The Limits Of Control - Arty or Farty?

rockadanny

The Limits Of Control - Arty or Farty?
« on: 16 May 2018, 03:07 pm »
I love Jim Jarmusch films (Ghost Dog, Broken Flowers, Coffee & Cigs, Night On Earth, Mystery Train, Stranger Than Paradise, Gimme Danger) but "The Limits Of Control" was tortuously boring for me. And I love slow developing films. Beautifully filmed and meticulously crafted, but for naught. To me, this film fails to develop anything. And I find its premise: life is "dirt", meaningless, empty, worthless, and only imagined, boring and depressing.

Anyone else?

rockadanny

Re: The Limits Of Control - Arty or Farty?
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2018, 05:29 pm »
IMO those mysterious pieces of paper he ate had the location of art (paintings) in the gallery whose subject was related to his assignment (guitar, naked woman, etc.)

What do you think?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2018, 05:36 pm »
I too love Jarmusch and I watched this movie but unfortunately it was back in my drinking days so I don't remember it very well at all. 

But I do love the title.  As an engineer/control freak type, I repeat it to myself as a little mantra quite frequently. 

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2018, 06:09 pm »
Some movies that are meant to be pieces of art turn out to be pieces of shit. Do you recall "The Black Rainbow" ? Previews made it look like the coolest thing ever. I was all  :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: but afterwards I was like...  :duh: :roll: :evil: :duh: :roll: :evil: :evil: :duh: :duh: :duh:

But I must admit I have limits of tolerance for melodrama. That's true for music too. At some point you just sound dead, not laid back.

wushuliu

« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2018, 08:03 pm »
Ghost Dog is kind of a sleeper contender for one of the best films ever. Dead Man, too. But I start to fall asleep with any of his others.