Your first and/or most memorable Jazz concert?

MttBsh

Re: Your first and/or most memorable Jazz concert?
« Reply #20 on: 8 Jun 2012, 04:28 am »
The Mahavishnu Orchestra at the Paramount NW, Seattle, November 1972. I was completely unprepared for intensity, volume and virtuosity, especially as displayed on John McLaughlin's twin neck guitar. I was on mushrooms. The opening band was Joe Walsh with Barnstorm, which was a guitar fest in itself. I attended a lot of concerts in those days (40 years ago? yikes) but that show was definately in my top 5.

Just a side note. I still listen to Mahavishnu Orchestra concerts from 1972/1973 and I've still never heard a more fluid guitar virtuoso than McLaughlin, I love how he blended Jazz rock and blues into his mind-blowing riffs. But I can't stand anything the man has recorded in the past 30 years. Believe me, I've tried because I have so much respect for him, but his playing these days does absolutely nothing for me. He may have matured as a musician, but it's as if maturity means stripping away all excitement and emotion. Anyone else feel that way?

dB Cooper

« Reply #21 on: 8 Jun 2012, 10:54 am »
Haven't heard any of his recent output. Perhaps some mushrooms would help  :roll:

lazydays

« Reply #22 on: 8 Jun 2012, 05:35 pm »
many years ago I recieved two tickets in the mail from a still unknown source for a Monty Alexander concert in a church chaple on a local college campus. He played for over three hours with two intermissions serving champaign & cake. Probably the best I've ever been to. Another I went to a couple years ago was with Benny Golson. He described in detail about each tune he played and how they came about (plus who he wrote them for). Excellent to say the least!! Another inpromptu get together that lasted to daylight was with the guys that did New York In The Fifties with Nick Payton, Virgil Jones, and a couple added reed players. There was almost too much talent on the stage, and guys were almost constantly rotating places between songs. One of my altime favorites was a celebration of life get together for the late Claude Sifferlin. He was a very highly regarded piano player that taught many people we listen to today. There were folks that showed up from three and four hundred miles away just to play two or three songs. Everybody left with a lump in their throat, but the music was beyond outstanding. (there was a seven man waiting line just to set behind the piano alone)
gary

dB Cooper

« Reply #23 on: 13 Jun 2012, 04:44 am »
In the early 70s I photographed a rehearsal of Towson (Md.) University's  Jazz Ensemble, which was more like Big Band.  The director was Hank(?) Levy, if I remember, who arranged for Stan Kenton.

The power!  The intensity!  The sound!  Un-friggin-believable!    I still have a few of their recordings.  Saw Maynard Ferguson outdoors in downtown Baltimore a few years later.  Awesome!

Hank Levy, that's right. Knew a guy in the Ensemble in the late 70s.

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #24 on: 13 Jun 2012, 11:24 am »
While I was in college at Northeast Missouri State (1981), Dave Brubeck played at the small Performing Arts Center on campus. I was dating one of the art professors at the time, and she invited me to go. I had never really seen jazz of that caliber before, and the combo of Dave Brubeck and dating an "older woman", and the intimate venue made me a fan for life.  :thumb:

rodge827

« Reply #25 on: 13 Jun 2012, 01:00 pm »
My first was Buddy Rich and his band at Ocean County College in Toms River, NJ. It was either '80 or '81 and a group of us "drummers  :lol:" from my high school band went up to see him. Naturaly we were humbled, inspired and in complete awe of his command over the drums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=9esWG6A6g-k&NR=1

My most memorable was Diana Krall at The Shell in Trump Marina Atlantic City. The Shell is a small venue and we were at a table about 10' from the stage. It was Valentines Day 1999 and "Love Scenes" had been released the year before. She played in a trio with Christian McBride on bass and Russell Malone on guitar. We caught her at just the right time. She was on the way up but not quite "there" yet. In fact there were empty tables in the room. It was fun to watch and listen to the three of them play off each other and Dianas' voice had that raw soulful quality to it. Not the polished version she has today, but more of a gritty Diana where she truly injected herself into the music.