2022 Toyota Tundra

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
2022 Toyota Tundra
« on: 9 Oct 2021, 04:12 pm »
Are there any pickup enthusiasts here?

Toyota is set to release its new 2022 Tundra in November or December, and I'm seriously considering buying one. It's a completely new re-design in which everything is different from previous generations. Link: https://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/tundra/

I've owned an '07 Tacoma Prerunner since '09 that I've really enjoyed driving, loading with gear, and taking on vacations. However, it's getting a little long in the tooth, isn't 4X4, and has limited towing capacity. It's within a couple hundred miles of hitting the 100k mile mark, and my wife recently suggested it's time to upgrade to a more current model. My wife and I are debating buying a big enough travel trailer which will allow us to take longer excursions and adventures throughout N. America.

You're welcome to post about other pickups you think may be better (or worse). I'm not interested in smaller pickups (like the Tacoma or Ford Ranger) due to their limited towing capacities.

Michael

jjss49

Re: 2022 Toyota Tundra
« Reply #1 on: 9 Oct 2021, 07:03 pm »
i am a car enthusiast but not a pick up truck guy

that said, i have always thought that the honda ridgeline is a different and rather ingenius take on the old pick up truck idea, but i don't it tows much though

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2021, 08:36 pm »
Toyota is set to release its new 2022 Tundra in November or December, and I'm seriously considering buying one.

Buy it!!! 

I have a 2014 Tacoma with a bit over 100,000 miles, and if I could justify the need for a full size truck, the new Tundra would be at the top of the list. The other option is to wait a year or so to watch the battery-powered trucks emerge. I'm not a Ford guy, but that F-150 Lightning is very impressive!

Here's my truck (heavily modded, of course...)

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 9 Oct 2021, 09:44 pm »
Sorry the new Tundra looks like it's going to be GARBAGE. V6 turbo charged? Umm... so they're going from the most dependable commercial gas engine to something inherently never as dependable... Fuck that, I'm out.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 9 Oct 2021, 11:01 pm »
At 13 mpg, no thanks, that's only a little better than the 8 mpg I get in my 1977 Jeep Wagoneer. I once got 15 mpg with a tailwind coming down out of Denver.
But you will look real sharp pulling into a gas station.

So I swallowed my pride and bought a 2012 Ford Focus with very low miles from a friend for $4000 cash. Now I put in $10 of gas every 2 weeks. She got a 2021 Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid), now that's a nice space ship. The Prime has stale gas warning, Toyota says you should cycle the gas every 6 months.

I'm biding my time for a couple of years to see what type of electric vehicles come out, prices should be down by then. There are no discounts these days. Or I might get something a year or two old, maybe there will finally be a RAV4 Prime in town to test drive by then. The Jeep and Focus together will make a nice down payment.

Early B.

« Reply #5 on: 9 Oct 2021, 11:12 pm »
At 13 mpg, no thanks,...

That's the old Tundra. The 2022 mpg is expected to be significantly higher. 

Samac

« Reply #6 on: 9 Oct 2021, 11:37 pm »
Buy it!!! 

I have a 2014 Tacoma with a bit over 100,000 miles, and if I could justify the need for a full size truck, the new Tundra would be at the top of the list. The other option is to wait a year or so to watch the battery-powered trucks emerge. I'm not a Ford guy, but that F-150 Lightning is very impressive!

Here's my truck (heavily modded, of course...)

That’s one sweet looking Tacoma, Early B..  :thumb: I’d love to have one of those.

Cheers,

Scott

mresseguie

« Reply #7 on: 9 Oct 2021, 11:57 pm »
That's the old Tundra. The 2022 mpg is expected to be significantly higher.

EarlyB is correct. Toyota has not yet released official MPG numbers yet. However, I plan to hold out for the hybrid which is set to be released in late Spring 2022. Whisper numbers suggest a possible 30 mpg - not too shabby IMHO.

TomS

« Reply #8 on: 10 Oct 2021, 12:15 am »
I have a 2019 Tundra Crew Cab Platinum, still very old school design wise, but I absolutely love it. It has been flawless. I tow a boat ~9,000# loaded, so I'm pretty excited to see the 2022 in person. The hybrid V6 will be a beast, but even the base engine boosts towing to ~12,000#. They've improved everything about it, but the new rear coil setup and air suspension will be especially nice for our situation.

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 10 Oct 2021, 01:10 am »
I'm fine with 13mpg if it means basically no maintenance. Turbo replacement? ring replacement? Good luck saving money.

nickd

« Reply #10 on: 10 Oct 2021, 03:08 am »
I have owned several Toyota trucks since 1983. Drove a couple of them well over 200k miles. I’m a huge fan.

My company gave me a 2017 Ford F-150 in 2017 and it changed how I felt about American Trucks. Toyota pushed them to develop a quality vehicle.

I sold my last Tacoma in 2018 and bought a F150 super crew with the 2.7 eco boost. It is the nicest, yet capable vehicle I have ever owned. Rides like a car, is fast like a mustang GT and will pull my loaded flat bed trailer like a champ. 20-24 mpg is typical if you go easy on the boost.

