Anyone else at Bela Fleck last night?

Mr Peabody

Anyone else at Bela Fleck last night?
« on: 28 Jun 2019, 03:28 pm »
If not, you missed a great show.  Well, unless, you don't like them :)  There was a brief break between sets, it seemed like the band was even more fired up on the second set.  One encore, but the band let Wooten and Futureman just explode.

Every member of the band is a virtuoso.  Futureman playing the drums with his right hand while playing another electronic percussion instrument with his left.  An instrument he invented.  I forget the keyboard player's name, he also plays harmonica, and, sometimes both at the same time.  Mr. Wooten did not disappoint, we kept wondering if his bass was going to go flying at some point.  Not least, Bela was great as usual.

They played a couple songs from the first album and mostly songs from 89-92.  A friend of mine was disappointed, no Flight of the Cosmic Hippo.

I have to say I was expecting better sound from Powell Hall, but maybe the hall wasn't designed for electronic music.  It wasn't terrible, just a bit congested when the entire band was firing and some slap echo.

Mike B.

Re: Anyone else at Bela Fleck last night?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2019, 03:47 pm »
I saw them a couple weeks back at the Shedd in Eugene Oregon. My first time seeing them live. Excellent show in a much improved venue. What is the name of the hand held instrument Future Man was playing?

Mr Peabody

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2019, 08:27 pm »
They didn't say what the name of the instrument was.  Victor introduced Futureman as his big brother and mentioned he invented the device but never called it's name.

Blackmore

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2019, 08:30 pm »
I think he calls one of his instruments a Drumitar.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2019, 09:43 pm »
Damn.  Was hoping to fit it into my schedule. :(

vinyldavid

• Collectorious Giganticus
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 2019, 01:20 am »
I'm not sure who was mixing, but Powell just got a new Danley audio system recently.  From what little I've heard out in the house, it was a huge improvement.

I saw photos that showed a guy mixing from stage-I don't know if that was Monitor World or not.  Sorry the sound sucked so bad.

Cz606

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jun 2019, 05:12 pm »
I was there too. Excellent show! I’m looking forward to my next chance to see them.

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
  • VPE Aerospace Consulting, LLC - LDW Model 1
« Reply #8 on: 1 Jul 2019, 12:18 am »
I was at the "Live From Here" show with Chris Thile and it sounded great where I was.  They had both Thile's band (amplified) and the SLSO (unamplified) on the stage at the same time.  Very cool and you could hear everything pretty well. 

That said, Powell Hall's primary mission is acoustic projection of the SLSO for which it is beyond excellent.  It is one of the best classical venues in the world.

Mr Peabody

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jul 2019, 01:28 am »
I've been to Powell several times to see the symphony and it was great.

It was just probably the set up for Bela.   I've definitely heard worse.  The piano, harmonica and Banjo was good, the electronic percussion was good, just when the band was playing all at one time the bottom got a bit congested.  Who knows it may have been different in other areas of the hall.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #10 on: 1 Jul 2019, 02:54 pm »
Unfortunately had another commitment.  Would have loved to see them.