digital cables - glass toslink versus coax

mr_bill

« on: 29 Aug 2005, 03:20 am »
Has anyone tried the glass toslink cables, that I've seen highly touted and very reasonable I might add.  I'm using the venerable Illuminati D-60.
Anyone compared a glass fiber toslink to a top rated coax?
Thanks,
Bill

ctviggen

« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2005, 11:34 am »
I've compared glass link with coax from Bolder Cables with BNC connectors (can't remember whether it's digital cable or the ICE variety -- I think it's the regular digital cable) and liked the coax better.  I ran them both from my transport to my preamp, so I was able to switch back and forth between the two.

John Ashman

• http://forum.adnm.com
« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2005, 03:36 pm »
It's better to keep the signal in the electrical domain for lower jitter rather than Toslink.  Glass can't fix any issues with optical, nor is it really better than plastic except, maybe, over many miles.  The send/receive on a toslink isn't as precise as that of electrical (coax).  The only use for toslink is if you are getting a hum via coax.

art

• Industry Participant
    • Analog Research-Technology
« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2005, 03:43 pm »
I can not think of any reason to use TOSLINK. If you have hum, put a transformer in the link. Ok, so you will have to pay someone competent to do it. (Another story all by itself.)

Unless you have a run of 1 km or so, glass does not work properly. Yes, it will pass data without errors, but that is not how to evaluate its worth.

Pat

mr_bill

« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2005, 03:57 pm »
Thanks for all the comments fellas - they've been helpful!

Gordy

« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2005, 04:00 pm »
The Jensen line level transformers work a charm! These are the same transformers Rowland uses in their amps... totally transparent to my ears anyway! Note, I've only used them between pre and amp though...

art

• Industry Participant
    • Analog Research-Technology
« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2005, 06:47 pm »
I was refering to SPDIF transformers.............

Probably best to not get me wound up on that subject.

BTW.........Jeff mostly uses Lundahls these days.

Pat