Toyota is still the most dependable vehicle if you are going to go 250k miles. If you are only going to put 100k on it, think it becomes irrelevant. Newer trucks have all come a long way.

Also don’t worry about turbocharged designs. They are quite dependable if maintenance is kept up.

If you want a big trailer (over 5000lb loaded), I would still consider a 3/4 ton pickup. They just control the trailer better. The compromise is the stiffer ride and a bit more fuel.

Just my opinion. Don’t think you can go wrong with the new Tundra.

djpk

« Reply #11 on: 10 Oct 2021, 03:25 am »
I purchased a new Ford F150 four wheel drive with the 5.0 Liter V8 in 2016. I've been very happy with it and I get a consistent 21-22 MPG on the highway. I have no brand loyalty, but I've been very happy with this Ford.

RDavidson

« Reply #12 on: 10 Oct 2021, 05:16 am »
Agree with others here. Turbo engines are FAR more reliable than they were 10, 15, 20+ years ago. Auto makers have "cracked the code" with respect to building engines that are designed and made to be used with a turbo from the outset.

Also, nice Tacoma Early B. I had a late 90's Tacoma 4x4 with 5 spd manual many years ago. Pretty positive that the guy I sold it to still drives it. It was a fantastic vehicle and maintenance was VERY easy. I'm very fond of Toyota trucks and have had MANY thoughts of getting a Tacoma TRD Pro with manual trans. I'm sure the new Tundra will be great. I dream that some day they will bring the Hilux to the US.

Folsom

« Reply #13 on: 12 Oct 2021, 12:23 pm »
Ok they "cracked the code" but Honda CRV's have been having issues with their turbos and piston rings starting with the new model. It's not pretty. They're more reliable at first but over time? eh. They're competing with 200k+ v8's.

RDavidson

« Reply #14 on: 12 Oct 2021, 02:53 pm »
The 1.5L in those things is new in the Honda vernacular. I'm not exactly sure why they even made it. It's NOT a good engine. Their bread and butter has been 1.8L, 2.0L, 2.4L four cylinder engines and the 3.0L V6 for AGES. Then they come out with this 1.5L turbo and almost ruin their entire reputation. I'm sure many got fired for it. The 2.0L turbo and non-turbo is a ROBUST engine. Bulletproof is the industry term I think.

Still, I'd like to see more widespread data of (modern) turbo engines from various manufacturers with such problems. I don't think it exists...at least not yet. And it seems that adding turbos has become much more common over the last 10 years. I'd think we'd have plenty of data by now other than Honda's mishap.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #15 on: 12 Oct 2021, 04:25 pm »
Drove GM pick-ups for 30 years after starting with Toyota SR-5 in the 80's.

Now we love the Rams. 23 mpg with a Hemi and uber nice interior accommodations. I bought it for the seats and my size and fell in love with the truck and reliability and comfort. And the Hemi!! :oops:

Felt the Tundra was a dog compared to all others. Hopefully the redesign is peppier.

mresseguie

« Reply #16 on: 12 Oct 2021, 05:48 pm »
Drove GM pick-ups for 30 years after starting with Toyota SR-5 in the 80's.

Now we love the Rams. 23 mpg with a Hemi and uber nice interior accommodations. I bought it for the seats and my size and fell in love with the truck and reliability and comfort. And the Hemi!! :oops:

Felt the Tundra was a dog compared to all others. Hopefully the redesign is peppier.

BRM,

I must admit that I have not looked at RAM trucks due to my bias against Dodge/Chrysler vehicles. The passenger vehicles are <in my biased opinion > garbage. That said, I have heard guys say the RAM pickups are reliable. I’ve got plenty of time to research all the choices, and I will look at RAM pickups (and F150s, GMC/Chevy, etc.). If I’m going to drop $50k to $60k on a new pickup, I’m going to learn everything I can about it and its competition.

Early B.

« Reply #17 on: 12 Oct 2021, 05:59 pm »
I dream that some day they will bring the Hilux to the US.

I don't understand why auto manufacturers design cooler looking vehicles for all other markets except America. The Toyota Hilux would sell better than the Tacoma in this country.

Folsom

« Reply #18 on: 13 Oct 2021, 02:55 am »
I don't understand why auto manufacturers design cooler looking vehicles for all other markets except America. The Toyota Hilux would sell better than the Tacoma in this country.

Give me Model 70's Landcruisers all F'ing day. PLEASE. Diesels.

The US laws are shit for importing cars is why... They have people making STUPID decisions about aesthetics based on piss poor market research. Then you have to purposely crash a LOT OF CARS to pass tests for general US sales...

US cars are not even safer, they're just a different standard for basically the same or less safety than other countries.

So what do we get? Sky high diesel prices, ugly vehicles, and a big bill. Hondas and Toyotas that are not hybrids are MUCH cheaper in Canada for example.

RDavidson

« Reply #19 on: 13 Oct 2021, 07:38 pm »
I recently read that the Tacoma and the Hilux will be on the same platform when the next generation is due. If that's true, we'll see what happens. It makes sense and what I think *could* be the case is that the Tacoma and Hilux will become essentially one and the same, just branded differently for various regions/markets.

But this speculation doesn't ease my want for an actual Hilux here now. :lol: