can ignore what the Mac thinks.  Unfortunately, Pure Vinyl/Music can't.

Cabin life

« Reply #63 on: 31 May 2020, 12:31 am »
Jriver here. Running on MacBook Pro and has been running great. Now I just need to learn how to use all the functions. lol

stanfnelson

« Reply #64 on: 18 Jun 2020, 10:40 pm »
I am really enjoying the new version of Audirvana.  I think it is up to 3.5.2 now.  It is a audible improvement to 3.4.  It isn't free, but sounds FAR superior to iTunes, plays DSD and supports HiRez streaming.

I like the Fidelia interface but it has been forever since an improvement and it doesn't support Tidal and Qobuz from within the app. 

DeSelbyofDalkey

« Reply #65 on: 29 Jun 2020, 03:27 pm »
Thanks for the interesting (if old) replies. I thought that I had tried everything, but Fidelia and Metadatics are new to me.

I settled on iTunes and BitPerfect a while ago. I do not stream and no longer use wireless connections. I have never had issues with iTunes (at least in the last decade) and BitPerfect is excellent—especially on a machine dedicated to audio only.

I still think about getting a Mac Mini, but my old Core 2 Duo iMac accepts a 3.5" HD. It has a 3Tb HD right now, plenty of storage for uncompressed files.

jeraldej

« Reply #66 on: 1 Jan 2021, 07:11 pm »
I've tried Pure Music, Audirvana, RoonLabs's and find myself using JRiver Media Center the most

Pure Music was problematic for me; I didn't like the way it creates a bookmark file for each source file and it would often lock up on me.
I found that the recurring cost for RoonLabs was more than I was willing to pay, although I think their interface is fantastic

AudirVana is what I use when I want to handle MQA encoded files or when I am streaming from Tidal

I use this software on a Mid-2012 MacBook Pro 15 with the optical drive swapped out for a 2GB spindle drive and a 2012 MacMini setup with two drives as well. Both are running Mojave